Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pollen filter

Dushio

Hi, can anyone recommend which pollen filter to fit to my rav4 HEV mk5 please. My car was recently serviced (minor service@ £240] at Toyota but the pollen filter wasn’t changed. When I asked it was explained to me that the pollen filter was part of the air con service - an extra £125 which included regassing  the air con which I didn’t feel I needed yet. I tend to regass the air con once every 5 years so that’s next year for me. Getting back to the point, the pollen filters on Amazon and eBay vary from £6 to £36 and more and are either plain paper or charcoal - any thoughts gratefully received.

• Like 2

As far as I'm aware changing the air con filter (pollen filter) is included within the Full service.

Charcoal filters are supposed to be more effective -

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-cabin-filters-the-secret-to-cleaner-air-infographic/

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dushio said:

Hi, can anyone recommend which pollen filter to fit to my rav4 HEV mk5 please. My car was recently serviced (minor service@ £240] at Toyota but the pollen filter wasn’t changed. When I asked it was explained to me that the pollen filter was part of the air con service - an extra £125 which included regassing  the air con which I didn’t feel I needed yet. I tend to regass the air con once every 5 years so that’s next year for me. Getting back to the point, the pollen filters on Amazon and EBay vary from £6 to £36 and more and are either plain paper or charcoal - any thoughts gratefully received.

If you send me your reg I’m at work until 4 pm today can get you a part number 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware changing the air con filter (pollen filter) is included within the Full service.

Exactly so ... the cabin filter is to be inspected at every service (and the owner advised if it needs changing) and changed at a Full or Full+ service (so every two years).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dushio said:

Hi, can anyone recommend which pollen filter to fit to my rav4 HEV mk5 please. My car was recently serviced (minor service@ £240] at Toyota but the pollen filter wasn’t changed. When I asked it was explained to me that the pollen filter was part of the air con service - an extra £125 which included regassing  the air con which I didn’t feel I needed yet. I tend to regass the air con once every 5 years so that’s next year for me. Getting back to the point, the pollen filters on Amazon and EBay vary from £6 to £36 and more and are either plain paper or charcoal - any thoughts gratefully received.

Your dealer is wrong and is mis-leading you, At the last Service price increase Toyota added Replace Pollen filter to all services, taken from online service booking site:

We recommend that Toyota owners carry out a 30,000 miles/3 Years intermediate service as per schedule. Scheduling regular service appointments as per your vehicles service schedule helps maintain the health and longevity of your vehicle whilst helping prevent maintenance issues down the road.

• Carry out 30K/36 month intermediate service as per schedule.
  • Includes:- Replace engine oil & oil filter.
  • Replace windscreen washer fluid.
  • Check all fluid levels & top up as required.
  • Inspect Battery for leaks, security of clamps & terminals.
  • Inspect cooling system, hoses & connections.
  • Inspect radiator & condenser for debris & signs of damage.
  • Inspect air filter element.
  • Inspect charcoal canister.
  • Inspect brake pads & discs.
  • Inspect steering wheel, gear & linkages.
  • Inspect for under vehicle and under hood fluid leaks.
  • Inspect tyre condition & inflation pressures.
  • Check wheel nuts for correct torque specifications.
  • Check brake pedal travel.
  • Check operation of lights, horns, wipers & washers.
  • Check function of all warning lights.
  • Replace pollen filter.
  • Check seat belts for damage & operation.
  • Check installation of driver's floor mat.
  • Carry out hybrid health check.
  • Carry out wash & vacuum.
  • Carry out visual safety report

Snipped from current Service check sheet:

image.thumb.png.4d82844e04c4c9643b975fce624b82d4.png

• Like 7

Just in case, part numbers for UK Pollen filters are:

Standard 87139-YZZ33 £19.11 + VAT

Enhanced 87139-YZZ34 £29.48 + VAT

Anti Allergen 87139-YZZ86 £34.08 + VAT

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

At the last Service price increase Toyota added Replace Pollen filter to all services

OK ... 🙂 ... I simply reflected what it said on my most recent service sheet ... last September ... 😉

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, philip42h said:

OK ... 🙂 ... I simply reflected what it said on my most recent service sheet ... last September ... 😉

The information was correct in Sept 22 the changes cam in Jan 2023

• Like 4

Brilliant, thanks for all the replies, so I had the minor annual service - not the full one this time, Toyota said the pollen filter wasn’t included, a bit strange as it is only a 2-3 minute job. Anyway, I will use the links provided and get a Toyota pollen filter ordered. I have to say that the Toyota dealer service that I received was excellent. 

• Like 3

I don't know when it changed, as like you I've never had them change the pollen filter in my previous cars, but in my new one they've changed it every service so far! (And I checked!)

They also said they'd put in the charcoal one on request if booked in advance (Apparently they don't normally stock them), but I'd have to pay the difference.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

On my 2017 pollen filter is changed in major services, means every other service.  I normally ask them to replace every year anyway or I get the OEM filter with them (last one in 2022 was £22.00) and change myself.  It is literally 5min job.

Pollen filter should not be changed only when you service the air con, this is a lie from whoever told you.  I had my air con recharged today after 5years, because it is this new "eco friendly" gas, it cost me £170.00 for a recharge only, against £65.00 from normal gas in my van. (Thank you Greta and associates!).

• Like 2

Serviced RAV4 and Auris recently (both minor services)  and Toyota dealer replaced pollen filters with the enhanced (activated carbon) filters.
You can get 3rd party activated carbon filters online, few part numbers I used in the past:
NAPA NFC4050 - used this last time, under £8
HENGST E4959LC
Bosch R5590

• Like 3

On 5/27/2023 at 8:07 AM, Dushio said:

If you are aiming at the top quality filter, consider MANN-FILTER FP 22 032 or cheaper version

mann CU 22 032 - standard
mann CUK 22 032 - carbon activated
mann FP 22 032 - FreciousPlus

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/mann-filter/16598236
https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/mann-filter/16598236

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Smani said:

On my 2017 pollen filter is changed in major services, means every other service.  I normally ask them to replace every year anyway or I get the OEM filter with them (last one in 2022 was £22.00) and change myself.  It is literally 5min job.

Pollen filter should not be changed only when you service the air con, this is a lie from whoever told you.  I had my air con recharged today after 5years, because it is this new "eco friendly" gas, it cost me £170.00 for a recharge only, against £65.00 from normal gas in my van. (Thank you Greta and associates!).

The rise in price is purely on the gas prices R134 and 1234yf have hit record highs in recent years by up to 10x, 1234yf has always been nearly double the cost or R134, disposal costs have gone up as have labour rates

• Like 3

Hybrid ac regas was £130 back in 5+ years in Toyota dealers. At least you know you will get the right oil in. I had twice regas my car in different independent places on machines that does both hybrid and non hybrids but very likely my system is contaminated although works perfectly fine even after so many years. Pollen filter changes with each oil service 10k miles and exclusively I use Blueprint most basic filter, which btw has very good quality paper, perhaps the best of all basic filters available. When new it’s blue and when gets old changes the colour nicely so you know it’s time for a new one. 
image.thumb.jpeg.0868815bd66df3c94ab439127661fedb.jpeg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The rise in price is purely on the gas prices R134 and 1234yf have hit record highs in recent years by up to 10x, 1234yf has always been nearly double the cost or R134, disposal costs have gone up as have labour rates

The price of gas in Halfords is the same as it was two years ago.  I know because I bought that gas two years ago.

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Hybrid ac regas was £130 back in 5+ years in Toyota dealers. At least you know you will get the right oil in. I had twice regas my car in different independent places on machines that does both hybrid and non hybrids but very likely my system is contaminated although works perfectly fine even after so many years. Pollen filter changes with each oil service 10k miles and exclusively I use Blueprint most basic filter, which btw has very good quality paper, perhaps the best of all basic filters available. When new it’s blue and when gets old changes the colour nicely so you know it’s time for a new one. 
image.thumb.jpeg.0868815bd66df3c94ab439127661fedb.jpeg

I don't think the AC gas type has something to do with the car being hybrid or not.  The difference in type of gas is the newest one (1234yf) is more environmentally friend and has other advantages in relation to the old one, I have read somewhere that it could last longer and it would not recharge your system if there is a leak, so you know straight away further issues.  Obviously, the main disadvantage is being a lot more expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smani said:

I don't think the AC gas type has something to do with the car being hybrid or not.  The difference in type of gas is the newest one (1234yf) is more environmentally friend and has other advantages in relation to the old one, I have read somewhere that it could last longer and it would not recharge your system if there is a leak, so you know straight away further issues.  Obviously, the main disadvantage is being a lot more expensive.

The difference in ac systems in hybrids is the oil inside. Usually special machines can only service hybrids with high voltage ac compressor which are all the Toyota hev. And this alone makes the ac service more expensive than the other non hybrid cars that use standard belt driven compressors. When we add the 1234yf higher price and here we have £170 for a service, which when you think only done once every 4-5 years it’s not that bad. In hot weather countries where most people have ac in house they do service  them every 2-3 years otherwise the ac stop working fine or at all. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stivino said:

The price of gas in Halfords is the same as it was two years ago.  I know because I bought that gas two years ago.

Because it's junk, it has a filler rather than pure gas and can cause issues in the long term, fine on older cars but anything with a modern variable compressor that's a big no

the hybrids need the correct ND-8 oil due to the fact it has an electric compressor and uses the gas and oil to cool the compressor

https://www.coolingpost.com/world-news/high-gwp-refrigerants-show-upward-price-trend/

don't forget if it is being done by a shop you have the cost of the equipment and the person doing the work has to be FGas certified and is renewed every 3 years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Because it's junk, it has a filler rather than pure gas

Can you re-inforce that with evidence?

From the STP website.

STP® Auto Freeze and STP® EZ Chill are R-134a refrigerants, specially formulated with an advanced additives package to help top up lost refrigerant and restore cold air to an automotive air conditioning system. The patented ICE 32® additives package contains active chemistry to help remove deposit build up on the interiors of A/C system pipes and tubes, therefore increasing the cooling efficiency. The specially designed formula also includes leak sealers and O-ring conditioners to help minimise refrigerant loss and prolong A/C system performance. Using STP® Auto Freeze and STP® EZ Chill Air-con Recharge is easy. This 10-minute recharge job is as simple as the rest of your car maintenance: checking engine oil, the tyre pressure, replacing screen wash.

I'm sure your comment would amuse STP much.

You are not sealing any leaks, you are not evacuating the system or vacuuming the system down to boil any water off the system or receiver/drier, with straight R134 you are not adding any lubrication, the charge is not being weighed in, it's purely on pressure alone

Anyone can put out a product and write a blurb about it - if you read STP's own site "compatible formula" but compatible with what ? What standard or spec ?

Blown head gasket no problem, Just put a bottle of snake oil in the coolant, all fixed

• Confused 1

You either didn't read it or, you didn't understand what it said.