Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Information

Deano-d

I am going through my second youth and really fancy owning a Toyota Surf, even though she who must be obeyed say’s they are too old and look to boxy, but what does she know.

I have been looking around for sometime and have test driven a few different vehicles. My problem now is the conflicting information I have been given by some of the dealers/owners I have seen, mainly regarding the overheating of the 2.4 diesel engines. Can anybody tell me if there really is a fault with these engines overheating and cracking the head? Some say there is not a problem, one dealer told me not to touch a 2.4 as the engines are so unreliable, another told me the fault is due to the cars sitting in traffic more than driving round Japan. I’m now confused, which does not take a lot to do, should I take the advice and not bother with a 2.4?

Is there anything that can be done to stop the overheating and can anyone tell me a company that can complete the work? Roughly how much would it cost?

If I do get one, I will be driving a lot of motorway miles, I have been told to expect to get between 30 to 35 mpg, on a 2.4 diesel, this is sticking to the speed limit or course!!!. Is this a fair average, I don’t have lead boots.

Any other useful information regarding what to look for on a Surf would be gratefully accepted as I need to persuade the Mrs buying one is a viable proposition.

Don’t want much do I.

Thanks in advance for any useful information.

Deano I cant answer your questions but these guys can if no one here is able.

Its an Aussie site for toyota.There is at least 30-40 hilux and surf owners and many are diesel.

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/...ewforum.php?f=8

I thought it was the V6 petrol that gave all the grief with blown head gaskets at 100k.

For more info on surfs have a look at these UK sites, http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/index.php?

On the yotasurf site a poll of 2.4 owners revealed that it was less than 20% who had overheating problems, and if you did have a problem it would cost around £1500 to put it straight.

My own opinion is that a lot of the vehicles that come in from Japan have been clocked, so try to find a dealer who is BIMTA approved and make sure you get a good warranty.

http://www.bimta.co.uk/default.asp

My hiace has the 1KZTe motor, depsite being assured this would not suffer the head trouble it did and cost me 1200 bucks to fix, that included a recon head from ukcyclinderheads, and a recored rad , new stat etc.

If you are worried get the coolant sniffed when you buy it.

As an insurance consider getting the rad recored and the system propely flushed.

The driving thing is back to front, the reason they overheat is they are not driven that far in Japan, compared to here, my hiace was 9 YO when I got it with 50k kilos on the clock, looked as though it had sat in a chimney though, interior is filthy.

The only time my temp rises above normal now is when I am a bit late for work and then only on Wrotham Hill on the M20 which is a renown engine killer.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links