Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2021 Hybrid 1.8 - front brakes short squeaks

rado77

Hi guys,

As I understand braking system, it's "brake by wire", but it doesn't matter at the end, front brakes has the same components as classic brakes. My issue - when car is going to full stop, it shortly squeaks. And the same squeak is there when car is not moving and I release brake pedal - again short squeak. Is this normal behaviour of Toyota hybrids? I cannot imagi e that Toyota will release car with this behaviour and says "Yeah well, it's ok for our customers"...

I bought it year ago, previous owner was guy from Toyota dealership directly. I saw full history, there was nothing but 1st maintenance record after 1 year. No repair related to brakes. You can hear it on this video - I moved car here and there...I can record more videos if needed

It looks to me like power of front brakes is "fighting" with power of MG2...I test dove another 1.8 before I bought mine, but I don't remember any squeaking there... It's happening only at full stop, and then when I release brake pedal. + another last squeak when I put shift gear to P, release braje pedal, and after 1 or 2 seconds there's last 1 squeak. I just need to know if this is normal, or if I need to add it to dealership for warranty repair. Strange is that technicians solved my previous issue with knocking sounds (stabiliser bar bushings, then both stabilizer link bars)....and they didn't hear it??? That's why I'm confused

3 minutes ago, rado77 said:

It looks to me like power of front brakes is "fighting" with power of MG2...I test dove another 1.8 before I bought mine, but I don't remember any squeaking there...

This is always been the case with any automatic car with torque converter transmission or any Toyota hybrid. The car push itself forward while brakes are holding it back and the results are some squeaking noises and vibrations.  

Aaaaa Hi Tony! I knew that you'll reply soon :-)  So this is normal...unfotunatelly ;-(

• Like 1

Haaa now I remember - the guy on my test drive pushes P button before test drive - in that case when I stopped car, automatic park brake applied and I didnt have to hold brake pedal on crossroads. It was good for my leg on long red lights, but car didn't fight with MG2 and it releases autobrake (on rear brakes) when I pressed accelerator. Thats why I didn't notice this squeaking on test drives. But I dobt like this aitobrake, I have to activate it manually before each trip and I like automatic car movement during parking and so on. Yeah, Ok, it is what it is :-)

I can tip you how to stop these squeaking noises temporarily, just wash the car or the wheels only with good car tfr mixture or any non acidic wheel cleaner and hose water or jet wash and leave it overnight. Don’t forget to disengage auto parking brake before that. 
The next morning the discs will have thin yellowish brownish colour layer of corrosion which is abrasive and once you start to use the brakes this will scrub the very shiny surfaces that you had previously and make your brakes slightly quieter. But your happiness may not last long., if you drive a lot they will get polished again and develop the same squeaking. Btw about the brakes you should only worry about rust, scored discs, stuck pistons and callipers sliders. Anything else it’s just normal. 

Thanks Tony. I already did this and didn't help :-( But it is as it is, nothing else I can do. It's not sonething horrible...I just never faced this behaviour on previous cars (appr 8). But all of them was atmospheric petrol engine with manual gearbox. This is new world! :-)  I went through this forum and found a lot of useful inf. Few days ago (when outside temp went high to 27 degrees), I noticed that tiny dashboard rattling on passenger's side. During ride I pressed that surface by hand and it stopped. I have to check that windshield/dashboard area and add there some black rubber or piece of foam....

• Like 1

The squeaky noise just at the last seconds are often from the contamination on the brake pads. It is either oil, rust, or some dirt. It will be gone. I have similar squeaky noise at the end of rainy winter.  After I came back from Alps vacation for 1k miles, the noise went away.  I just ignore it because it is very short squeal. 

Dashboard rattle needs a good documentation. Bring someone to take video when it happened. It is built quality issues that you can claim for warranty within 3 years. It is annoying, a big job, and Toyota must fix it for free.

• Thanks 1

Hello Aisin,

I have those short squeaks during full stop and then releasing brake pedal all the time - we bought this car in December 2022 (car was 1 year old) and squeaking was already there. So I thought that it's normal behaviour of these cars. 

That dashboard rattling - it wasnt there before, it starts to rattle when outside temp increased to 27 degrees. This rattling is "quick"....like some wire is touching plastic and it's very sensitive to any inperfection of the road, small bumps, cracks in concrete...if the road is "clean", there's no noise of course. Yep, it's under warranty, maybe they already have experience with this issue

Today I applied braje clraner from both sides of front discs....still the same, new video. I'll go to the dealer to check brake pads, add thermal paste on pad guides, maybe check pistons

12 hours ago, rado77 said:

Today I applied braje clraner from both sides of front discs....still the same, new video. I'll go to the dealer to check brake pads, add thermal paste on pad guides, maybe check pistons

You should probably stop paying attention to these little things and enjoy driving your recent Corolla. Look at the fuel consumption and how smooth and nice drives and that’s it. This car is so popular and well known for no real problems, just enjoy it and not trying to make it any better than what actually is. Less you go to dealers and mechanics less trouble you will have and your car will last longer. If no visual problem seen, nothing visually broken,  no faults on dashboard, then it’s ok. This is how I would have go 👍

• Like 1

That' reminds me or my Prius 2 that always squeak just before I stoped no matter how we try to fix it.  it is still fine with original front brakes even when I sold it at 230k miles.  

• Like 2

like tony says, if it`s not broken don`t fix it. just enjoy the car.

• Like 1

Watch this.. and it's getting worse. This is not the worse sound - I drove my car few hours before I recorded thid. But when I unlock the car after 24 hours, there's also squeaking, whistling, creaking and other strange sounds, including something like "skipping 1 teeth in mechanism". That's why I want to fix it because it's getting worse and worse

Rado77 

All I can hear on your last video is mirrors moving into position.

Regarding your sharp abrupt stopping and car jerking have you tried just turning off brake hold function so your hand brake wont come on every time you stop.

Just use your foot brake unless you come to a red light ect then apply hand brake this way you may find its less jerking. (Do not move into park until end of your trip.)

• Like 1

Hand brake (or electronic brake) is applying on rear wheels, it has nothing to do with front brakes (where the creak is comming from). Of course I tried everyting possible how to eliminate that braking creak.

For that driver"s mirror - I'll record a video tomorrow to show what I mean

Just mentioned and documented them before 3 y warranty is over. I think you can ask and show to the mechanics or service advisor in dealership when you have annual maintenance 

Exactly :-) Next maintenance is in November so I'll address it then. Till that time I can collect as much info as I can...but I'm sure that they already know about issues like these and how to solve it

The brake noise you have is a kind of normal from surface rust after the rainy days.  I though it was loud sqeaking noise like someone scratching metal plate with nails.   I am not sure about the folding mirror, because I never had one. You can grab a silicon spray and spray it under the mirror where it moves and rotate. You may have some contaminations between the surface. 

• Like 1

If you expect Toyota to sort it out on your 3 service I expect it be at additional cost unless its serface rust in that case they just say use your brakes more and use B mode less just keep B mode for realy steep descents.

• 1 month later...

Regarding rear driver's mirror opening sound - month ago I applied silicone spray, that solved whole issue. Anyway car is at dealer today and they'll disasseble plastic covers for both mirrors and aply also grease on "return spring" inside

• Like 1

Yes, any moving parts need regular regreasing or spray. Just like Sienna sliding doors.  

Grease are rarely last forever unless it is special Polyurea base grease. 

• 6 months later...

Update - regarding original topic about short squeak from front brakes when car fully stops/ or starts to move, dealer told me that they will replace frobt brake pads. My suspission is that previous owner cleaned wheels with some chemical (like wax) and pads soaked it....let's see, I'll keep you informed

Bilt hamber atom mac sprayed onto discs after cleaning will stop rust build up 

My disc are always shiny like new. This is not related to rust, this is related to forces - MG2 vs Brake pads pressure on the discs. It's hard to explain, but you can hear it on video which I posted above. It's very short creak when car reach zero speed. And again (when I'm waiting on green light on crossroad for example, with pressed brake pedal), and I release brake pedal and car starts to move forward, there's also this short creak (before I fully release brake pedal). During this very short period of time I also feel vibrations over whole car. Previously dealer also applied thermal paste to lubricate traveling ways for brake pads, but it didn't help

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links