Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Suzuki Swace owner looking for spark plug info.

Andrew Swace

Hi everyone, I'm new here.  I have a 2022 Suzuki Swace (Corolla Sport Touring 1.8 Hybrid) in Sweden. 

Suzuki Sweden, in all their genius, does not include a scheduled maintenance booklet, they simply say to bring it in every 15k km where they then proceed to rip you off with **** you don't need. Doing a bunch of short, cold, trips? Just bring it in at 15k intervals. Stupid. 

This makes doing your own maintenance tricky as maintenance manuals for our cars are impossible to find online. I can find US maintenance manuals and use those intervals, but the one I'm stuck on is spark plugs. In California for example, because of emissions laws, spark plugs have to last 120,000 miles (193,000 km) and this is the replacement interval specified in the California manuals (maybe the whole US too). 

I assume the UK/EU has no such stupid law and the interval is different. 

The spark plugs for my/our car are Denso FC16HR-CY9 according to my owners manual. 

Can anyone confirm what the OEM (UK) maintenance manual specifies as a replacement interval(s) for spark plugs on the 1.8L Hybrid? 

Cheers. 

It will be the Toyota 2ZR-FXE engine 100-120k miles is about right, but real world 80-90k miles, technology has come a long way in the case of Iridium and platinum plugs

FC16HR-CY9 is correct, or you could upgrade to IXEH20TT Iridium TT (Twin Tipped)

Toyota service sheets are a paid service

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It will be the Toyota 2ZR-FXE engine 100-120k miles is about right, but real world 80-90k miles, technology has come a long way in the case of iridium and platinum plugs

FC16HR-CY9 is correct, or you could upgrade to IXEH20TT Iridium TT (Twin Tipped)

Good info, thanks. Do you happen to know what interval the UK owners manual reccomeds for "normal" service? 

1 year or 12,500 miles - euro standard 1 year, 9000 MLS or 15,000 km, but it may be different for Sweden due to the climate

looking at the service sheets for the same engine and others, it recommends plug change at 54k miles (90,000 km)

7 minutes ago, flash22 said:

1 year or 12,500 miles - euro standard 1 year, 9000 MLS or 15,000 km, but it may be different for Sweden due to the climate

looking at the service sheets for the same engine and others, it recommends plug change at 54k miles (90,000 km)

Interesting. Shorter than I would have guessed. Wonder if anyone can confirm with the maintenance/warranty booklet that I assume come with the car?

Also I'm confused, what is 12,500 miles? Is that the first service interval? When is oil due for you guys under normal service? Here its 15k km. 

1 year or 10,000 or 12,500 miles, what ever comes first - that is UK service schedule for most Toyota's in the UK

UK service intervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

See copy of current service check sheet posted in a recent topic:

image.thumb.png.3b9211900a7cb95e5ae331f386b09020.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

It will be the Toyota 2ZR-FXE engine 100-120k miles is about right, but real world 80-90k miles, technology has come a long way in the case of iridium and platinum plugs

FC16HR-CY9 is long life Iridium plugs. IXEH20TT is not longlife and mainly for LPG modified engine.  The lifespan for FC16HR-CY9 is 120k miles, meanwhile IXEH20TT is less than 1/2 of it.

Both are dual tips,  Iridium tip and platinum ground tip. I always recommend OEM specs for reliability reason. Only SC16HR11 on gen3 or Auris is single tip.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

If you are in Sweden with extreme weather, I recommend 5k miles/6 months if you want your engine consume no oil after 100k+ miles.  Otherwise, you will waste more engine oil and kill catalytic converter faster.

16 minutes ago, AisinW said:

If you are in Sweden with extreme weather, I recommend 5k miles/6 months if you want your engine consume no oil after 100k+ miles.  Otherwise, you will waste more engine oil and kill catalytic converter faster.

That's what I was thinking as it can get -30 here. A blanket 10k mile interval by Suzuki is odd. In the summers though I'll buy a quality full synthetic extended drain oil and go 10k miles and keep it topped off. I put on decent mileage on mostly open country roads at low load and med speeds so easy on the oil but in winter I agree on shorter intervals, especially if the oil isn't getting up to temp.  

Speaking of that, my owners manual explicitly states that I can use 5w-30 (and by default 0w-30) assuming it meets certain specs. I haven't seen that in any other 1.8L Prius or Corolla hybrid manuals and my manual is from Toyota just with the word Suzuki substituted in. The word Toyota still appears all over it too.  Same exact page formats, fonts etc etc. So many people argue over allowable viscosity and here's Toyota saying a 0w-30 is fine in the 2ZR-FXE and this is not even a warm climate. 

33 minutes ago, AisinW said:

FC16HR-CY9 is long life iridium plugs. IXEH20TT is not longlife and mainly for LPG modified engine.  The lifespan for FC16HR-CY9 is 120k miles, meanwhile IXEH20TT is less than 1/2 of it.

Both are dual tips,  Iridium tip and platinum ground tip. I always recommend OEM specs for reliability reason. Only SC16HR11 on gen3 or Auris is single tip.

That's what I was leaning towards but now I'm getting conflicting info. The service sheet referenced above suggests 60k miles but I wonder if that sheet is from a dealer as opposed to Toyota UK. Dealer service sheets are often very conservative. Do you happen to have the hybrid 1.8L? If so, could you see what is stated in your maintenance manual? 

The service check list is from Toyota UK.

• Thanks 1

There seems lots of conflicting info on oil with these engines and service life,  what I can tell you is on my gen 3 prius ( basically same motor as corolla) I have been using 5w/30 since the car had 140,000 miles on it (0w/20 before that), I change my oil ever 10,000 miles and do a engine flush ever 3rd oil change. Car now has done 352,000 miles and doesn't burn any oil ( I have replaced head gasket at 350,000 miles but that's not oil related). Spark plugs easily last 120,000 miles (although I have a friend with over 290,000  on a original set.) 

3 hours ago, Andrew Swace said:

Hi everyone, I'm new here.  I have a 2022 Suzuki Swace (Corolla Sport Touring 1.8 Hybrid) in Sweden. 

Suzuki Sweden, in all their genius, does not include a scheduled maintenance booklet, they simply say to bring it in every 15k km where they then proceed to rip you off with **** you don't need. Doing a bunch of short, cold, trips? Just bring it in at 15k intervals. Stupid. 

This makes doing your own maintenance tricky as maintenance manuals for our cars are impossible to find online. I can find US maintenance manuals and use those intervals, but the one I'm stuck on is spark plugs. In California for example, because of emissions laws, spark plugs have to last 120,000 miles (193,000 km) and this is the replacement interval specified in the California manuals (maybe the whole US too). 

I assume the UK/EU has no such stupid law and the interval is different. 

The spark plugs for my/our car are Denso FC16HR-CY9 according to my owners manual. 

Can anyone confirm what the OEM (UK) maintenance manual specifies as a replacement interval(s) for spark plugs on the 1.8L Hybrid? 

Cheers. 

3 hours ago, Andrew Swace said:

Good info, thanks. Do you happen to know what interval the UK owners manual reccomeds for "normal" service? 

2 hours ago, Andrew Swace said:

Interesting. Shorter than I would have guessed. Wonder if anyone can confirm with the maintenance/warranty booklet that I assume come with the car?

Also I'm confused, what is 12,500 miles? Is that the first service interval? When is oil due for you guys under normal service? Here its 15k km. 

53 minutes ago, Andrew Swace said:

That's what I was thinking as it can get -30 here. A blanket 10k mile interval by Suzuki is odd. In the summers though I'll buy a quality full synthetic extended drain oil and go 10k miles and keep it topped off. I put on decent mileage on mostly open country roads at low load and med speeds so easy on the oil but in winter I agree on shorter intervals, especially if the oil isn't getting up to temp.  

Speaking of that, my owners manual explicitly states that I can use 5w-30 (and by default 0w-30) assuming it meets certain specs. I haven't seen that in any other 1.8L Prius or Corolla hybrid manuals and my manual is from Toyota just with the word Suzuki substituted in. The word Toyota still appears all over it too.  Same exact page formats, fonts etc etc. So many people argue over allowable viscosity and here's Toyota saying a 0w-30 is fine in the 2ZR-FXE and this is not even a warm climate. 

48 minutes ago, Andrew Swace said:

That's what I was leaning towards but now I'm getting conflicting info. The service sheet referenced above suggests 60k miles but I wonder if that sheet is from a dealer as opposed to Toyota UK. Dealer service sheets are often very conservative. Do you happen to have the hybrid 1.8L? If so, could you see what is stated in your maintenance manual? 

UK service schedule for Corolla is 10000 miles/ 12 months, uneven numbers e.g. 10, 30, 50... are Intermediate services 20, 40, 60...  are Full services.

• Engine oil, Oil Filter, Cabin Pollen filter & on 2023 on models Hybrid Battery filter every service.
  • Brake fluid Every full service,
  • Engine Air filter every 40000 miles / 4 years
  • Spark Plugs every 60000 miles / 6 years
  • Engine coolant 100000 miles /10 years ( then 50000/5yr there after )
  • Hybrid coolant 150000 miles / 15 years  ( then 50000/5yr there after )

EU Corolla oil fill is 0W16, the service sheet linked is a Genuine sheet taken from Toyota's "Techdoc" technical site for models following 10000 miles / 12 months schedules.

• Thanks 2

The service interval for UK is very similar to USA 1.8,2.0, 2.5, and 3.5L hybrid except for brake fluid and spark plugs. 

Corolla UK, EU recommend 0w-16 API SP ILSAC 6B for the best fuel and engine performance. Nut 0w-20, 0w-30, or 5w-30 are also fine but not optimal. Especielly 2.0L with variable oil pump. It is calibrated flr 0w-16 and may have long term issues with 0w-30 or thicker oil. 

Many 1.8L are fine with 10k miles/1 year oil change interval except for pre fall 2014 production 2ZR-FXE (older design piston and pistonrings). 

If we do severe driving: towing, exteeem cold temp, short trips<6 miles, dusty area, traffic jam zone; we should do 5k miles/6 months interval for oil change. 

Toyota only listed inspection of transmission fluid WS, but typically we replace Toyota WS every 60-100k miles. Petroleum product and  additives does not last forever. Filled for life means until warranty expired. Just like BMW claimed but ZF said 60k miles. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AisinW said:

The service interval for UK is very similar to USA 1.8,2.0, 2.5, and 3.5L hybrid except for brake fluid and spark plugs. 

Corolla UK, EU recommend 0w-16 API SP ILSAC 6B for the best fuel and engine performance. Nut 0w-20, 0w-30, or 5w-30 are also fine but not optimal. Especielly 2.0L with variable oil pump. It is calibrated flr 0w-16 and may have long term issues with 0w-30 or thicker oil. 

Many 1.8L are fine with 10k miles/1 year oil change interval except for pre fall 2014 production 2ZR-FXE (older design piston and pistonrings). 

If we do severe driving: towing, exteeem cold temp, short trips<6 miles, dusty area, traffic jam zone; we should do 5k miles/6 months interval for oil change. 

Toyota only listed inspection of transmission fluid WS, but typically we replace Toyota WS every 60-100k miles. Petroleum product and  additives does not last forever. Filled for life means until warranty expired. Just like BMW claimed but ZF said 60k miles. 

Interesting that in the EU brake fluid is changed about every 2 years. In the US, in California at least, there is no interval and no one I have known has ever changed it at any mileage in a modern car. I suppose areas that salt the roads and have more extreme weather the brake fluid takes a hit, but even then I wonder how often anyone has any objective data suggesting it should be changed. I'll plan on changing it every second winter. 

Trans fluid I plan every 100k miles as Toyotas fluid is specked to handle their full size trucks and other high torque applications and not crap out early. Our eCVTs are easy on what is that same fluid and seem bulletproof already. At least that my logic, plus I don't beat on my car. 

Strange that spark plugs last so much longer in the US. Wonder if they are a different spec/type or if it's something in the fuel. Or the OEMs are forced into a compromise due to regulations and the plugs are "good enough" to go that long. 

Anyway great info, thank you! Interesting to learn about the brake fluid intervals, never seen that before on the other side of the pond. 

The majority of new cars I've had (21) from Honda, Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan and Toyota, have required bi-annual brake fluid changes.

• Thanks 1

It is about tradition. Americans and Canadians are familiar with Toyota and Honda robust built. Most people in USA never flush brake fluid until they need caliper or master cylinder replacement. Every 3-5 years is considered to be an enthusiasts habit.

The Denso Iridium is identical in europe and USA, brake parts too except the hub and disc size in corolla. 

For gen3 and 4 hybrid some conventions not written on the manual:

1. Waterpump replacements 150k miles

2. EGR and intake manifold cleaning 100k miles.

3. Transmission fluid 60-100k miles

What I really continue doing is engine oil 5-8k miles interval after 60k miles. It really helps avoiding oil consumption. 

8 minutes ago, AisinW said:

It is about tradition. Americans and Canadians are familiar with Toyota and Honda robust built. Most people in USA never flush brake fluid until they need caliper or master cylinder replacement. Every 3-5 years is considered to be an enthusiasts habit.

...... but the vast majority of our members are in Europe, so what happens in the Americas isn't so relevant.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AisinW said:

The Denso iridium is identical in europe and USA, brake parts too except the hub and disc size in corolla. 

For gen3 and 4 hybrid some conventions not written on the manual:

1. Waterpump replacements 150k miles

2. EGR and intake manifold cleaning 100k miles.

3. Transmission fluid 60-100k miles

What I really continue doing is engine oil 5-8k miles interval after 60k miles. It really helps avoiding oil consumption. 

I'll take note of these and incorporate into my spreadsheet especially the EGR/intake and water pump. One thing I thought of, I'll plan on replacing the PCV valve around 80-100k miles just as a precaution, probably during EGR/intake cleaning.  

Can I ask, is there anything particular with the 2022  1.8L to watch for? I've read about older years oil issues, EGR and intake, and some injector quirks but the newer 1.8L seem solid. 

7 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

...... but the vast majority of our members are in Europe, so what happens in the Americas isn't so relevant.

How often do you flush brakes if you don't mind me asking? Or change spark plugs for thet matter. You seem very knowledgeable. 

FC16HR-CY9

Super Ignition Plugs feature a 0.55mm Iridium centre
electrode and 0.7mm Platinum tip electrode, enhancing the
ignitability of the Spark Plug to increase engine power

service sheet say 90k km, Denso state "up to" 120k but that's not real world

IXEH20TT

Introducing the Iridium TT Spark Plug - featuring, at 0.4 mm, the
world’s smallest diameter centre electrode and a 0.7 mm ground
electrode. This aftermarket range makes advanced OE-quality
technology available to a wider range of vehicles at an affordable
cost. It offers 3 times the lifetime of a nickel plug and delivers
better fuel economy and all-round optimum vehicle performance.

Both are rated for LPG

• Thanks 1

This is 5 years old brake fluid,  drained from the caliper.  It's not even 2% water content and colour is still amber, like new.  European schedule fits european mindset, and its  pretty unique. But DIY is only £14 OEM DOT 3 or 5.1 every 2 years doesn't hurt. You also can check the brake fluid on your own before flushing.   Spark plugs 120k miles is not new,  we had it since 2004 and never have any issue with ignition systems.  But open it at least at 10y to avoid seizing. Water pump often failed suddenly in 1.8L but varies, 150-300k miles.  When it failed,  red sail ship shows up and its too late.  

The SC20HR11 at 60k miles,  i put then back and see them again at 120k miles. £40 is better spent on oil change.  https://www.denso.com/global/en/products-and-services/automotive-service-parts-and-accessories/plug/basic/life/

20220105_004619.thumb.jpg.cb7fd3ff8214bc611b3ab56700c3027a.jpg

20230109_153554.thumb.jpg.fc951de934f7ed413441b2d8c8cba1a2.jpgbrakefluid5yold.thumb.jpg.caee97fd163986a8a5d4c26f246803a0.jpg

• Thanks 1

This is excellent!! Thank you, good info. Question about oil,  I'm likely going to run Ow-20. I currently have 0w-30 in (long story), which is much much quieter compared to factory and didn't seem to alter MPG any noticeable amount, but it's too far away from the as designed 0w-16 for my comfort/knowledge long term. 

Ay thoughts on running a quality Ow-20 that meets the specs? 

Also, do you happen to know, do the 1.8L habe a mechanical/traditional oil pump? 

The 1.8L is more tolerance with thicker oil. Only the 2.0, 2.5, and 3.5L V6 is sensitive to the thicker oil because of variable oil pump that adjust the oil pressure dynamically. They are calibrated for 0W-16.

Thicker oil may reduce the noise but not the wear because most wear are at cold start up. Don't worry about thinner oil if the engine is designed for it. Thinner oil usually have unique additive for reducing wear like high amount of Molybdenum and Borons. But don't buy or add any additives, oil company knows the most optimum way, don't screw the formulation. But if we already have 0w-30 or 5w-30, just use them. They are fine for occasional use. lub_pump_pressure.thumb.png.9b8304004c50f311fca24998a63bddca.png

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links