Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I keep taking my IQ to Toyota for MOT and service?

Stan Lococomo

My knowledge of cars is pretty minimal having only ever owned the same IQ since 2010. I've always taken it to the local Toyota dealership for MOT and service but am concerned they might be a bit pricey. Is it worth taking it somewhere else (like KwikFit?) or will the dealership be better given the IQ isn't the most common make around. Anyone have any experiences or recommendations to share?

I wouldn't take it to Kwik Fit, but it's a fairly standard car to service so if you have a reputable garage you get on with and know you can trust, they'd be able to service it fine.

The good thing about taking it to Toyota is the bonus warranty you get, and they're generally good about using the right oil and Toyota OE parts, so if you want to take it elsewhere make sure it's not the sort of place that cuts corners.

The biggest weakness of Toyotas is servicing - If they're serviced to spec, they last forever, but if they use garbage parts and oil especially, then they tend to die a lot faster. The timing chains, for instance, can easily last in excess of 100k miles without replacement with regular good oil changes, but if the wrong or bad oil is used the chain's life gets shortened drastically.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The good thing about taking it to Toyota is the bonus warranty you get,

Only up to the car's 10th birthday, and the OP's car is around 13 years old (their profile shows it is a 2009, whereas this topic says 2010) ......

• Like 1

Oops, good spot!

• Like 1

Stay with Toyota OR find a good local independent that will get to know you and your car and be cheaper and sometimes find solutions to problems that won't involve replacing the entire inside of your car.

Independents can be great. I like main dealers for newer cars and independents for older. Not a fan of the 'chains'.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the tips. Sorry if the dates were a bit confusing - it's a 2009 model but I acquired it in 2010.

• Like 1

Depends; are you happy with the local Toyota garage and think they give you a good service, then use them. Then you know you always get original parts.

There's no benefit really to having Toyota do the MOT, and the relax warranty doesn't apply to your car anymore. If you know of a good independent garage that you trust, then there's no reason not to use them - beyond OEM parts. And you can ask them to use OEM if you want. 

For just a yearly oil change it will be fine to take it to an independent or even the chain. Mot go to MOT only place which doesn't do repairs, pay £50 yearly for my car. Don't get suck into half price mot, though many ppl has no issue with those offers.