Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 boot payload

pepperoni

We're looking to make use of our large boot and collect some bags of garden bark. I have read that the boot floor supports have a predisposition to collapsing when excessive weight is loaded and to offset this, suggestions of 'packing' the space directly under the boot floor have been suggested (Google)

Can anyone shed any light on this...the conclusion we have arrived at is that the Rav4 boot is not practical for carrying heavy compacted loads i.e cement, soil, bark etc. Thanks 

• Like 1

You have a two position boot floor - if you are at all concerned, rather than pack the space under the boot floor, simply move it to the lower position so that there is no space beneath.

That said, I have the boot protector in place which wouldn't fit with the boot floor lower but have no concerns at all about the cars ability to carry 'normal' loads. While you might have a problem if you placed a large concrete cube in the centre of the boot, normal bagged stuff from the garden centre or DIY store can easily be distributed across the available floor space. And, in the grand scheme of things, horticultural bark isn't that heavy really.

That said, it's an estate car rather than a pick-up and you shouldn't attempt to drive with an excessive load onboard.

1 minute ago, philip42h said:

You have a two position boot floor - if you are at all concerned, rather than pack the space under the boot floor, simply move it to the lower position so that there is no space beneath.

That said, I have the boot protector in place which wouldn't fit with the boot floor lower but have no concerns at all about the cars ability to carry 'normal' loads. While you might have a problem if you placed a large concrete cube in the centre of the boot, normal bagged stuff from the garden centre or DIY store can easily be distributed across the available floor space. And, in the grand scheme of things, horticultural bark isn't that heavy really.

That said, it's an estate car rather than a pick-up and you shouldn't attempt to drive with an excessive load onboard.

Thanks, Philip, new to the Rav4 so I'd not realised this option. The bags are fairly heavy, 60lb plus,(we've had some delivered but delivery no longer available, also it's quite damp so adding extra weight)  but I'm sure that 6 spread evenly would be okay...bit like 2 adults in the boot I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...

So the PHEV only has one height position which is supported by the mouldings underneath it would seem. I don't know if this is equivalent to the lower boot position on the non PHEV RAV.

However, I've had about 8 off 100litre bags of bark chippings plus 4 bags of blue slate chippings at 20kg a bag. Not noticed any problems with the boot floor. Rear seats down obviously.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links