Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cruise control

Steven83

So picked up the car today and one of the first things I wanted to change was the fact the + and - are increments of 5 but from what I can tell you can’t?

This was an irritation of mine when I had the courtesy car but I never bothered to try and change it as I knew I would soon be handing the car back.

I find it really odd. I mean I only ever adjust by 1 or 2 mph up or down on motorways. If it’s more than that in my auris I would just hold up or down.

Just seems a daft idea… unless I’m missing some settings where it can be changed. 

• Like 1

Traditional cruise ( press and hold cruise button until symbol changes ) can do 1 mph increments, Radar cruise can only do 5mph increments, this was fixed with the newer 23 model year Corolla with its more advanced sensors

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

Traditional cruise ( press and hold cruise button until symbol changes ) can do 1 mph increments, Radar cruise can only do 5mph increments, this was fixed with the newer 23 model year Corolla with its more advanced sensors

Weird tho isn’t it. Shame it isn’t a software fix I can download. 

My 70 plate Yaris only goes up or down one mile per press and if you going up a hill you only want to knock it down by 2 or 3 miles or at least I do.

• Like 1

Yaris Cross, MY21, hold and it jumps in steps of 5. Press and it goes in ones.  Perfect. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Yaris Cross, MY21, hold and it jumps in steps of 5. Press and it goes in ones.  Perfect. 

Yeah this is how they should make it on all of them - Intuitive, makes sense and works well!

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 10:09 PM, Steven83 said:

So picked up the car today and one of the first things I wanted to change was the fact the + and - are increments of 5 but from what I can tell you can’t?

This was an irritation of mine when I had the courtesy car but I never bothered to try and change it as I knew I would soon be handing the car back.

I find it really odd. I mean I only ever adjust by 1 or 2 mph up or down on motorways. If it’s more than that in my auris I would just hold up or down.

Just seems a daft idea… unless I’m missing some settings where it can be changed. 

All UK speed limits are a multiple of 5 (ten also of course). What's the problem?

Set your cruise control to the speed limit and let the radar adjust it down if there's a slow vehicle ahead (fat chance) .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

All UK speed limits are a multiple of 5 (ten also of course). What's the problem?

Set your cruise control to the speed limit and let the radar adjust it down if there's a slow vehicle ahead (fat chance) .

I try to set my speed to 72 mph on motorways as most manufacturers have the speedo a few mph lower than the real speed.

If I need to over take a car that is fluctuating in speed I will add a couple of mph to do so and then return to 72.

with increments of 5 you can’t do this. 

I can’t think of a time that anyone would need to go up in 5’s so it’s a daft design. 

• Like 3

That's what I like about how it's set on mine - Hold to jump up in 5's to change target speed quickly, then click up or down a couple to refine it - I tend to set it to either 59mph if I'm on an eco run (I find the car switches between EV and ICE much more below 60mph) or 63mph if I'm not (Stops trucks from catching up!).

If I was forced to have one or the other, single increments would win hands down tho', as you can always use the accelerator and brake to change speeds quickly, but refining the target speed with them is much trickier!

• Like 5

Mentioning trucks catching up .... I've never had so many overtake me on 50mph zones on the motorway, and that's when I'm doing gps 50mph, which shows as 54mph on the speedo. I realise trucks have accurate speedo's (which would explain them over taking if I was doing 50 on the speedo) but they must be relying on ACPO as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steven83 said:

I try to set my speed to 72 mph on motorways as most manufacturers have the speedo a few mph lower than the real speed.

Why? Over the course of five hours driving you cover ten more miles. It might save you 9 minutes of travel time but that's easily swallowed by congestion and/or traffic lights at either end.

The difference between 72 and 70 mph is so small as to probably be within the normal variation of any journey. And it's easy enough to do anyway - get your car to 72mph and then set the CC.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Why? Over the course of five hours driving you cover ten more miles. It might save you 9 minutes of travel time but that's easily swallowed by congestion and/or traffic lights at either end.

The difference between 72 and 70 mph is so small as to probably be within the normal variation of any journey. And it's easy enough to do anyway - get your car to 72mph and then set the CC.

Sorry andrueC but it seems from the responses on here that others either agree with my or share my frustration.

no offence but that’s my style of driving and it’s legal so I don’t need to explain it to you. The topic is about the speed increments not my driving style.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fred88 said:

Mentioning trucks catching up .... I've never had so many overtake me on 50mph zones on the motorway, and that's when I'm doing gps 50mph, which shows as 54mph on the speedo. I realise trucks have accurate speedo's (which would explain them over taking if I was doing 50 on the speedo) but they must be relying on ACPO as well.

This is one of the things that makes 'Smart' motorways so dangerous - I've written to Highways to tell them to NOT set speed limits below 60 unless there is an actual jam or accident ahead, but they still insist on using 50 and 40mph limits for 'traffic calming', which just creates a massive accident potential as almost all the truck drivers ignore the limits and keep travelling at their maximum limited speed (i.e. 56-60mph) because they can see ahead that the road is free and they know where the working speed cameras are (Or don't care?).

That triggers a situation where they are undertaking everyone in lane 1 with a 20mph differential, until someone who is obeying the 40 limit manages to get into lane 1, then the trucks all try to pull into lanes 2 or 3.

And that's not counting the panic brakers who slam on the brakes if the gantry suddenly changes to 40mph. (Very fun when a truck is pulling out into the back of them to get past people doing 50!)

At the very least Highways should use soft limits first (i.e. limits without the red circle) as an advisory to prepare drivers for harder limits later if there is an actual jam (Half the time there isn't), but they really don't seem to give a smeg and just feed me boiler plate replies.

It's pretty clear the people that decide policy for these things do not use the roads that they affect...

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cyker said:

This is one of the things that makes 'Smart' motorways so dangerous - I've written to Highways to tell them to NOT set speed limits below 60 unless there is an actual jam or accident ahead, but they still insist on using 50 and 40mph limits for 'traffic calming', which just creates a massive accident potential as almost all the truck drivers ignore the limits and keep travelling at their maximum limited speed (i.e. 56-60mph) because they can see ahead that the road is free and they know where the working speed cameras are (Or don't care?).

That triggers a situation where they are undertaking everyone in lane 1 with a 20mph differential, until someone who is obeying the 40 limit manages to get into lane 1, then the trucks all try to pull into lanes 2 or 3.

And that's not counting the panic brakers who slam on the brakes if the gantry suddenly changes to 40mph. (Very fun when a truck is pulling out into the back of them to get past people doing 50!)

At the very least Highways should use soft limits first (i.e. limits without the red circle) as an advisory to prepare drivers for harder limits later if there is an actual jam (Half the time there isn't), but they really don't seem to give a smeg and just feed me boiler plate replies.

It's pretty clear the people that decide policy for these things do not use the roads that they affect...

And then once the motorway returns to 70mph all those trucks are still trapped in lanes 2 and 3 and causing chaos 

• Like 2

Has you noticed your sat nav road changes to yellow if it thinks a obstacale or obstruction is on the road and goes to red if the section of road is closed.

The 50mph zones I referred to are monitored by average speed cameras. Even then they are doing well over 50 mph real speed. The reason for the zones is air quality.

I've seen some terrible driving in those zones by truckers tailgating and bullying cars.