Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can you turn on an engine sound?

Stella P

The hybrid is very quiet when starting & a neighbour has asked if I can turn on an engine sound?

Acoustic Vehicle Alert System - where a hybrid or electric vehicle makes a sound when travelling at low speed to alert the visually impaired a vehicle is approaching - probably was not fitted to your C-HR.

It is on later models.

So, the answer is no.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stella P said:

The hybrid is very quiet when starting & a neighbour has asked if I can turn on an engine sound?

Just beep the horn for 30 seconds every time 🤣

• Haha 7

It become compulsory for hybrid or electric vehicles registered from 1 July 2021 onwards to be fitted with it, and most registered before that date don't have it. Neither our 2018 or 2020 hybrids do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How would I know if my 2023 model has it. It sounds exactly like my 2020.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Big_D said:

How would I know if my 2023 model has it. It sounds exactly like my 2020.

Accoustic Vehicle Alert system became compulsory for new Type Approvals from 1st Jul 2019, and for all new vehicles from 1st July 2021.

Not designed to be heard within the vehicle so you may not notice it from inside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes it will, it is omnidirectional designed not to be heard inside the car

there are aftermarket AVAS systems, run over the neighbour - problem solved

Google - SoundRacer Electric Vehicle Sound Module EVSMA

• Haha 6

It's a shame I can't get my neighbour and his Ferrari V12-swapped Jaguar to stay with you a few days - I think your neighbour (And possibly the whole street) will quickly no longer wish for any car to make a noise when it's started :laugh: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I've had to move my car and wound the windows down to see if I could hear any noise. I drove forward and reversed. Nothing at all apart form the sound of the electric motors. Is this what I;m supposed to be hearing, or is it something that I am unable to hear while inside the car, even with all the windows wound down?

Am I missing something here 😕

With my Yaris it's surprisingly directional - I can only hear it clearly when I'm coming home at 2am and put my windows down while near enough houses that the sound reflects off the buildings around me.

I'm told it's quite loud from the front!

Not that any pedestrians seem to notice so far :laugh:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Cyker said:

It's a shame I can't get my neighbour and his Ferrari V12-swapped Jaguar to stay with you a few days - I think your neighbour (And possibly the whole street) will quickly no longer wish for any car to make a noise when it's started :laugh: 

Could you get a recording of it for me? I can drive around in my Corolla with it playing through a speaker on the roof 😉

A friend of mine years ago used to have an early Range Rover which had been converted to run a 6 litre combine harvester engine. He never had any problems with pedestrians stepping out in front of it.

• Haha 3

Hear mine very clearly inside the car. Neighbours say spaceship coming 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Roger F said:

Hear mine very clearly inside the car. Neighbours say spaceship coming 🤣

Well, let's be honest, Toyotas are out of this world 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Never heard mine. Asked my wife today, asi was picking her up, no obvious noise, apart from it sounding like an 80s milk float when in electric mode😊

Does it need to be turned on. I've got a 22 plate. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Penfold72 said:

Never heard mine. Asked my wife today, asi was picking her up, no obvious noise, apart from it sounding like an 80s milk float when in electric mode😊

Does it need to be turned on. I've got a 22 plate. 

As above, the Acoustic Vehicle Alert System (AVAS) became compulsory for all new vehicles from 1st July 2021 - so you really should have AVAS on a MY22. It can't be switched off!

The wife's C-HR was registered in July '21 and I can hear her coming from about 100 yds away ... 😉

(The approach is a narrow single track country lane so the car will be going slowly enough for the system to sound and the environment quiet enough for it to be heard.)

I had confirmed something for myself yesterday. I had a good walk around and many cars where driving past and the one with the best and most accurate Avas was the bmw i .
The sound it’s like from Toyota hybrid electric motor but simply amplified to be louder. It was rising with speed and sounds so natural and matched the car appearance and what actually is, a modern electric car. 
Then a horrible, strange and annoying noise came around the corner , well it was a chr. Why it is so difficult every manufacturer to make Avas sounds like bmw i3?! , I mean natural and recognising. 

• Like 1

I have a new 23 plate C-HR and below 20 M.P.H; the noise of the electric motor is very loud and more than enough for others to hear! Above 20 M.P.H; it's pretty silent and just whispers along😊. I have to say that this car is a huge leap forward on the last one and I'm really impressed with the low fuel consumption, handling (I live in the north East of Scotland with lots of twisty roads) and ride. About the only annoying thing is that I can't find anything to moan about with the car!!

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, iand12 said:

I have a new 23 plate C-HR and below 20 M.P.H; the noise of the electric motor is very loud

That's NOT the electric motor - that's the sound generated by the AVAS system (which cuts out above about 20 mph). 😉

• Like 2

That explains a lot. I too, thought it was the electric motor. 

• Like 1