Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avas

tfc

Where is the Avas sounder located on a late 2019 corolla, I never heard it going off but what I've read it should be fitted from July 2019 mines November. 

There isn't one. It is only required to be fitted on vehicles registered from 1 July 2021 onwards.

The July 2019 date only applied to new type approvals from that date onwards, existing models had a further 2 years to comply. The Corolla was launched in early 2019 so didn't need to comply until July 2021.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Oct 2020 built (MY21) Corolla has the sound. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

My September 2020 doesn't, so October must presumably have been the point they began fitting it. Would make sense with the changeover to the 2021 model year perhaps.

1 hour ago, Gray86 said:

Do you know where it is ? Might see if it's feasible to fit one.

• Like 1

The sounder: Lift up the bonnet, there is a panel at the front of the car with about 8 of those pop-up rivet things holding it down. Undo those and take the panel off, then behind the radiator to the right you'll see the horn , and the AVAS sounder is to the left of the horn.

The module: No idea where that is, sorry.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

My September 2020 doesn't, so October must presumably have been the point they began fitting it. Would make sense with the changeover to the 2021 model year perhaps.

Think mine was one of the first MY21s built - the dealer hadn’t seen one before, so this figures 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, camellia30 said:

The sounder: Lift up the bonnet, there is a panel at the front of the car with about 8 of those pop-up rivet things holding it down. Undo those and take the panel off, then behind the radiator to the right you'll see the horn , and the AVAS sounder is to the left of the horn.

The module: No idea where that is, sorry.

On mine it's to the right of the horn. It was on my 2021 TS too.

Does anyone knows if it's possible (and easy) to fit a AVAS on a pre-2021 MY?

The car is really silent and sometimes I found it a little bit dangerous for pedestrians as they don't hear it and don't pay attention to its movement.

I remember not seeing anything under panel when I fitted twin horns, I might get a white noise sounder and wire it through the reverse light, buying a aftermarket AVAS that goes through the canbus is expensive, I only need one when reversing. 9 times out 10 it's always in ev mode when reversing.

• Like 1

This avas sounds odd and adds very little to the safety if anything at all.
It’s more of annoying thing to the drivers than any benefit. The car itself it’s quiet as they are all hybrids without it but it’s not just an engine sound, tyre noise, wind noise all adds up enough and if anyone around pay attention will be able to see, hear, even those with difficulties. One problem with Avas sound is that although it’s a mono sound I believe it is also very artificial and can fool you which side it comes from. 
For those who does not pay attention., like some pedestrians and those with headphones, best to use your horn from a distance and slow down, be ready to stop. 
I drive through the busiest streets of the capital where people jump front of you on daily basis, the only ever needed a sound from the engine is when I am the first car at the traffic lights and the light changes to green people are still crossing front of me and because there is no engine rev up sound to show them my intentions they keep going. The trick is slow crawling forward and a few beeps with the horn does the job for me better than any avas. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gray86 said:

Tony I'm not bothered about going forward,  I've got a nice loud pair of hella's to wake them up, it's just handy to have a audible sound for the rear when reversing out of a parking spot .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, RabButler said:

On mine it's to the right of the horn. It was on my 2021 TS too.

Probably is on mine too, I was struggling to recall the layout as its been a couple of years.

13 hours ago, Corolla Mike. said:

Can it be disabled? 

Easily, but probably not legally.

If I get an electric or hybrid, I want my AVAS to make the Jetson's car noise.

One of the first things I saw when looking up AVAS suggests to me that you can easily get an aftermarket unit.

https://brigade-electronics.com/products/reversing-and-warning-alarms/quiet-vehicle-sounder/

• Like 1

If I find a 2JZ sounding one, I'll buy it immediately 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links