Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattly type sound when in gear low rpm accelerating

dennis10

Hi all,

I've a 2005 Corolla T-sport that has undergone alot of work over the last few months, a few of you may remember me posting about engine woes back in December/January.

I ended up having to have an engine replacement and also did a general car makeover - in the process I've had the clutch replaced and also the radiator, 3 of the engine mounts, water pump, timing chain cover gaskets as well as most of the other gaskets and a new chain tensioner.

Today I replaced the aux belt tensioner as it was making noises (I should've done when the engine was out) silly of me really, but the job went well.

I've been chasing a rattle type sound that I guess sounds sort of like tappets in an older car but not as harsh, sort of a loose rattley sound, but it only does it when in gear and lazily accelerating at low rpm. It's not there when out of gear and revving, nor at higher rpm. I thought it might have been the aux tensioner but alas not.

Has anyone any ideas? It didn't do it with the old engine and clutch, the engine is a replacement but the gearbox is the same as before.

Everything running really well, no oil leaks or usage, no water leaks, clutch engages nicely

Appreciate some ideas, thanks

Hmm, no idea.... VVTi phasers or lift bolts perhaps??

Sounds like something that wants more oil pressure when being loaded, but doesn't quite get it at low rpm...?

First, check for any vacuum leak, and how is the idle. Is it stable in idling, no rpm drop and up?

Mild rattling/pinging at mild acceleration are common on pre-2008 car when using E10 fuel. It runs slightly too lean and start rattling.  If it does not rattle at hard acceleration, it is safe and won't cause issues for 200k miles or more. I live with it since USA government mandated E10 on all fuel. My Prius 06, Sienna 04, Altima 02, and Camry 05 all rattling at mild throttle. Premium fuel does not help either because they are also E10 in USA, just higher octane. 

Try to use ESSO E5 or no ethanol fuel and see if the rattling get milder. 

Thanks for answers so far.

Lift bolts are brand new, but if I rev the engine in neutral I don't get this sound.

Input shaft bearing? How best to judge if it might be this?

Engine idles perfectly, really steady. Forgot to mention it also has brand new spark plugs, coil packs and refurbished genuine Denso injectors. I only use e5 super unleaded.

The only error code that keeps popping up periodically is the catalytic converter, I think p0420 - could this sound be caused by a knackered catalytic converter? Is it possible for the cat to make this sound when moving in gear but not when idling?

What engine is the car ? You can search Google and YouTube, definitely will be info about it. Some old Corolla as far as I remember had rattling intake manifold, not familiar and can’t comment further, best to look around this too. Another possibility for rattling noises from Toyota engines is timing chain tensioner. , again many videos on YouTube. I catch my one was faulty and replaced, no more issues since. 👍

On 6/3/2023 at 3:49 PM, dennis10 said:

Today I replaced the aux belt tensioner as it was making noises (I should've done when the engine was out) silly of me really, but the job went well.

I've been chasing a rattle type sound that I guess sounds sort of like tappets in an older car but not as harsh, sort of a loose rattley sound, but it only does it when in gear and lazily accelerating at low rpm. It's not there when out of gear and revving, nor at higher rpm. I thought it might have been the aux tensioner but alas not.

This could be just about anything. Exhaust, heat shields, gear linkage.  This kind of problem is not uncommon when you've had the engine out. 

Maybe you can simulate or trigger the rattle with the front of the car jacked up on jack stands and then put the wheels in gear and come on and off the accelerator in order to jolt the engine. With a helper, you may be able to better locate the source of the noise. Once you've managed to trigger the sound, use a piece of hose pipe as hearing aid to pinpoint the source. As always, be really careful around rotating parts.

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

What engine is the car ?

Corolla T-sport should be 2zz-ge

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links