Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Keys

Jimota

My son picked up his brand new Yaris last Wednesday from the local dealership in Glasgow.  At the handover, my son was given 2 sets of keys and a small metal plate with a 5 digit number which could be be “quoted” in the event of lost keys.  Never thought much about it until my neighbour had a chat with me regarding an incident involving his brother in law who resides in England.  His brother in law is now adamant that at the handover a few weeks ago he was only issued with one key for his Yaris Cross and no metal plate or other type of identifying feature was given.  He is now in dispute with his local dealership.

During the handover with my own Yaris Cross some 6 months ago, I received my 2 sets of keys but no metal plate with an identifying number.  In my Audi/VW/Skoda owning days I was always issued with a plastic band with a corresponding number but this was a code to reset the radio in the event of the Battery being disconnected.

Can anyone give some advice on the matter before I contact my own dealership?

• Like 1

There have been some Toyota models recently which have only been issued initially with one key due to the chip shortages - with the second key due to be provided at a later date.

Toyota isn't alone in this.

As regards the metal plate, we've always had either a metal plate or plastic tag, depending on manufacturer - but our current newest car was delivered before the parts problems occurred.

I always note the key number in the service and warranty book in case the plate/tag gets lost

Re your key number, why not contact the dealer (service not sales) to see whether the car's history has the key number, and if not, progress the issue from there. 

When I took delivery of my new C-HR in April, I was given two identical sets of keys, and the metal tag. The same for my wife when she took delivery of her Yaris in December last year.

It was slightly different for my son. He got two keys, one of them a remote with key and the other (looked like what I would consider to be) a Master Key). He also had the metal tag.

As @FROSTYBALLS says, some were delivered with only one key due to chip shortages. Either way, you should still have had the metal tag with the key number

• Like 1

The metal tags are a legacy item and no longer required, they have not been required for 10+ years, should you require a key you contact your local dealer they order a "cut" key via Toyota's parts ordering system, in the EU the order is passed to a Company called Conrad who cut the key and ship it to your dealer at no time does the dealer or parts supply see the key number only the Conrad employee see's the key number but not the cars details ensuring the process is anonymous and secure .

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

The metal tags are a legacy item and no longer required, they have not been required for 10+ years

Toyota were still providing the "tag" 9 years ago. Were they still doing that as a token gesture?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links