Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo x, difficult to start?

Pumatron

Anyone else have trouble with starting their Aygo X? 

Typically when cold, it just cranks and cranks, spins over fast but just struggles to fire.

It does eventually go, but concerned as the Battery ages it won’t have the ability to crank it for as long as needed.

My commute is short but I generally leave it running for 5 minutes each end of the journey and it gets at least a long thrash down the motorway 2/3 times a month.

Getting to the point where I’m doubting if it will actually go one morning 🤨

Do you have a push start or key, as it's not in your profile.

I have the push start automatic and it needs pressed just once quickly and it start first time quickly, if you keep your finger on it, it turns over, which is not good for it I'd expect !!

Not your problem, get the dealer to sort it - more than likely the Battery will get the blame for it (Battery isn't covered after the first year)

• Like 3

It’s a key, and it’s not the 12v Battery as it turns over fine, just doesn’t fire. Once it’s hot it’s much better. 
Pointless taking it to a dealer as it would need to be left overnight and guaranteed they would say no fault found. 
Don’t trust dealers, worked in 3 different ones for over 13 years (including Toyota), you see what goes on behind the scenes, and trust me it’s scary, so I only ever do “while you wait” now.

Cars with small engines post 2010 with electronic throttle body often suffer from fuel flooding and particularly after quick start and stop of the engine., like turn on for 1 minute then off . After that it may refuse to start completely and only will start after 4-5 hrs left alone or more. Next time when your car plays about you can try to smell  if any unburned fuel evaporates from engines bay and exhaust. Got my lady Neighbor a few times doing exactly that, and then she calls AA. Last time I went to the guy and talk to him, he said the engine was flooded with fuel. I talked to her afterwards and explained the circumstances, she listened to me and never had any issues ever since. Once you start a petrol engine do not cut it off until at least 5 min or more work and get through it’s warm up stages. , that includes hybrids too. 

Mine's a key start, had no problems. I just need to turn it over for two seconds and it starts immediately. Just be aware that taking it to a dealer rather than another garage is best for your warranty though.

• Like 1

Cycle the key a few times and let it build fuel pressure, it's possible it's not holding fuel pressure over time. pop the fuel cap off and make sure the seal is ok, put it back on making sure it is tight

E10 fuel can also cause this type of issue

• Like 2

Whenever my Aygo wouldn't start I found that the solution was to turn the key until the last position before the start position and wait a few seconds before turning to start.

• Like 2

Try turning the key until the dash lights come on. Wait a couple of seconds for those that go out to do so (gives the fuel pump a chance to build pressure and 'warms' up the ignition) and push the clutch pedal down (easier on the battery) then try to start.

• Like 3

That's good advice; I had to do that with the Fiesta if I wanted it to start faster, i.e. turn key to position 2, wait a couple seconds while the fuel pump built up pressure, then position 3 to crank the engine. Otherwise it had to crank a lot more before starting.

Came in handy when I got the diesel, as the muscle memory helped with giving the same delay for the glow plugs to do their thing :laugh: 

• Like 3

I have this symptom too on my button started aygo x.

Sometimes, cold conditions, it cranks faster and takes more seconds before it starts.

Could be short drives are done before this occurs.

Clutch pedal always pressed down to start.

Using 95 octane petrol, 10 percent alcohol.

I had a 107 and a MK2 Aygo, same issue but very random.... Strange!

• Like 1

True... had this on my aygo mk2 too.

Could be indeed from a bad petrol. Perhaps you can try e5 99 and see, you may find the engine runs smother and being more responsive. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links