Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fit and finish

cruiserOAP

No alignment problems with mine and although I questioned myself when coughing up £920 for paint, I must say it is very good.   I’ve been round every panel on mine including the doors and added Dodomat which has improved the sound deadening and also the weight of the doors.  They now shut with more of a thud and that occasional clang like a dustbin lid has gone.  I’ve had 2 Lexus and they are a different story.  The attention to detail is off the chart so regardless of what the haters say, I will have another in a couple of years.   Going back to the Cross, the useless AWD motor (not my words, I like it) actually supports the boot deck so you could put a very heavy load on without it bending.  I don’t care for the tonneau cover either.  It’s not so much the weight of it but a proper cover stops noise coming out of das boot.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Try actually speaking to them - in the time it has taken to e-mail you can probably have dealt with the issue in physical speech.

You're right, I will speak to them, but I use emails as well when dealing with any issues involving warranties. From previous experience, you need proof in writing. I have previously had dealers deny that I had reported a fault during the warranty period because I had no email trail to prove it. They even refused to accept a phone video of a touchscreen fault because the car registration wasn't visible in the video!

• Like 3

Since 1999 I have had 9 Lexus whist my Lady has had 6 Toyota.

My AWD Cross is no. 7 & I have posted pictures of mine on this Forum & my Panels are perfect.

My Boot Floor is solid & the Front Doors clunk without any modification. The Red body colour is stunning & the Build Quality is excellent. Toyota NVH is no match for Lexus but is on a par with most cars bellow 70 mph.

Tel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tel 2 said:

My AWD Cross is no. 7 & I have posted pictures of mine on this Forum & my Panels are perfect.

My Boot Floor is solid & the Front Doors clunk without any modification. The Red body colour is stunning & the Build Quality is excellent. Toyota NVH is no match for Lexus but is on a par with most cars bellow 70 mph.

Tel

Mine must be due to the local wine festival then. I have panel gaps varying by several mm around a rear door, and the hatch is misaligned to the left, resulting in it missing contact with the rubber seal on the right. All my VAG group cars had narrow and consistent panel gaps around all the doors, bonnet and hatch.

The AWD model presumably has the bilevel boot floor, obviously much sturdier than the item used in the Icon.

The Icon has no roof rails, so they have filled the grooves with rubber strips which are so loose fitting I expect them to be blown away in a strong gust of wind.

The drivetrain in a car built by VW would be ideal.

I had planned to keep the thing long term, as my last car, but I think this will be swapped for something which doesn't offend my precision engineering career sensibilities.

As I am now retired, and don't need a car for work, I might well go back to one of the properly engineered classics of my youth, like my much missed Volvo Amazon, which is probably still driving around today!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, cruiserOAP said:

Mine must be due to the local wine festival then. I have panel gaps varying by several mm around a rear door, and the hatch is misaligned to the left, resulting in it missing contact with the rubber seal on the right. All my VAG group cars had narrow and consistent panel gaps around all the doors, bonnet and hatch.

The AWD model presumably has the bilevel boot floor, obviously much sturdier than the item used in the Icon.

The Icon has no roof rails, so they have filled the grooves with rubber strips which are so loose fitting I expect them to be blown away in a strong gust of wind.

The drivetrain in a car built by VW would be ideal.

I had planned to keep the thing long term, as my last car, but I think this will be swapped for something which doesn't offend my precision engineering career sensibilities.

As I am now retired, and don't need a car for work, I might well go back to one of the properly engineered classics of my youth, like my much missed Volvo Amazon, which is probably still driving around today!

Well said 👌👍

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Was the mk1 D4D made in Japan or France?

My friend's french built Yaris that finished up crashed did feel a bit tinny to ride in.

But that is only subjective from my point of view.

The D4Ds were made in Japan, which made them a bit annoying for parts, as there were a lot of parts that were different to the French ones, e.g. the brakes, and even the wing mirror glass which I discovered when I tried to get a replacement from eBay only to find it was for the French one and nobody sold glass for the Jappy-built models, so I had to get it from the dealer...   (That made me a lot more careful around hedges :eek:)

19 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Try actually speaking to them - in the time it has taken to e-mail you can probably have dealt with the issue in physical speech.

This is a top tip - I don't know how common this is, but at least round here the dealers are useless with e-mail and you're lucky if you get a response. Phone is slightly better but usually ends with them saying they'll get back to you and then... not.

I found if I wanted something done this side of the rapture, the only way was to go in person and even then I'd bring a book, such was the average wait time.

The only dealer people I've ever e-mailed/messaged and gotten a reply from within a day have been PartsKing and a woman from a remote Jemca office called Sharon who has literally been the only top-marks customer service experience I've had with my long association with Jemca (She actually called me back! And replied to e-mails! And chased down the unresponsive dealer phones! And actually knew basic stuff instead of having to refer to other people!! I was in shock! :eek:  :laugh: )

• Like 2

I flatly refuse to buy any cars from Jemca. I'm still waiting for my quote, from a couple of years ago. I found them quite rude too, telling me I had better not be late for my appointment with the salesman as they were busy.

As a family, we have since bought four Toyotas. None from Jemca, Although they are my closest dealer, I also take all our cars to another dealer where I get much better service. In fact, Charlotte is visiting there at this moment. I pick her up again tomorrow and drop off their loan car.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Big_D said:

I flatly refuse to buy any cars from Jemca. I'm still waiting for my quote, from a couple of years ago. I found them quite rude too, telling me I had better not be late for my appointment with the salesman as they were busy.

As a family, we have since bought four Toyotas. None from Jemca, Although they are my closest dealer, I also take all our cars to another dealer where I get much better service. In fact, Charlotte is visiting there at this moment. I pick her up again tomorrow and drop off their loan car.

Who Jemca? Are they a UK dealer?

• Like 2

On 6/8/2023 at 10:21 AM, olonas said:

Too much cheese and wine before shift would be my guess as the reason?

I'm going to check to see if there was a wine festival during the week my car was built!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cruiserOAP said:

Who Jemca? Are they a UK dealer?

Indeed they are! One of maaany franchised dealers over here.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 7:15 AM, Tel 2 said:

Tel

That door would sound nicer if you painted the lock 😉

• Haha 1

Assume Toyota has noted our discussions & the next Cross will have the bigger engine, complete Smart door locking System with  lock cover etcetera.

Thusly Paint will stay in the cupboard for the next 18 months.

Tel

@cruiserOAP Jemca is the franchised Toyota Dealer in Reading Berkshire, although they have other branches too. Their parts team are great. They call back within the promised time, and go out of their way to help. However, the Sales team leave a lot to be desired. It's almost as if they are doing you a favour letting you place your order with them. But, that's a whole other topic. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big_D said:

However, the Sales team leave a lot to be desired. It's almost as if they are doing you a favour letting you place your order with them. But, that's a whole other topic. 

Why put up with poor service, dont give them you money and email the sales manager to let him know it was their attitude that lost them the sale. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big_D said:

@cruiserOAP Jemca is the franchised Toyota Dealer in Reading Berkshire, although they have other branches too. Their parts team are great. They call back within the promised time, and go out of their way to help. However, the Sales team leave a lot to be desired. It's almost as if they are doing you a favour letting you place your order with them. But, that's a whole other topic. 

Yes, that is the exact feeling I was getting - Like they were the ones doing me a favour! I must admit I would have likely bought from the 'other' dealer (Who have an actual parts desk, who are much easier to deal with!), if not for me using the cockup of my Mk2 as leverage for additional discounting, as while they wouldn't refund for the mis-advised work they were willing to discount it from the cost of the Mk4 and also take in the car at full scrappage.

Parts isn't as good as yours, but I found out there are only 2 staff in the parts department and they really need more, as there is often a queue of people waiting to see them! I think a lot of the problems I have with my dealer are due to understaffing and burnout.

They have gotten better - During my windshield episode, the service agent handling it actually answered the phone and on occasion called me (Albeit too late in some cases), which is already an improvement on previous experiences with the service department. Still got a long way to go before they get to what I'd consider a 5-star level (Which they keep asking me to rate them on Trustpilot...), but at least there's improvement shown.

2 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Why put up with poor service, dont give them you money and email the sales manager to let him know it was their attitude that lost them the sale. 

I never bought any of my cars from them. I bought my cars elsewhere.

I called and left a message for the Sales Manager to call. Guess what?? I am still waiting for them to return my call.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links