Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need opinion on tyre please

Dande

Hi,

I have a laufenn eq+ that has only done about 6k miles and it looks like the pictures attached. Sorry they are not the best angle.

This was the osf but I moved it to the nsr a month or so ago. 

How do you work out the middle 3/4 exactly? Is it as simple as 205 - 75% ÷ 2 then it has to be 1.6mm that far in?

It came up as an advisory on mot in April. Would you say it's done for already or close to it?

PXL_20230609_113907003.jpg

PXL_20230609_113900540.jpg

PXL_20230605_110256090.jpg

If it came up as advisory I would take it to a tyre replacement dealer and get them to have a look and see what they have to say. 

• Thanks 1

Looks like it's scrubbed on the outer edge while it was on the front, alignment problems maybe?

Are you saying this tyre has only done 6 thousand miles?

I don't think the mathematics matter so much,if a tyre has had it, it's had it , whatever the reason.

Best to get worn or damaged tyres replaced, and get alignment checked properly I would say.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I was going to take it on Monday morning and ask what they think. Obviously It needs to be changed sooner rather than later. Money is a bit tight so I am trying to wait until I start my new job so I can get 2 tyres and tracking. I know you shouldn't take liberties with tyres but I feel like it's ok because the rest of the tyre has a lot of tread and it's not on the front getting worn as much.

I agree with tracking. That's really quick to wear out. Gotta be something going on. The other front tyre was wearing similar but not as badly. 

Are the tyres on the front scrubbing on the outside edges now?

If so that looks like toe in , misalignment.

Ok if money is tight at the moment, I understand, been there.

Two things to bear in mind though, the alignment needs to be done properly, I would suggest a place local to you with good recommendations/ reviews ,preferably laser, rather than a fast fit outfit that does not know how to use the equipment properly if indeed they have any.

Secondly,if that tyre is worn beyond the limits,it may be safe for now, but if you get a pull,the fine and points will far exceed the cost of a new tyre.

Do you have a full size spare you can put on until you get a chance to sort it properly?

They are not scrubbing yet much but they will do. They are the same tyres.

I could put a budget tyre on to tide me over until I can buy a pair and get alingment.

Yeah no way I am going to fast fit places. I don't mind paying for a decent place to do it. I just can't right now.

If that was your tyre would you have already changed it? How do you tell when it's too much wear?

I have no idea how they measure the middle 3/4 officially. 

I am not sure either, but have you had a tread depth gauge across the rest of the tyre ?

It looks on the wear I indicators to me, but can't really tell from the photos.

Yes I would change that tyre if it was me , but it's not me , so I would measure the tread for a start to see if it's illegal,as I said not worth risking a fine and points.

I ask again, do you have a spare wheel with legal tyre that you can fit for now?

• Thanks 1

I got it changed today as I cant be sure and I don't want points. They said it was still legal but I changed it anyway.

I felt like it was ok but It's not worth the stress and to take any risks.

The spare tyre is a steel rim space saver...

Thanks for everyone's input and opinions.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lol, 6000 mIles tyre that looks like has done 20 times more?! 🫢 

The tyre looks like been driven under inflated and overheated in addition to any possible suspension or alignment issues. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links