Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Info please

Dave the aygo

I have an x trend mmt

What is the best auto out of 

The mmt or the new aygo x with cvt

I am just wondering how much different the two are 

Thanks

• Like 1

Haven’t experienced the mmt, but most of the comments on here are not very praiseworthy, however, cvt seems faultless and extremely reliable.

• Like 2

Night and day, the Aygo x exclusive also comes with paddle shifters, the Late MMT is the last and the most reliable of the MMT's aka x-shift

Fine if you have warranty, otherwise is can sink you for £2000-3000 for a dealer clutch change Inc actuators

• Like 2

I didn't think the clutch had a warranty on it thanks for both your comments

• Like 1

The clutch doesn't, but the actuators do, unsure about cars under relax

a quick look at the relax terms here's what's covered

Automatic gearbox

Transaxle / Transmission Case; Gears and Shafts; Selectors; Electronic Actuators; Brake
bands; Clutches; Valve Block; Oil Pump; Oil Cooler; Electronic Control Unit; Hubs;
Bearings and Bushes; Seals and Gaskets; Shift Linkage and Cables; Torque Converter;
Gear Lever

• Like 2

Having experienced both, the CVT is outstanding and well worth the upgrade

• Like 4

Thanks for the info I am going on Sunday for a test drive in the Aygo x 

So i will see what it's like 

• Like 2

If you do the test drive, try to pull up / overtake on a highway or go on roads that go up a hill..  do some overtaking on A roads.

The high revving and the already loud engine (2 dB louder in a cvt aygo x) would make it a no go for me and send me towards manual.

I do agree, because of (supposed) higher reliability, the cvt would win it for me from the mmt. 

Knowing the aygoX is a bigger, more modern designed car with a more usable trunk but just as tiny entrance to the back seat, 

Lot nicer dash, better multimedia, bit wider car that sticks to the road better..  the aygoX with CVT has other plusses compared to the mmt mk2.

• Like 2

TBH it's no different than if you downshifted to do the same overtake as quickly in a manual; The difference is with a manual, people often just floor the accelerator without changing gear and wait for the engine to slowly pick up.

With my Mk4, I've learned to use more finesse with the accelerator if I want to accelerate without the engine surging; I can push it down a bit more (Rather than a lot) and slowly increase pressure to accelerate at the same rate as I would in a manual if I didn't change down, whereas if I just floor it, it's like if I downshifted to 2nd and floored it in a manual :laugh: 

It is a bit weird if your're used to a 'normal' fixed ratios gearbox, and not for everyone, as that disconnect between engine speed and road speed can be a bit disconcerting until you get used to it! Once you are tho' it's fine, and I must admit I now prefer it to automated manuals like MMT and DSG because it is much more responsive. (I've never liked automated manuals because they can get confused and leave you mid-change for a long-feeling fraction of a second before they sort themselves out and finally pick a gear; A problem CVTs and TCs never have)

• Like 4

I had a 70 plate mmt before my Aygo X and agree that the CVT won't suit everyone and it depends on where you do your driving. I drive around town and that's pretty much it and compared to the mmt... Well no comparison as I found the mmt slow to react and sometimes just plain dumb with deciding what gear it should be in. Don't buy the CVT and expect it to be perfect though as it's revvy and can be noisy but I've learnt to change my driving style to suit it and just use a light right foot and personally I love it.

• Like 5

Thanks all for your advice I will let you know my view on Sunday after the test drive 

Well I have had a test drive the car still feels nippy handles well

Not as noisey as I thought cvt works well I do agree you need to think ahead a little but will get use to it

By the way forget to mention I did order one today will arrive September

will be sorry to see the x trend go

Been a good car but keeping a black car clean is a pain i always seem to be cleaning it but now looking forward to the x arriving 

• Like 5

yeah I agree the CVT isn't at all noisy once it gets going. Glad you've enjoyed the test drive and will look forward to seeing pictures of your new one.

• Like 1

How's yours been Wiz? You've had it for a little while now!

13 minutes ago, Cyker said:

How's yours been Wiz? You've had it for a little while now!

I'm going to post a full review in a separate thread 😉 The only major disappointment is that the paintwork has been ruined by tree sap, which I'm going to have to try to get rid of. I live near a very overzealous tree that decided to go overboard.

• Like 2

Ugh I hear you, that stuff can be a bugger to get off - So many little dots of it all over the car!

If you've got a good wax/sealant coating on, a good rain shower will usually shift the worse of it, otherwise I find I have to give the car a good pre-rinse before trying to clean it otherwise it's like trying to shift dried weetabix!!

Hmm, I haven't tested how the foam lance does against that stuff yet now that I think about it...

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links