Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving with both smart keys in car.

Søren Hansen

Hi all. 

We will soon drive on hollyday in our corolla cross. The car is equipped with smart keys. 

We usually bring both keys on hollyday in case we should loose one. And that makes me wonder. 

Anyone knows if it's a problem driving with both keys in the car at the same time? 

Have a nice weekend 😊

Kindly 

Søren 

7 hours ago, Søren Hansen said:

Anyone knows if it's a problem driving with both keys in the car at the same time? 

In our 2013 model it has not caused any problems whilst driving with both keys in the front passenger area of the car.  But we haven't ever tried to park the car securely, with one of its keys still inside (in the luggage??).

I think you might want to experiment beforehand with how the car responds to the 'keys in luggage' situation.  If there is a problem, you could try disabling the 'remote opening function' on the spare key (hold down 'lock' button whilst additionally pressing 'unlock' twice in succession - defaults back to 'normal' mode with any additional button press).  Or put the key in a Faraday pouch.

I think it might complain about locking the car with a key still inside it, otherwise.

For what it's worth, the car has key-in-car 'detectors' in the front, obviously, but also behind the rear quarterlight windows, above the front of the boot parcel shelf.

Enjoy your weekend too!  Great weather over here currently, and Johnson has gone! 

:biggrin: :nopity:

• Like 2

I can tell, if you have the second fob in the car anywhere and try to lock it with your first fob the car will beep continuously and won’t lock itself. 
Other than that no problems at all to have both keys. We done it many times traveled through Europe one key in my pocket the other in hers bag and once I open and start the car, the next stop she did it perhaps with her key but the car it’s fine and does not confuse itself or cause any problems. 👍

• Like 3

Had exactly what Tony describes. Only had it a few days and wondered what the hell was going going on. Couldn't lock the car and a continuous beep. Message on the dash saying key still present or something. Wife had left key in car. I was pleased actually because I was never happy when she left keys in the Passat even though it didn't object.

• Like 3

In this case it's probably worth buying a Faraday pouch and putting the extra key in there before storing it with the luggage.

• Like 1

You can also just turn the key transmitter off by holding LOCK and pressing UNLOCK twice, then the car won't be able to sense it anymore. You'll have to press one of the buttons to wake it up when you want to use it tho' as that also stops any of the keyless door and engine start functions working with that key due to the radio circuits being off.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

You can also just turn the key transmitter off by holding LOCK and pressing UNLOCK twice, then the car won't be able to sense it anymore. You'll have to press one of the buttons to wake it up when you want to use it tho' as that also stops any of the keyless door and engine start functions working with that key due to the radio circuits being off.

Really useful, don't tell the wife though 🤣

• Haha 1

Only issue I can see with keeping one of the keys in the car, is insurance.

For example our LV= policy states under 'Care of your car': "Ignition device - you must always close your windows and sun-roofs, lock your doors and take your ignition device with you when you leave your car unattended."

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Søren Hansen said:

Hi all. 

We will soon drive on hollyday in our corolla cross. The car is equipped with smart keys. 

We usually bring both keys on hollyday in case we should loose one. And that makes me wonder. 

Have a nice weekend 😊

Kindly 

Søren 

We have had no problems, but you have to take both keys with you when you leave the car, otherwise it won't lock. Failing to lock can easily go unnoticed if you are in a hurry! 

• Like 1

Yes, like I said above it happened to me just a few days after picking it up. It makes so many beeps at times I was walking off thinking its locked, its off, the windows are shut, I'll sort it when I get back. But noticed the wing mirrors hadn't folded so it wasn't locked! And I'm with LV 😳

It does not allow locking whenever any of the key is inside 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links