Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota's Apri....

TheNissanMan

Just read this on the Toyota UK Site....

New Toyota Avensis rules the Airwaves

By tradition the car in front is a Toyota, but now that message is being broadcast more widely thanks to a breakthrough in vehicle-to-vehicle radio transmissions.

Adaptive Phase Radio Interface (APRI) uses an integrated car radio transmitter which broadcasts any number of pre-set messages. Using a dedicated ultra-low frequency system, it overrides any other radio transmissions within a five-metre radius, effectively allowing a Toyota vehicle to take control of the local airwaves. APRI builds on technology first unveiled in the Toyota POD concept car, presented at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2001.

Already a number of new Avensis models have been equipped with APRI and transmit advertising bulletins about the special qualities of the car and details of a customer hotline for sales enquiries. The messages are picked up by any other vehicle coming within five metres of the car, with its audio system switched on. A wavelength sensor prevents any interference with frequencies used by the emergency services.

Owners who select the APRI option for their new Toyota can have their own personal messages downloaded into the system. These can then be selected according to preference, just as you would choose your favourite CD. The system will be available to the public from early 2004 and safety messages are expected to be the most popular with commands such as ‘keep your distance’, ‘dip your lights’ or ‘I need to pass, please move over’.

"The possibilities are limitless," said Toyota R&D spokesman Joki Shonyu, "drivers can even sell on their ‘air time’ to third parties to broadcast adverts and announcements for businesses and organisations."

Can you imagine the possibilities :P Pre-recorded messages "get the f**k out of my way" or " Are you pi**ed or something??" could bring new levels of road rage, link it in with, pre-recorded messages of "Fancy a drink, follow me??" could change the way to meet other people....

Whatever will they think of next....

Was thinking that as well.... MOre common messages to include....

1) "Who knows where the hell were going...."

2) "Can't that old tin can go any faster..."

or from past meets

3) "Anyone heard from Steve or has he a) broken down B) woken up c) stopped eating yet ?"

:P :wacko: :P

:D :D :D

Or on your way to a meet you happened to come across another car club,first car kindly informs them to move to the inside lane and that would leave the rest to pass on sarcastic comments on their cars as they went passed. :o :P :D

Wonder if we could approach Toyota and arrange a Group Buy to get the first ones in the UK, we could have soooo much fun with that product :)

Perhaps i could have a message as members are leaving the meet

"Go fast and lose your membership"

:lol::lol::lol:

I was going to say....

What Membership, it hasn't really started yet :P

But, another very good use for it :)

Speaking of which when is the gold membership starting?

well.. I hav just received the proof on the gold cards

Just need to do a couple more things and we should be ready to roll.

this gold card stops you from spending too much! LOL

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links