Do Not Sell My Personal Information

build the 3sge or do a swap......?

dross99_si

My buddy has a 89 celica w/ the 3sge engine. What is the best/easiest swap for him to do? Or does the 3sge have potential? Any of you guys have wicked all motor or turbo 3sge's. Let me know what's up.... Thanks!

• 5 years later...
My buddy has a 89 celica w/ the 3sge engine. What is the best/easiest swap for him to do? Or does the 3sge have potential? Any of you guys have wicked all motor or turbo 3sge's. Let me know what's up.... Thanks!

Old thread I know, and most likely the poster has long gone - but is there any reason to ever think an engine such as the 3s-ge that got Toyota such acclaim in the WRC all those years ago should need upgrading? If its not broken then dont fix it! :P

:lol: blimey it is an old thread!!

personally in that dudes situation, i'ld go for a 3sgte... not much you can do with the 3sge to gain alot of power. :)

:lol: blimey it is an old thread!!

personally in that dudes situation, i'ld go for a 3sgte... not much you can do with the 3sge to gain alot of power. :)

I agree on the 3s-gte, but the 3sge seems to do ok with the turbo on it

but is there any reason to ever think an engine such as the 3s-ge that got Toyota such acclaim in the WRC all those years ago should need upgrading? If its not broken then dont fix it! :P

The engine that got Toyota all the acclaim in their Celica and Corolla WRC cars was the 3S-GTE not the 3S-GE

Very true, my mistake

The ST165 GT-Four made its World Rally debut in the 1988 Tour de Corse and finished 6th. The first victory came in 1988 Cyprus (non-WRC), and the first WRC victory in 1989 Rally Australia.

I thought the GT4 had originally had the 3GSE on board, didnt realise it was packaged from the start with the 3SGTE

yes you can turbo the 3S-GE but its cheaper, easier and more reliable to bung the 3S-GTE in instead. go for a rev 3 lump with a boost increase to 1.1bar, air filter and 'saust and you should have a nice 300 ponies