Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Picnic 2.0 Versus Stream 2.0

ajyong

Hi All

I've had my '98 Ipsum for a year and a half now. I think it is really good. When I got it there were very few on the roads around Christchurch, New Zealand.

There seems to be more Ipsums around every day now. I usually see 3 or 4 every time I go out in mine.

I think you made an excellent choice buying an Ipsum.

Don (Squonx)

Christchurch

New Zealand

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matnor

• ajyong

• Clement6800

• Squonx

:D Hi Clement6800..

I did see the the oil filter while the mechanic was servicing my car...it's in the middle of engine towards the left side..However it's not that easy to take out since the mechanic took nearly half an hour..need to use the chain type ranch..

Hi Squonx..How're you?..There are quite many units on the Kuala Lumpur road now..

I did not regret in buying the car...my kids love it..

It's good FC on the h/way..however a little bit on the high side for city driving with all those traffic jam in Kuala Lumpur..but still acceptable..compare to Kia

Thanks Matnor :thumbsup:

I assume you meant its between the engine & bulkhead, and nearer the leftside of the car (ie nearer the gearbox & away from the crankshaft pulley).

I will check it out this weekend. Cheers!

:yes: Hmmm right..that's what I've noticed..there is one little or minor issue though..oil's spilled on the engine..since the oil filter is above there..normally other oil filter is located below or undernearth the engine..

Thanks Matnor,

that means it is reacheable from above the leftside of the engine?

I need not crawl under the car then, which is a bonus. Cheers!.

Hi Clement6800,

Thanks for the info - your choice and your experience with other car maker. Luckily Matnor could fill you in on the oil changing. Me.. quite hopeless. Don't know where is the thing and will let the service centre change the thing for me.

FC wise, I find mine a guzzler as compared to my Corolla. I took the picnic for a short trip between singapore and KL and the drive was quite comfortable. Very pleasant compared to the Wira (my brother's car) I drove from JB to KL.

Cheers,

Anthony

Hi Ajyong;

How was your trip to KL?

"FC wise, I find mine a guzzler as compared to my Corolla." I found the same if I were to compare FC with my Wira (1.5 Manual)..However, my Ipsum could give me 500km for 43 L on the h/way..and 450km on mixed city& h/way driving.. :rolleyes:

Hi Matnor,

The trip to KL was pleasant. The ride was really nice. just a bit worried though cause its the first 1000km which by right (as was told by my friend) that I should not do the "engine breaking in" over the long distance. Too bad lah. No choice. Got to drive my wife back to KL.

The petrol needle (indicator for fuel tank) very strange. Once it moves from full tank, it moves rapidly towards the empty.. what i mean is that it stays at full for some time after full re-fuel. Then once it leaves the full mark, its a fast descend.

:D

Hi Ajyong;

Good to hear that!

As for the long journey..it's ok as long as you do not drive over 100km/h as often as you like it to be, during the first "1000km" mileage..

I think you better get the SC to check your car..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ajyong

Matnor is correct. In fact breaking your car engine over a continous 1000km journey is better than the stop & start we go thro in Singapore roads when breakin in. In theory, you get less petrol contamination from the many cold starts. Also you are breaking it in at a constant temp. If you cruise at 110kph you are probably doing 2000+ rpm which is perfect. So long you don't >3000 rpm its fine.

Actually the only reason I don't normally want to break in my engine in Malaysia is becos I thot the brand new car may be too tempting for the car thieves.

As for the fuel guage behavior it is quite normal. This is because the indicator is monitored by a float (something like the ball float in yr WC). since it is inside the fuel tank, it can only move ( ie measure the fuel level) from floor to ceiling of the tank. However there is extra volume from the ceiling (up the filler neck which in a MPV may be longer than usual) to the tank cap. When you top up to the tank cap, then drive off, the float will not drop until the fuel in the filler neck is depleted.

Hence you can drive quite a distance, before the float starts to fall (ie yr indicator starts falling).

BTW how is yr consumption on Singapore roads??? I manage 9.5-9.9km/l at best , & I drive very gently considering the cost of petrol nowadays. My is a 2litre Picnic. This about the same as my old 2.4L Spacewagon. Which is rather disappointing.

Best regards!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi just read your posts i've had my picnic for just over 12 months and would'nt even consider any other mpv.

I've had no problems with it apart from the clutch(probally due to the trips to spain with the caravan).

performance wise it puts the likes of the picasso and scenic to shame which are the preffered mpv here in the uk.

stick with the picnic.

interestingly (or not) my 2.0 Petrol Picnic's (7 seater) clutch started to judder from about 50K, and had to be replaced at 60K. I have never towed anything with it, but have made several trips to Ireland with '7 up' + top-box

• 1 month later...
Hi Ajyong

Matnor is correct. In fact breaking your car engine over a continous 1000km journey is better than the stop & start we go thro in Singapore roads when breakin in. In theory, you get less petrol contamination from the many cold starts. Also you are breaking it in at a constant temp. If you cruise at 110kph you are probably doing 2000+ rpm which is perfect. So long you don't >3000 rpm its fine.

Actually the only reason I don't normally want to break in my engine in Malaysia is becos I thot the brand new car may be too tempting for the car thieves.

As for the fuel guage behavior it is quite normal. This is because the indicator is monitored by a float (something like the ball float in yr WC). since it is inside the fuel tank, it can only move ( ie measure the fuel level) from floor to ceiling of the tank. However there is extra volume from the ceiling (up the filler neck which in a MPV may be longer than usual) to the tank cap. When you top up to the tank cap, then drive off, the float will not drop until the fuel in the filler neck is depleted.

Hence you can drive quite a distance, before the float starts to fall (ie yr indicator starts falling).

BTW how is yr consumption on Singapore roads??? I manage 9.5-9.9km/l at best , & I drive very gently considering the cost of petrol nowadays. My is a 2litre Picnic. This about the same as my old 2.4L Spacewagon.  Which is rather disappointing.

Best regards!!

Hi Clement6800,

Thanks for the info and comment. Hee hee.. Was so busy since my second junior came and did not even check on the the forum. Anyway, thanks for the info.

As for the FC, I did not really check mine since I got the car. too lazy i guess. I probably should make some effort to find out. At least I have a feel on the fuel consumption like. Will let you know. Merry Christmas to you.. and Matnor too.. :)

- Ajyong

Happy NEW YEAR to all the Ipsum/Picnic owners.

I haven't visited this site for month or two.

My Ipsum is still going great except somebody crashed into my rear 3 weeks ago. Everything has been fixed now except the reversing sonar.

Catch you in the new year.

Squonx

• 1 month later...

Happy Chine New Year to ajyong and the rest of Ipsum/Picnic Owners...

I'm going back to my home town..

Feel great now..just changed my headlights 2 crystal headlights ..a lot brighter when driving at night!

• 2 months later...

Hello guys..how r u doing?..I've been travelling a lot..having fun with the car & my kids..

Hi ajyong..your rear lights use normal bulb or led type?

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I am new here. Several days ago I've booked my new car - Avensis Verso (Ipsum in Japan, Picnic in Singapore and some other places) - it should arrive on August/September (three months to wait - it is just a horror!). :)

I am glad to meet so many happy Ipsum users - it is not a very popular car anywhere, even in Japan, so it's difficult to find more than two or three users on other forums or newsgroups.

Some words 'bout my car - it will be 7-seater navy blue, a higher version (Sol) - with automatic aircondition and rear row conditioning, VSC, 16" alloys, 2.0 petrol VVT-i engine. Additionally I've ordered the leather upholstery - original is too dark and looks cheap. Sorry that Toyota doesn't offer cruise control, xenon headlights and rain sensor - for Avensis (Sedan, Liftback and Wagon) they do. And the biggest sorrow - the new 2.2L diesels won't be mounted in Ipsum :( - they are the best Toyota's shot this year - the stronger one has 177hp, 400Nm of torque and makes over 16km/L (Avensis)! Only fault is, of coz, a price - one need about 100k km to equal higher price with fuel costs savings.

T.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi T.N..welcome to the forum..

ajyong is having the same car as yours..you could share the experience together..mine is the previous version..2.0 yr 99.

There are quite many Ipsum on our roads..in Kuala Lumpur..and Singapore..known as Picnic..

ajyong is having the same car as yours..you could share the experience together..mine is the previous version..2.0 yr 99.

There are quite many Ipsum on our roads..in Kuala Lumpur..and Singapore..known as Picnic..

Hi!

Unfortunately, Toyota stops selleing Avensis Verso (Picnic/Ipsum) in Europe. My car will be one of the lasts! I hope there will be no problems with parts etc.

Hey, ajyong - what about your car? Are you pleased? Tell me - you have a patrol engine? - but is it D-4 VVT-i or simply VVT-i one? I think 'bout direct petrol injection - D-4 has it, just VVT-i - not.

T.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys..how r you doing?..my car just doing great..

Hi!

Unfortunately, Toyota stops selleing Avensis Verso (Picnic/Ipsum) in Europe. My car will be one of the lasts! I hope there will be no problems with parts etc.

Hey, ajyong - what about your car? Are you pleased? Tell me - you have a patrol engine? - but is it D-4 VVT-i or simply VVT-i one? I think 'bout direct petrol injection - D-4 has it, just VVT-i - not.

T.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links