Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking From Rear. Could It Be These?

cookci

hi ive been getting a knocking noise from my car since day 1. It comes from the rear. We cant make the car make reproduce the same noise unless its driven.

Little disturbances in the road create the noise. but big bumps dont.

the garage cant figure out what it is but i have my suspisions about these bars at the back:

knockinbar.jpg

Basically i can twist both bars with my hands because the bushes give enough. I can reproduce a slight knocking noise from doing this. Also both rear brake calipers have a little play in them.

Is there any chance some kind person could try twising these bars on there St202 to see if its normal... please :thumbsup:

Hi,you will be able to twist these bars slightly as there are rose joints in the end bushes .the knocking is more likely to be anti roll bar bushes a common failure on celicas dont cost much and only take about 15 minutes to change :thumbsup:

can i disconnect the anti roll bars for a quick 2 second test drive to see if thats them?

ill have a look

cheers

christian

you can drive all day without it connected , just dont go round corners like a knob.

i agree its the anti roll bar bushes , its also worthwhile to wrap a rubber strip around the bar where the rubbers have been , as the anti roll bar itself wears away after time due to the rubbing ,and just changing the bushes does nothing on its own.

do you mean the anti roll tie bars or the bits or rubber that hold it too the car?

how do i remove these?

cheers

christian

p.s. the knocking sounds like its coming from inside the car. until your actually in the boot (when driving) and then it sounds like its coming from underneath you.

btw its def not the interior or spare wheel!

here is a picture of my anti roll bar

rollbar.jpg

which bit do i replace?

if you disconnect the tie bars it will knock like hell , to take the anti roll bar out of the equation totally , either get new bushes £ 10 the pair , or build the old ones up using an old inner tube wrap a sliver around the anti roll bar then put the bushes back in and fix them back up to floor pan.the noise does sound like inside the car , i had this trouble on my 95 celi and it turned out to be these bushes.

you can see on the pic the cups that hold up the bushes , 2 x 12mm bolts

does the bush wrap round the bar or slide down the bar?

wondering if a full removal of the thing is needed?

Are they £10 from toyota?

cheers :thumbsup:

yeah £ 10 a pair ish , they have a split in them at the top , you simply open them up and hook em over the roll bar , then clamp up the bracket , the bracket only goes on 1 way mind ya as its sloped to fit the chassis.

they dont look perished though

did urs not either?

were the knocks deep and hollow and only apparent at slower speeds on slight bumps rather than big ones?

im hoping it is this cos its drivign me mad :arrgg-matey:

the hole in the middle kinda gets bigger and worn it ends up oval and not circular plus the anti roll bar gets highly polished which makes it slip even more.i wrapped insulation tape around the anti roll bar and put the old ones back up first , before i went out for new bushes.and the knocking stopped so i went and got the new ones. :thumbsup: constant small bumps in the road rattled the floor like crazy sounded like exhaust rattle.

constant small bumps in the road rattled the floor like crazy

sounds about right :hokus-pokus: :thumbsup:

ill give them a try, cheers mate :thumbsup:

I've got the same problem at the mo, just ordered a set of bushes from Mr T @ £13.70 incl VAT. Had exactly the same prob on my old Gen 4, luckily its a cheap and easy job to sort out, should only take 15 mins (providing the bolts come out!)

cant thank you all enough for this... its sorted my car out :hokus-pokus:

funny thing is there was no visible damage to these bushes or any signs of wear when they were in my hand... a bit of electrical tape and :hokus-pokus: sorted

fantastic :thumbsup:

are these bushes ment to grip the bar or was there just a little play between the bar and the bush?

i built my bar up until the bushes were tight as hell , no movement by hand , but with cornering i'm sure they still too and fro. it's sure pleasing when the tapping goes away isnt it. :thumbsup:

very pleasing. i wont have to have my stereo so loud now... Perhaps this post should be made a sticky?

There was no movement by hand before and still isn't. TBH im a bit gobsmacked its cured it!

so you reckon the tape will last?

doubt it , i tried that just to see if it cured it , which it did , so i got new bushes , but this time i used strips of an old cycle inner tube instead of the tape.

i do things my way :yes:

i've got the smae knocking coming from the back of my 94 celica.. I was sure it was the exhaust.. guess not!! :D

I will give ur advice a try with some electrical tape.. will that surfice?

yes it will for about a week , then it disappears