Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


  • Join Toyota Owners Club

    Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

     

     

Toyota GB statement on Theft


Rigsby
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, GoneFishin247 said:

That sounds even worse. What is happening here.

They said, oh you can no longer fold the back seats flat, I said, I will cope.

They said, it sounds like a choir of angels being attacked with acid, I said see above. But it's becoming more than a little annoying.

They said, you cannot go anywhere, even legal places that don't require seatbelts, without the car demanding you put one on. I'll soldier through.

They said, don't go one mile an hour over the speedometer's guess at speeds for even one second. I said, tis but a scratch.

And, then it turns out the damned thing can be stolen on a whim. I'm out.

Well, it all rather depends on what model year you have / are intending to buy ...

If you read all the thread, you would know that the CANbus vulnerability has been resolved for all HEVs built since October 2022 and never existed for the PHEV. For cars that are vulnerable you can have protection plates fitted to ensure that the CANbus isn't accessible via the headlights. If you live in the wrong part of the country a steering lock / visible deterrent is a good idea.

And then:

  • Yes, the seats don't fold completely flat - but they certainly fold flat enough.
  • Yes, it sounds divine.
  • The overspeed warning on pre-2022 model can be visual only and no hassle at all.

So, exactly what is it that you are intending to buy - just so that we know where any real worries might be?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These cars are not for you - You should probably be looking at a BMW X5 or an Lexus RX400h or something like that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

what are the security improvements on the  2024 Rav4 hybrid's? is it just the plates being fitted at factory , or are there other improvements?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, J2024IE said:

what are the security improvements on the  2024 Rav4 hybrid's? is it just the plates being fitted at factory , or are there other improvements?

 

Not even sure about plates someone will tell us I'm sure? But they will be similar to the '21 PHEV and '22 HEV onwards which do not have the well aired vulnerability as they incorporate a modified canbus system.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, J2024IE said:

what are the security improvements on the  2024 Rav4 hybrid's? is it just the plates being fitted at factory , or are there other improvements?

I'm not aware of any "security improvements on the 2024 Rav4 hybrid's". As Ernie says, the specific vulnerability was addressed in 2022. Toyota won't be fitting protection plates as there no longer is a vulnerability to protect against.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Got my 21 plate Rav4 covered with the plates and have the yellow lock on wheel. 

Hopefully it doesn't affect things too much planned on keeping this for a long time !!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

😡Still waiting for this technical upgrade to be announced that we were promised by early May. That should then make ours no different from the latest model's security wise.

Terry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

😡Still waiting for this technical upgrade to be announced that we were promised by early May. That should then make ours no different from the latest model's security wise.

Terry

Be interested to find out if they just meant the protection plates and played with words 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, PAISLEY1903 said:
1 hour ago, Terry10 said:

😡Still waiting for this technical upgrade to be announced that we were promised by early May. That should then make ours no different from the latest model's security wise.

Terry

Be interested to find out if they just meant the protection plates and played with words 😅

Not even a politician would attempt to get away with "playing with words" to that extent. They very clearly stated that the "protection plates" are available now and that the "security hardware components will very soon be available".

It strikes me as 'unlikely'  that the "security hardware components" will be the same as the revised CANbus implementation that has been available since 2022 - i.e. our cars will be different from the later models in terms of security implementation but, hopefully, they will be comparably secure. We still await the news ...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

Be interested to find out if they just meant the protection plates and played with words 😅

I have had an email conversation with Toyota and they did acknowledge that there is a fix being brought out in addition to the plates. They even admitted that they initially said end of April/beginning of May but that it was taking longer than expected. It's just painfully slow but in fairness it's better they get it right in the end.

Terry

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ours is going in for a service so asked for them to be fitted. Parts are free but got to pay c£168 for labour.

Do they come with warning stickers or anything? I’ve already bought the eBay stickers.

Cheers,

Simon 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, SimonAdd said:

Ours is going in for a service so asked for them to be fitted. Parts are free but got to pay c£168 for labour.

Do they come with warning stickers or anything? I’ve already bought the eBay stickers.

Cheers,

Simon 

That seems steep...sure it was £70 to have then fitted...  🤔 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had mine done , cost was £70 should be no more, no stickers , fit your eBay ones . TSB states plates are free charge £70 to fit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SimonAdd said:

Ours is going in for a service so asked for them to be fitted. Parts are free but got to pay c£168 for labour.

Do they come with warning stickers or anything? I’ve already bought the eBay stickers.

Cheers,

Simon 

It's definitely £70.00. Toyota set the figures, they supply the plates F.O.C. Your dealer is being a bit naughty I am sorry to say. I would suggest you get in touch with Toyota customer service and they will confirm in writing for you.

Hate it when dealers try those tricks 😡😡😡

Terry

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Thanks for the responses.  Does the TSB have a reference number or anything? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure I’m afraid on the number but I’ve just checked my invoice which says “ Fit protection plates “ £58.33 with vat £70 ,

they also carried out a free health and tyre safety check , it had 301 miles on it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2024 at 5:26 PM, Terry10 said:

It's definitely £70.00. Toyota set the figures, they supply the plates F.O.C. Your dealer is being a bit naughty I am sorry to say. I would suggest you get in touch with Toyota customer service and they will confirm in writing for you.

Hate it when dealers try those tricks 😡😡😡

 

Whilst I do not suppose it is dishonest, it is extremely stupid! Okay, some people will just accept the price they are given, but others, (especially members of this forum 😉), will find out just what the price should be. I agre with @Terry10 - contact Toyota. If everything is confirmed and you decide to stick with the dealer, next time you need anything doing, say "is that your price or the correct price?". Personally I would be arguing for it to be done for free, due to the fact that they tried to con you.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi David,

I have just been quoted a price for the fitting of the security plates of Parts £48.25 and labour of £228 = £276 fitted.

I showed them the Toyota bulletin from 13th March 2024 and they replied that they had not been told about this and the price was for part required plus their labour charge.

Does anyone have a link to any update from Toyota since the 13th March?

If not I will contact Toyota GB direct. Thanks in anticipation.

Nigel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would either of you be so kind as to name & shame these dealerships?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Mereside said:

Hi David,

I have just been quoted a price for the fitting of the security plates of Parts £48.25 and labour of £228 = £276 fitted.

I showed them the Toyota bulletin from 13th March 2024 and they replied that they had not been told about this and the price was for part required plus their labour charge.

Does anyone have a link to any update from Toyota since the 13th March?

If not I will contact Toyota GB direct. Thanks in anticipation.

Nigel

If nobody else comes back to you with the update I think you will find it under Rav 4 Stolen thread. Unfortunately that thread is over 60 pages now but I think the info you want is in the second part of it.

regards Terry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

The dealership I dealt with is Vantage Toyota Wakefield, West Yorkshire.

Kind regards

Nigel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FRF Swansea are ours. We’ve had issues with them over the years but they are generally very good.

My wife is contacting customer relations as Toyota have advised.

IMG_6440.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SimonAdd said:

FRF Swansea are ours. We’ve had issues with them over the years but they are generally very good.

My wife is contacting customer relations as Toyota have advised.

IMG_6440.png

My 2019 is booked in with them tomorrow for air-con diagnostic - I'll ask about them for mine as I visit the Midlands, and stay overnight, once a month or so

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Rod9669 said:

My 2019 is booked in with them tomorrow for air-con diagnostic - I'll ask about them for mine as I visit the Midlands, and stay overnight, once a month or so

Same as above - plates are free but fitting is £162, which is their hourly charge. I questioned the £60 / £70 and they said no, they charge an hours labour

Told them I won't pay anyone £162 an hour, and if the parts are free I'll fit them myself 🙂  Waiting to hear back

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rod9669 said:

Same as above - plates are free but fitting is £162, which is their hourly charge. I questioned the £60 / £70 and they said no, they charge an hours labour

Told them I won't pay anyone £162 an hour, and if the parts are free I'll fit them myself 🙂  Waiting to hear back

Take it to a different dealer. If you were to contact Toyota and Toyota instructed them that the price is not £162 but only £70 would you trust them to do the work properly?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share








×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership