Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clunky Gears

daz205

MR2 gear boxes are prone to worn synchros which is what causes the clunky feel. You could try using Redline MT90 gearbox fluid which will apparently help reduce that clunkiness

yup changing to a decent oil will help a lot :thumbsup:

MR2 gear boxes are prone to worn synchros which is what causes the clunky feel. You could try using Redline MT90 gearbox fluid which will apparently help  reduce that clunkiness

I have clunky gears (mainly 2nd though) so i put redline mt90 in and it made no difference at all :crybaby:

when it happens though, it goes into gear fine with no resistance and the sound (the clunk) appears as though its coming from the gear stick itself :huh: is that how it is for you guys??

i get that too but only in 3rd and when its cold, would love to hear what it is

i thought about getting one of them trd short shifter things to see if that got rid of the clunk?

Worth a try i guess.Think theres one for sale on good ol eBay at the mo. Also you might like to consider TRD uprated gearbox mounts. Available from Fensport.

My 3rd gear is clunky, not too bad changing up but changing down from 4th it sounds awful. Mine's supposed to be covered by warranty.

It's the syncro's .. and a short shift will only amplify the issue ..

use good oil and save for a new box ..

it cant be the syncros, its more like a clunk sound that comes below gear knob, surely the syncros would make more of a grinding sound? and i only get it when changing up the gears but never changing down.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links