Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warranty is confusing

Serban

Hello, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I still don't understand, can someone explain it to me like I'm a 3rd yrs old please? 

I've already asked customer service and they made me even more confused than before because obviously they can't give a straight up answer of yes or no, they have to dilute the answer by responding in 3 long phrases to successfully that takes me far far from an answer just to confuse me more..

My Q is this: I have serviced the car at 3yrs mark and will continue to do so for the next 10yrs/100kmiles as per recommendation, in this period, am I still under warranty? No prior service to the current one as I didn't own the car at the time, bought used. Yaris 21'

Thanks!

As I understand it as long as you have it serviced at a Toyota dealer the warranty is extended by one year up to 10 years or 100k miles

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

As I understand it as long as you have it serviced at a Toyota dealer the warranty is extended by one year up to 10 years or 100k miles

Exactly so.

• Like 1

Not as straightforward as it first seems.

1). The new car warranty changed from 1st June 2021.

Assuming the car was originally supplied by Toyota GB, and it was ordered before 1st June 2021, it will probably have the remainder of the 5year/100,000 mile new car warranty that was standard before June 2021.

If it was ordered from 1st June 2021, it would have had the current 3 year/60,000 mile new car warranty.

2). When was the car first registered?

3). If it has the remainder of the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty, the Relax service generated extended warranty won't apply til the new car warranty is near to expiry. In which case, if it has only just received it's first service at 3 years old, warranty coverage may be affected.

So it depends when the car was first ordered/first registered as to whether it is covered by the remainder of the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty OR the Relax service generated extended warranty.

• Like 1

So either way, so long as it’s serviced by Toyota, the warranty is 10 years or 100k miles…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Primus1 said:

So either way, so long as it’s serviced by Toyota, the warranty is 10 years or 100k miles…

No. 

If may have the remainder of the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty - ie less than two years.

The Relax service generated extended warranty won't apply until the car is serviced at the end of the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not as straightforward as it first seems.

1). The new car warranty changed from 1st June 2021.

Assuming the car was originally supplied by Toyota GB, and it was ordered before 1st June 2021, it will probably have the remainder of the 5year/100,000 mile new car warranty that was standard before June 2021.

If it was ordered from 1st June 2021, it would have had the current 3 year/60,000 mile new car warranty.

2). When was the car first registered?

3). If it has the remainder of the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty, the Relax service generated extended warranty won't apply til the new car warranty is near to expiry. In which case, if it has only just received it's first service at 3 years old, warranty coverage may be affected.

So it depends when the car was first ordered/first registered as to whether it is covered by the remainder of the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty OR the Relax service generated extended warranty.

Registered 21 June 2021.

3 minutes ago, Serban said:

Registered 21 June 2021.

So given the delay between ordering and delivery, it was probably ordered before 1st June, so may have the remainder of the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty. 

A Toyota dealer should be able to confirm which warranty the car has.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

So given the delay between ordering and delivery, it was probably ordered before 1st June, so may have the remainder of the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty. 

A Toyota dealer should be able to confirm which warranty the car has.

Which means 2 more years and warranty over

• Like 1

Just now, Serban said:

Which means 2 more years and warranty over

As I said previously, the Relax service generated extended warranty will apply at the end of the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty.

This is provided servicing is done at the recommended service intervals (12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first) by a Toyota dealer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As I said previously, the Relax service generated extended warranty will apply at the end of the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty.

This is provided servicing is done at the recommended service intervals (12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first) by a Toyota dealer.

Yes, I understood that part, thank you. I'm very simply asking whether this conditions will apply to me considering I didn't buy this car new.

1 minute ago, Serban said:

Yes, I understood that part, thank you. I'm very simply asking whether this conditions will apply to me considering I didn't buy this car new.

The new car warranty is transferable, so should be OK til 21st June 2026. However, if the car has only had the first service at 3 years rather than at 1 year or 10,000 miles, coverage may be affected.

• Like 1

So, your warranty ends if your car has the 5 year warranty?  after 5 years , so you won’t be able to use the relax warranty, but if you have a six year old car out of warranty and you have it serviced by Toyota, you then get a years warranty every time you have it serviced at a Toyota dealer up to ten years 100k  miles , no wonder it’s confusing…

... wat? :confused1:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

So, your warranty ends if your car has the 5 year warranty?  after 5 years , so you won’t be able to use the relax warranty, but if you have a six year old car out of warranty and you have it serviced by Toyota, you then get a years warranty every time you have it serviced at a Toyota dealer up to ten years 100k  miles , no wonder it’s confusing…

Working as intended 

On 6/14/2024 at 9:41 PM, Primus1 said:

So, your warranty ends if your car has the 5 year warranty?

In this instance the new car warranty will end at 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. When the new car warranty is near it's end, the car can be serviced by a Toyota dealer, and the Relax service generated extended warranty will kick in then.

Similarly when the 3 year/60,000 miles new car warranty is near it's end, the car can be serviced by a Toyota dealer and the Relax service generated extended warranty will kick in then.

Bear in mind that the new car warranty (whether 3 or 5 years) is more comprehensive than the Relax extended warranty, which is why it is important to know the difference.

• Like 2

If one assumes it came with the 5yr warranty and it had been serviced twice in those 5yrs and not by Toyota and then you come back to Toyota on it's 5th birthday, I think this is what he's asking, will it get the extended relax warranty even though it had missed some of the services.

8 hours ago, wildtapholer said:

If one assumes it came with the 5yr warranty and it had been serviced twice in those 5yrs and not by Toyota and then you come back to Toyota on it's 5th birthday, I think this is what he's asking, will it get the extended relax warranty even though it had missed some of the services.

Yes.

35 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

Yes.

Sure, but Toyota customer service refused to confirm 2 times already hence my post here.

2 hours ago, Serban said:

Sure, but Toyota customer service refused to confirm 2 times already hence my post here.

Because some Toyota and some dealers employees knows very little about their products and services and has no interest to learn. They just work there to earn their living but how competent they are and how much they know is another matter. 

• Like 4

Surely any Toyota main dealer should be able to type the VIN / registration number in to the computer & see if the vehicle has an active manufacturers OR relax warranty in place - especially if it has Toyota main dealer service history. 

• Like 3

I recently had my Yaris serviced and when i booked it in they sent confirmation that it will be covered by the Relax warranty as it has full Toyota service history.

2 hours ago, Yaris_Cross said:

I recently had my Yaris serviced and when i booked it in they sent confirmation that it will be covered by the Relax warranty as it has full Toyota service history.

I thought it didn’t matter if your car had a full service history, as long as it meets the criteria and you have it serviced at a Toyota dealer, then the warranty is for one year, then renewed every year after that, ( serviced by Toyota, and up to ten years ect) ..

So customer service came back and said my warranty runs until june 2026 and after that, it will be extended by 10k/1 year with every service done. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Serban said:

So customer service came back and said my warranty runs until june 2026 and after that, it will be extended by 10k/1 year with every service done. 

Which is what I advised.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links