Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


  • Join Toyota Owners Club

    Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

     

     

Electric/ PTC heater


LeeSD
 Share

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know if the UK spec Gen5 Corolla has an electric or ptc heater in it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, LeeSD said:

Does anyone know if the UK spec Gen5 Corolla has an electric or ptc heater in it? 

I have a 2024 Corolla 1.8 hybrid.   AFAIK it has a conventional coolant-based heating system.   I could be wrong but I don't recall there being anything in the manual to say otherwise. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t think it has an electric heater unfortunately, as soon as you turn up the heat the petrol engine starts. 
 

I’m not sure why Toyota didn’t put an electric heater into their hybrids, as the air conditioning is electric. I would have thought both systems would use similar power. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty pointless adding a PTC heater when there is already a perfectly good heat generating source under the bonnet.

With the size of the traction Battery a PTC heater draining it would soon require the engine to kick in to recharge the traction Battery anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sportse said:

I don’t think it has an electric heater unfortunately, as soon as you turn up the heat the petrol engine starts. 
 

I’m not sure why Toyota didn’t put an electric heater into their hybrids, as the air conditioning is electric. I would have thought both systems would use similar power. 

The conventional heating system uses waste heat from the engine and electric heater uses generated electricity and therefore runs the engine

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Mine could do with one - When it's cold, the engine will spin up to generate heat, but it's too efficient and takes ages to heat up unless I'm actually moving. The heater will actually suck heat out of the engine faster than it can heat itself if I'm sitting in slow traffic, and the traction Battery will get so full the engine just runs to generate heat (Very bad for my mpg!! :crybaby: ) and just moves off the electric motor, which further reduces the load on the engine making it even worse at generating heat!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On very short journeys (<5 miles) in winter, I've actually taken to turning my climate control off, lest I offer up my personal comfort as another excuse for the hybrid system to consume fuel. 🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

On very short journeys (<5 miles) in winter, I've actually taken to turning my climate control off, lest I offer up my personal comfort as another excuse for the hybrid system to consume fuel. 🤣

I’ve heard of people with electric cars going back to wearing ‘car coats’ and gloves so they get more range in winter by not using the heater. 
 

I think in the Corolla and other cars, if you use the seat heater then the car runs the cabin heater less. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sportse said:

I’ve heard of people with electric cars going back to wearing ‘car coats’ and gloves so they get more range in winter by not using the heater. 
 

I think in the Corolla and other cars, if you use the seat heater then the car runs the cabin heater less. 

Makes sense to me, heated seats are a great way to get some feeling of warmth into the body in a short time. I still sorely miss having a heated steering wheel - they're an absolute godsend during the first 10 minutes of a winter drive.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

Makes sense to me, heated seats are a great way to get some feeling of warmth into the body in a short time. I still sorely miss having a heated steering wheel - they're an absolute godsend during the first 10 minutes of a winter drive.

And to me.   In winter, I sometimes leave the heater off until the coolant has reached full working temperature (to warm the engine as quickly as possible) and just use the heated seat and steering wheel.

Did I mention heated steering wheel?   Ah, yes, my 2024 poverty-spec Icon has one... which probably puts me in line for the smug-b*****d-of-the-week award 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmph you people and your fancy heated seats and heated steering wheels... *grumble grumble*

(So jealous... :crybaby:  Why Toyota UK why?! I have a new(ish) top-spec Yaris! Why do I have to suffer frosty balls in the winter!?)

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SDR said:

 

Did I mention heated steering wheel?   Ah, yes, my 2024 poverty-spec Icon has one... which probably puts me in line for the smug-b*****d-of-the-week award 😂

I hope you enjoy it every bit as much as your speed warnings 😜😂

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

I hope you enjoy it every bit as much as your speed warnings 😜😂

Touché 😪

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SDR said:

 

Did I mention heated steering wheel?   Ah, yes, my 2024 poverty-spec Icon has one... 

Putting my serious head back on....   I ordered my Corolla back in February.   At that time the brochure listed HSW, and wiper de-icer, even for Icon spec Corollas.    My car duly arrived in April with both. 

However, neither HSW nor wiper de-icer are listed in the current brochure for any trim level of Corolla.   I know of one member on this forum whose 2024 Corolla (higher spec than mine) does not have a HSW.

Posting this because it appears that these items have been quietly dropped from the spec list and I would hate that anyone who may be considering purchasing a new Corolla might be thinking of these as buying points.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


12 hours ago, Cyker said:

Hmph you people and your fancy heated seats and heated steering wheels... *grumble grumble*

(So jealous... :crybaby:  Why Toyota UK why?! I have a new(ish) top-spec Yaris! Why do I have to suffer frosty balls in the winter!?)

 

 

Heated seats easy enough to retrofit with an aftermarket kit - done it on previous vehicles.

As for heated steering wheel - have you checked to see if the wiring is installed up to where the switch should be? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share






×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership