Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hiace Super Custom 2.4 Td

dogmobile

Hi

Does anyone have experience of overheating, I have been trying to sort it out for nearly a year. Ran it from Surrey to Devon and toured for a week and back again -no problem. Then decided to get cam belt replaced as safety measure and was advised water pump starting to leak did I want it dealt with at same time. -Got it all done. Soon after overheating started.

Have replaced rad cap. No thermostat fitted. Fan seems to cut in/out. No oil in water /no water in oil. no water leaks except when water boils and overflows from expansion bottle.

Local Toyota agent doesnt want to know. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

dogmobile

Righto, welcome to the world of the hiace pressure cooker, my cyclinder head failure is well documented here.

First off get the coolant sniffed for exhaust gas, if the head is cracked there will be exhaust residue in the coolant, if the engine is run with the cap off does it pump out when the engine is revved? If not you might be ok.

Second, you say you have no thermostat in circuit, I feel this is a mistake, get one that is a proper toyota part with a setting where it will open as cool as poss.

Third, when the system is sealed ie as you would drive it, how hot is the heater air? If it is not scalding hot next to the vent, then suspect an airlock, if it has an airlock this is well documented here in this very forum how to overcome it, but my suggestion is don't drive it until it is sorted.

Good luck!

We have a yahoo group dedicated to our cruisers, come join.

Advice too is to read this section right back as far as is available, there are lots of tips in here.

Many thanks - you seem to know your stuff - is that where the master comes in.

Will look forward to reading all about it. Once again many thanks.

dogmobile

Many thanks - you seem to know your stuff - is that where the master comes in.

Will look forward to reading all about it. Once again many thanks.

dogmobile

Well er no the master refers to something a little detached from here... :!Removed!:

As for knowing me stuff I cannot take all the credit, there have been some fine posters here in the past to mention a few chrisandhiace, cal and andy who all helped in their own way, including helping me over the 1200 quid disaster :crybaby:

Just had to go to that last dog agility show - went on 4 wheels came back on 8 or more - too busy c,,,,,g myself for not listening and doing one more trip.

Yes when hot and cap off water spews out beautifully when reved. Guess I'll be asking your advice on repairers, any advertising cheap gasket/head replacements worth following up in Autotrader?

dogmobile (in theee doghouse!)

Hi ya

If the water is spewing sounds like head, sorry mate you are going to need a bank loan.

UK cylinderheads in cornwall do a good deal on a recon head, you'll need new bolts and gaskets, thermostat, and the rad will need to be recored to for them to warrant the head.

http://www.ukcylinderheads.co.uk/

Good luck Dog. ;)

Thanks Simon - did you fit your recon head? if not how did you source a decent garage/fitter? where did you get your rad recored? how long ago/miles km was it done? how is it now ? did you do anything about exta cooling?

I have found a place in South Norwood Total car care who seem to have dealt with imports before and are making some of the right noises - but being a bit of an animal - am not too hot on my nuts and bolts. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dog

What I was lead to believe was they mod the head to try to stop it over heating again, they told me that so make your own questions when you buy one.

If you ask around for recommendations that would be best, make sure the mechanic knows about the head problems, if he has not seen it before he might not be that fastidious, it i one of those jobs I'm afraid, rads, see someone like Serck, thinking, not too sure if they didn't say pressure test it, but most places wont, they will recore it.

Stress to the mechanic and make sure he is aware of the cost implications if it fails again. Use new head bolts too. You can check them apparently but they are about 38 quid, I bought as much from UK as possible to counter any arguments about inferior parts in case it failed again.

Mine was done about 8 or 9 months now so say about 10 thousand miles.

I do lots of miles, I need something smaller but I like it, not many about and space, i love space.

Sorry this happened mate, I really am. :crybaby:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

At last have wheels again. Had to move it from first repairer - thats another story.

Apparantly the viscous fan was not working properly and there was a small leak in rad. Tested positive for h/gasket cylinder head pressure tested - cracked on 4.

New head, bolts etc plus recored repaired rad, fan coupling, cam belt, flush antifreeze oil and filter. Approx £1900 - good job Im a little attached to it.

Thanks for all your advice - pity I didnt heed it sooner.

dogmobile

• 2 months later...
Hi

Does anyone have experience of overheating, I have been trying to sort it out for nearly a year. Ran it from Surrey to Devon and toured for a week and back again -no problem. Then decided to get cam belt replaced as safety measure and was advised water pump starting to leak did I want it dealt with at same time.  -Got it all done. Soon after overheating started.

Have replaced rad cap. No thermostat fitted. Fan seems to cut in/out. No oil in water /no water in oil. no water leaks except when water boils and overflows from expansion bottle.

Local Toyota agent doesnt want to know. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

dogmobile

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links