Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squealing Noise

corthian

I have an avensis 2.0D4D 2001 with a loud squeal from around the belt area and when condtions are damp it is worse, seems to be where the belt presses on the air con pump any ideas.

is that soap that comes in a bar or liquid?

I always get squeaks of one sort or another from the belts in the engine, especially when cold.

It is very simple: While engine is running take the bar soap and just carfeuly touch the belt from one side and then from the other one. If this fix the problem don´t get too excited. IT'S ONLY TEMPORARY. But we use this way usualy just to detect the problem. So, if this fix the noise you simply need new belt (or lot of soap bars, ehehehe). But speaking seriosly, that means that you get cheap fix - change the belt. If soap doesn't result it might be a lot of things, like water pump...

• 2 weeks later...

wd40 ? surely the belt will slip even more :eek:

• 11 months later...
I have an avensis 2.0D4D 2001 with a loud squeal from around the belt area and when condtions are damp it is worse, seems to be where the belt presses on the air con pump any ideas.

Yes mate a common problem on Toyota Avensis and Corollas fitted with the D4D Engine.A problem that Toyota dont seem to bothered about.Firstly check that the mounting bracket for the idler pulley is the modified type which the dealers reckon gives a better wrap,but did not work for me.Secondly the shim washers for pulley alignment is critical,the dealers put a straight edge on to check this,i need mine checking but will be getting my local garage to do this as Toyota want 40 quid just to look at it what a rip off for an inherent Toyota design balls up.Like the car but will not buy another,engine needs refining not as good as the VW or the rest of the HDis diesels.Mine is comimg up to 70K so will get it checked at service and tell my local fitter the checks to try and sort this,my next option will be to try WD40 if the shim issue is not the cause.

Alan

My 2.0 D4-D 2001 has just turned 80k and has developed exactly the same problem.

Used to happen only in wet weather, but now it does it all the time when engine is cold. Seems to disappear after about 20 minutes, when engine has warmed up.

It's getting worse though. Tried WD-40, and it disappears... for a few days. So, I'll get my local garage to put a new belt in and see if this fixes it... :wacko:

[

Yes mate a common problem on Toyota Avensis and Corollas fitted with the D4D Engine.A problem that Toyota dont seem to bothered about.Firstly check that the mounting bracket for the idler pulley is the modified type which the dealers reckon gives a better wrap,but did not work for me.Secondly the shim washers for pulley alignment is critical,the dealers put a straight edge on to check this,i need mine checking but will be getting my local garage to do this as Toyota want 40 quid just to look at it what a rip off for an inherent Toyota design balls up.Like the car but will not buy another,engine needs refining not as good as the VW or the rest of the HDis diesels.Mine is comimg up to 70K so will get it checked at service and tell my local fitter the checks to try and sort this,my next option will be to try WD40 if the shim issue is not the cause.

Alan

HDi and VW engines are utter tripe, my friend has a Passat TDi, its the loudest diesel I have ever heard, it has a huge appetite for coils and other parts and he hates it, as for Citroens, Peugeots, they cant make a car with longevity if they tried, they are cheap disasters, just look on any car review site eg Carsurvey, Topgear, Peach or Lemon and look at the dreadful problems people have with their VW/French diesels etc.. catastrophic engine failure is not uncommon.

Owning a Peugeot diesel would have you begging for your Toyota back.

Also tune up your D4D like I have and get more out of it, mines quiet, !Removed! fast and thoroughly reliable. The trouble with a lot of Toyota owners is they get complacent, just because a few little things go wrong ( and no car is perfect ) they start waxing lyrical about VW's....and French cars...give me a break. The French know absolutely nothing about quality engineering...Nothing...Zilch...Zero!!!

Good luck with your next electronic nightmare of a French diesel matey! and enjoy the plumes of black smoke and woeful build quality etc...etc...etc....etc......

ROFL :D

say what you mean why dont you!!

Mind you its true, a work colleague has the Passat TDI and he looks at my Avensis with envious eyes every day lol

I made the BIG mistake of opting for a Peugeot Hdi company car before I decided to buy my own Corolla. It was frankly dreadful, it had loads of gadgets that just continually went wrong, the speedo and rev counter worked intermittently then stopped working. It had to have a new ECU, new glow plugs, they had to do something to the injection sytem. Basically it was in the garage longer than I had it on the road, and others at my firm had similar experiences. You should hear what they say about the new Renault Laguna diesel, apparently that is simply atrocious and dangerous.

Owning my Toyota has been a breath of fresh air, everything is so much better made and it all works. I wouldnt touch a French car with a bargepole. :P

My 2 pence worth is I agree, why do you think Renault, Peugeot, Citroen and the like always offer free insurance, free this and free that. Its because its a rubbish product and they need some kind of hook or they couldn't give them away. I will never stray from Toyota, my experience of the cars over 25 years has been too good.

Does the engine works well?? :P If it is just a mere squeek... bah!! :P

And.. please, DON'T trade your toyota for some french crap, let's see, over here in portugal we use to say: "There are three kinds of cars: Japanese, German, and the others" or "You shouldn't trade an Automobile for a mean of transport" :) and in my family, since a long time ago, we've had diesel toyotas for work cars (an 88 hilux wich the only tnhings we needed to buy [apart from service stuff] were 2 pairs of front wipers, and 1 or two rear lights, and the two hiaces we've owned same thing, just gas and go! :P

(sorry if there is some [lots of] bad english :wacko: )

Hi i used to work for skoda and to be honest the vw diesels aint all they are cracked upto be there power band is very narrow where has the d4d's is spread nicely across the rev range, reliability aint that good on vw tdi's has for the the hdi's from PSA they may look good on paper but in real life the car spends more time gettin fixed than it does on the road. All cars will develop a fault at some time its a machine made up of many moving parts and things will ware out but with a toyota it seems to be a few minor things theres not a vast arrey of bits going wrong. My dads had 2 avensis's they have been great cars again a few little problems but they are known problem's steering rack issues would he change his avensis oh yes he'd have another avensis would i swap my corolla yeah but again would be for another corolla or maybe an avensis. In my opinion i dont think any other manufacture can offer the same level of build quality,reliability, performance and economy.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi i used to work for skoda and to be honest the vw diesels aint all they are cracked upto be there power band is very narrow where has the d4d's is spread nicely across the rev range, reliability aint that good  on vw tdi's has for the the hdi's from PSA they may look good on paper but in real life the car spends more time gettin fixed than it does on the road. All cars will develop a fault at some time its a machine made up of many moving parts and things will ware out but with a toyota it seems to be a few minor things theres not a vast arrey of bits going wrong. My dads had 2 avensis's they have been great cars again a few little problems but they are known problem's steering rack issues would he change his avensis oh yes he'd have another avensis would i swap my corolla yeah but again would be for another corolla or maybe an avensis. In my opinion i dont think any other manufacture can offer the same level of build quality,reliability, performance and economy.

I'll second that. Most problems with Toyota's are of a very minor nature, because we are used to extreme reliability little things get magnified. Don't even get me started on French/Italian cars. Stylish? maybe.......if you like showing off your Gucci shoes on the hard shoulder in the ****** rain!!!

Listen, I sold my Volkswagen Passat TDi for my 7 year old Rav4. That's how pleased I was with it. I went away from Toyota, and regretted it.

Never again!

My next Toyota will be a D4D hopefully.

WD-40 is not a good fix for things, as it can act as a degreasant and remove grease from places where it is needed. This should be used sparingly. And not on belts! If it's screaching, it's slipping. Change it as Bosnjo rightly pointed out. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

To be quite honest i think this is a common problem with most models of toyotas, as my dad has an x reg rav4 and he had the exact same problem. Started squeeling in the wet an wore of after say 5 mins it stopped. Then got worse and worse until eventually it was there all the time. It was took into toyota themselves and the mechanic sed it was nothing to worry about as it would not break down or anything, its just a "noise" whats the problem. So rather than having his rav sound like a shed he had the job done, which took £200 out of his pocket. Apparently it was something to do with the cam. The engine is now really smooth after haveing the job done. My corolla also squeels now (worse in wet) which will have to be done soon, and ive also heard other toyotas on the road making the same noise.

I had the same problem on my 2002 1.8 vvti. My mechanic put some french chalk on it and the squeal went away. He said to keep an eye on the chalk and watch how it wears off. Mine wore off unevenly and the squeal returned so he advised fitting a new belt.He only charged 1/2 an hours labour but the toyota part/belt cost £34.what's all that about???? Anyway its running fine now.

I have a 2.0D4D 2002 avensis. At first squeaking was only present with damp weather for the first 5min/10 km. Then almost continuously. Sqeaking started at 120K km. First had the belt tightened twice. Squeaking temporarily went away. Then had the tensioning/idler pulley cleaned, sqeaking returned. Then had the multibelt replaced. Squeaking returned during vacation in Italy especially during first 15 min subsequently around and above 3000 rpm. I had the idler pulley replaced (warranty). This solved the squaking until I started using the airco several weeks later on long hot trips. Squeaking returned again. Latest effort was checking the idler pulley, airco pump and re-aligning the aircopulley. According to the dealer this solved the problem on a rav4. I am not sure but hoping for the best.

• 1 month later...

See www.dogsbyte.com/Avensis.html for a description of a problem that matches this. Has a diagram of the fan belt too.

• 1 year later...

If you have to change the multi belt once a year to prevent it from slipping

there has got to be something wrong.

I read in a previous post about re-aligning the pulleys to prevent premature wear.

Does anyone have some info about this, or have any other remedy to fix it

(apart from the soap/chalk trick. My supplies are running short ;) )

Lets take things back to basics to answer the question.

In olden days (here goes the old g*t) the fan belt drove just the water pump and dynamo/alternator. When it started squeaking it was a sign of the belt stretching, so you tightened it by adjusting the alternator away from the water pump.

On cold days when the air is moist the squeaking would be louder or longer until the belt and pulleys warmed up.

You kept making adjustments over the years until the squeaking didn't go away because the bottom of the "V" belt was grounding on the trough in the pulley. You then bought a new belt and began the process again.

On much older vehicles the belts were made of leather so you used a soap base product called 'belt stick' to help it grip the metal pulley when things got damp. (as it dried out on warm days it naturally got tighter)

I would suggest that you try adjusting the belt if possible. On my Avensis one of the belts adjusts via the alternator. The others have auto adjusters/tensioners. If this doesn't work then change the belt as it might be riding on the ridges of the pulley and only getting 50% (or less) grip.

Last resort should be to change the pulleys and tensioners.

Absolute outside problem would be a pulley bearing beginning to dry out and momentarily sticking as the engine is turned over from cold.

Thanks Penfold for your answer.

From what you are saying, the only thing I can think of

(since my car has got auto tensioner) must be that the

tensioner is not firm enough, and therefore allowing the

belt to slip just enough to make it wear out sooner than intended.

I'll try to check if the tensioner is firm enough, and if not, maybe renew it

as i renew the belt.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links