Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina Gti Front Suspension Arm Problem

dgo_carina

dear forum,

Anyone have any advice re: GTi front suspension problem.

I have been told that the front suspension arm on my "new" Gti need replacing and that they are

A) Not standard

B) expensive

The problem is more audible than physical. When the "beast" trots over speed bumps a large thump can be heard across the front.

I had the bushes replaced at a cost of £115 & The suspension arms were heavily greased and this lasted a month but the unnerving clunk sound has returned. So it aint the bushes..GRRR £100 quid wasted.

Any tips on where to get a cheap replacements would be helpful.

My Gti Carina has the 3sge engine which has Yamaha on it.. (non technical carina driver here)... I just saw in Google that the same suspension might be in the older Celicas... any advice ?

Thanks again

David

i believe you have the superstrut suspension which was fitted to the ST-205 celica GTFour. there is a possibility that the lower arms and 'Figure 8' links will be the same but they arnt cheap to replace.

your local toyota dealer should be able to cross reference them for you

thanks dawesy,

I went back to google and used the st205 keywords and lo... below is a cut'n'paste which lists the same problem on my GTI Carina...

Drive off and start listening. The ST205 superstrut suspension is a superior and advanced design, but does suffer from one major problem. After approximately 60-80k miles, there are two main bushes that wear out on each side, though not usually together. They are at the chassis end of the front track-rod, and also on a figure-of-eight piece attaching this rod to the suspension strut. You can tell there is something wrong by the characterictic clunks over potholes/bumps etc - it is a deep, structural sort of clunk rather than something rattling.

Often it is more pronounced when turning sharply, and may be evident when first turning the wheel after the car has been parked for a while. This will cost over £500 per side to fix with parts from Toyota, though one of the guys in the GT4 Owner's Club UK does refurbish the parts for less.

Thanks again, Im off to call the dealers and a find the GT4 Owners club address.

BFN, D

Front Passenger suspension quest continues..

Any links / address & tel no.s of breakers who might have Toyota Carina GTi suspension bits..

looking for t48069-29185 & t48606-12190 .

I visited Toyota dealer... very nice, engineer liked our trusty carina and showed me the potential worn parts...

any help greatly appreciated.

D... PS. Celica Breakers / Owners also might help as ST205 is in them too.. so i hear.

• 1 month later...

This is a problem all the GTi's have sooner or later. It's not a question of IF but WHEN. The prblem is where the rear lower strut connects to the camber control arm (small arm). Here in the netherlands it cost me 900 euro's for both sides. I and my dutch fellow gti drivers are not aware of any non original replacement. :crybaby:

This is a problem all the GTi's have sooner or later. It's not a question of IF but WHEN. The prblem is where the rear lower strut connects to the camber control arm (small arm). Here in the netherlands it cost me 900 euro's for both sides. I and my dutch fellow gti drivers are not aware of any non original replacement. :crybaby:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links