Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

THE BEST TOYOTA CELICA

quodus

Which is the best all rounder  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best all rounder

• ST165
    • ST185
    • ST205

Yeah Daktari I gotta agree there... that early hit of boost and the whine of turbo spool is more than a little bit addictive... and about to be more so considering that the boost is about to hit 17lb as soon as the engine is back in after some mild internal changes!!! By the way does the ST185 (not Grp A or RC) come with forged pistons from the factory??

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GT4 BOOSTER

• daktari

• silvasurfa

• GT-Four NZ

daktari - 28 to 30 suits me my man , what do you get flogging it about 18 mpg ???

and can you tell me is the performance of the gen5 you have as good as a gt4 would be from new or is it lagging now ? sounds like its not :lol:

its just that i can now afford a gen 5 easily what are they like for reliabillity and parts seeing as they are getting on a bit now.suppose a low mileage import would be a good idea for me to consider. thanks anyways

Yeah must be around that. possibly less. I try to keep thrashes down to a couple of miles now and again. Got a feeling my gearbox aint gonna last much longer.

That`ll be the next upgrade... ST205 box much stronger. :D

Not sure about pistons NZ. :thumbsup:

the 3S-GTE pistons are not forged, though the 3rd gen (ie ST205 and late spec MR2 turbo are Hypereutectic. Still not as good as Proper forged, but a lot better than normal cast.

Just to clarify... as the engine is in bits and the boost is goin up once its been run in... forged pistons... or are the factory items good for the abuse that it will be coping as far as 17lb goes??

anyone shed some light on my last question please . :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Gen 5's are great cars and I find that mine (which is completely standard, but not for long) handles well, very predictable... They have a truckload of mid range torque but tend to trail off higher in the rev range. Parts??.... get real close to someone at Toyota... I work in a parts shop and are usually having to get specific parts for the 185's ex genuine but a lot is available aftermarket if you look hard enough. Expect the CT26 turbo to give up anywhere from 160-210km depending on its treatment. The clutch is a mission to get at... in fact most parts are positioned in not so practical places for your average mechanic. They are reliable cars that keep on goin... mine had done 205km and was not blowing any smoke but due to a headgasket blow out I decided that now was as good a time as any to get it overhauled. Its best to do it all at once (waterpump, timing etc) due to access. They are not esp quick for a 2.0l 4WD Turbo but they are solidly built and will take a fair bit of abuse.

:thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

:thumbsup: The best Celica has to be the very limited edition TRD sports M. This is a limited edition of 1200 made by the Toyota Racing Development team in 2000. It not only has complete body kit, colour coded Alcatara seats, leather steering wheel and gearknob, strengthened roof pillars and suspension pick up points, but has been lightened by using lighter valves, pistons etc, reprofiling the camshaft, removing the soundproofing, but delivers a total of 200bhp. It also has a six speed quickshift gearbox,l helical lsd, eliminating wheelspin. This car not only looks great but drives brilliantly. It also delivers 34miles to the gallon on average. I certainly think its beats any other Celica and will see a VVTi off any day!

Yes, but you would have to live with knowing that it has an ugly ar se and would still most likely get foddered by it's older brother (st205) on the twisties, and the straights, hehe :!Removed!: :unsure:

This has allready been decided.

there isnt a best celica... there are two celica's which share the podium. Carlos Sainz GT4 and RA28 gen 1 GT.

Oh, buggery!

Didnt look at the date, I swear it was at the top of the forum! :/ :(

Sorry chaps (but it's still true!) :D

speaking of which. There is a Carlos Sainz GT4 for sale on ebay right now. Very rare!

If it`s genuine. Quite a few fakes around. :yes:

If it`s this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Celica-GT4-Tu...1QQcmdZViewItem Then it looks genuine. Certificate n all. Needs work though and the mileage is a bit high. So could need a lot of work soon. :unsure:

I have to say ST205 as well, I love these cars and someday I will definitely get one! A guy in my town recently bought a black Sainz ST185, with a twin entry tubby, and she is a beauty. Would be tempted to buy it off him sometime cos he wants to sell it.

Easy MK1 Celica RA28 :D Its the Daddy of both celicas and performance toyotas.

Celica2000gt.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sorry for not including st202 and st183 considering they are variants of an ST185 and ST205 I didnt think it mattered too much - but hey obviosly it does - cant win em all

plus its me first poll so cut me some slack

and also i swear i set it to just a poll and not messages

:D

Whats the best Celica poll and its only GT4s!!!! LMAO :!Removed!: :lol: :ffs: ;) :thumbsup:

Whats the best Celica poll and its only GT4s!!!! LMAO :!Removed!: :lol: :ffs: ;) :thumbsup:

:lol: :P

get one then ;)

best celica of all time out of any of them? hmmmmm

i'd rather like a rally TA40 myself.

GEN2Rally.jpg

ST185. Because....

A. I got one.

B. It`s definately more pleasing to the eye.

C. I love `em. (Which prob counts the same as A but i got to justify it somehow) :D :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Same here bud... but change the

(A - I got one) to (A - I want one)

ST185. Because....

A. I got one.

B. It`s definately more pleasing to the eye.

C. I love `em. (Which prob counts the same as A but i got to justify it somehow) :D :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Same here bud... but change the

(A - I got one) to (A - I want one)

What an incredibly sensible chap you are :yes::lol::thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

have to go with the st205 in black,

reasons

looks super good

its powerful

4 wheel drive/handling spot on

u can mod it all round, body kits, alloys, engine mods, theres so much u can do

its got a turbo/a dump valve sounds great

• 4 weeks later...

Its obviously gotta be the ST205....

Although i do have an st185 as i think they look better, the st205 is better is every other departmant.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links