Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Sera Saturday

Paul_UK

:unsure: need :help:

Hi guys,

I'm off to check out a 1990 sera on saturday, 63k miles, apparently mint apart from a couple of chips in paint (prob spray it one day anyway). £1,500 12 month mot n 6 month tax.

Now...the thing is, im young...can afford the car and insurance though (i'm 18),

any pointers would be helpful ;) .

Oh btw its the turqoise/mica colour.

Nearly wet myself first time i saw one, hope they're as good as you guys say.

:thumbsup: Thanks :thumbsup:

Hey Paul.

Yeah Sera's are awesome. if you check out www.toyotasera.co.uk, you will see all the pointers you need to look out for on the car your buying.

Things like bad repairs, drive shafts beginning to break and whatever. Dont forget, you get what you pay for, and a Sera for less that 2k might possibly be a dooa upper which means buying some parts to make it perfect. But Andrew will be able to sort you out with pretty much anything you need for the car, from bulbs to bodykits.

Cos its got the 12 month ticket and the tax it is a bargain, but look at the site and check all the things it suggests. It helped me.

G :thumbsup:

i'm with Tesco's insureance (the only one which would touch me at first) I'm paying £1500 third party :(

but the sera is a great little car, i love mine to bits i will be getting some more performace into it when i can :D :D :D

Good luck mate

£1500!!! you've been robbed dude. And for third party only, my god.

I'm with direct line and paying about £550 fully comp.

But I am over 25. <_<

£1500!!! you've been robbed dude. And for third party only, my god.

I'm with direct line and paying about £550 fully comp.

But I am over 25. <_<

i was 20 driving less than a year when i took it out. i will be changing it a few months thank gof

:lol:

More money for mods :D

Paul,

first let me congratulate you on an excellent choice of car.

There are a few things to remember about the Sera.......the main one is that it's a 14 yr old second hand car. There are going to be problems, though how major remains to be seen.

check it out like any other car, even tyre wear, bits hanging off, aircon, oil etc.

Bodywork and glass are where expense really sets in, being totally unique to the car.

Take someone knowledgeable about cars with you and don't be dazzled by the doors...just treat it as a normal car. If you're in any doubt about it then walk away. There are good Sera#s out there if you're patient. Took me 8 months to get mine !

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Rich

doors that don't stay up, cloudy headlamps. look out for factory options like the slss sound system etc there's lots of info on toyotasera.co.uk – good luck

ps my insurance is £410 fully comp with tesco :D :P

doors that don't stay up, cloudy headlamps. look out for factory options like the slss sound system etc there's lots of info on toyotasera.co.uk – good luck

Good points Carl....these are common with Sera's, but not major problems......handy for haggling on the price though

Rich

Thanks guys, nice reponses' and all.

Going to see it a day this week hopefully (hmm sneak out of work me thinks).

Hopefully it'll still be there and it'll be in as good nick as he says, planning to start a project on this car (if i get it) and will start after i gathered enough cash for it.

Not too many performance mods at first though, you know what insurance is like...

In my plans to keep it a while (if purchased) so the car will be virtually be rebuilt by time of sale (if by some freak chance i do get rid of it).

Update on whether its still there wednesday afternoon after work, if i manage to get up to see it i'll update what its condition is. As for now....got work in 6 hours.

Thanks all, any further posting would be thankful (eg. availability of rare parts if damaged....andy the guy to see?)

if you're unsure of anything you see, don't buy it straight away.

Log on here and ask about what you've found.

you can always go back and buy it later !

Rich

Ok here goes,

arrived at garage and the car was looking to be ok. Windows and glass spotless, headlights needed t-cutting, started engine from cold...sounded nice, revved nice, decided to let it get warm to check the fluid levels.

Meanwhile checking appearances, passenger door strut needs replacing sometime soon in the future, rear window will need it too, although the drivers side was perfect <_< ...even worse the car had been resprayed and the laquer had run in recess' (door handles etc)...but i thought, 'well not too bad could fix that'.

Then started checking the trims, some fool had gued them on in a bodge job and they would definatly need replacing due to them nearly falling off again :eek: , glue everywhere too. All rubber seals intact too, shockers were fine, underneath was fine too, no perishing of rubbers.

Slipped it into gear (auto by the way), thing shuddered like a tank (would know, ex army :ph34r: ). Hmm...so decided to check brakes, drums on back due to older model and discs on front...prob was pads are just about gone, previousviewers had not even bothered with a test drive due to the rust still visible on disc.

Ok before the engine...time to check the lights.

now considering this car just passed an MOT the rear fog wasn't working at all, front drivers side sidelight wasn't working. Every other light was functioning, checked leccy windows, worked fine, checked leccy mirrors...not fine, no function at all not even with assistance of the finger variety.

Engine now suitably warm, time to go check those levels.

Brake fluid, engine oil, washer fluid, radiator all fine...now to check the transmission fluid... :eek: uh oh...it's brown and stinks of burnt auto clutch, well thats another gearbox then (was gonna stick starlet engine and gearbox in it in 2 years anyway but not this car now...).

Now...this car just passed an MOT with no problems listed on the sheet yet i know that uk cars need a functioning fog light at the rear, also the centre would have gave information on the transmission fluid...dodgy MOT dealer by chance?? hmmm..

This car was worth nowhere near 1500 of my hard earnt sterling, no probably only worth 700-750, the cars been abused bodywise...auto gearbox fluid has not been taken care of, fog light was dud.

Engine, rubbers, glass, exhaust, steering however were all fine though, recommended if you just want some parts cheap (like the glass and engine).

Not reccomended if you want a driveable car that isn't going to need a new gearbox in 2 months and a total overhaul of the outside, plus electrics sorted, and door rams...oh and no SLSS either.

:P Contact me if there's a decent sera for sale in UK for around £2000 (not starlet turbo'd tho), don't mind some work fixing on it, just not a new gearbox or anything of the like :P

:thumbsup: Thanks guys, i'll still be around as im still hunting for one! :thumbsup:

I will not be denied!

:D Yeh so tis a parts only motor im afraid

G8** PWR is reg, currently in rotheram, yorks... 01709 720707

Number of things wrong, dont pay too much for it (for the parts)

don't worry mate, there are good ones out there.

the safest option is if you find one that is known to the Sera owners register.....that way there's more than a good chance we'll know some history of the car, and maybe even the character of the previous owner.

Andrew (toyotasera.co.uk) has about 10 listed for sale on his site atm. worth contacting him, as he tends to know the history of every car he sells.

i got mine shipped over from Japan...it's a real good one, but still needed (needs) work doing to it. you'll never get perfection in a car that age, but you can come mighty close, if you're patient.

good luck with the search.

Rich

There is a nice on in Norfolk, but owner wants closer to 3k than 2. Its worth it though. £ 600 alloys and wheels recently. £ 400 HID headlamp kit and its a nice tidy one.

There is one in Bristol which sounds quite decent too.

Mail me... andrew@toyotasera.co.uk

:D One in bristol is looking good, gotta sort some finances out as he said 2.5k but accepting ffers to a good home well i'd plan to keep it for at least 5 years, and cars as rare as that shouldn ever be neglected makes me sad lol :crybaby:

Is he on the forums, might be able to offer notes if price is right...

Far away like but should be ok if price is a good un', also looks tip top.

May ask for some more piccys, as previously said don't mind doing some repairs. Just nt to know if price and car is right as it's a bit for to go for a test drive and no result. Derbyshire ---> Bristol, about half a country trip then :D

Sorry to hear about the old smiker dude. You will find one if not through Andrew, but even in the autotrader. I see them from time to time.

I got mine without even knowing about them. And that was nearly two years ago. You can see my motor on andrews site.

Ill keep you informed if I see any in Lancashire for you.

I'm considering getting one ive found near me, it too is a smoker and the bloke wants £995 for it. Again just worth for parts. Funny how they seem to pass MOT's when they are ****ters!

gonna offer him about £200-500

If I can get the cash!

G

Heh G, you're a star mate.

Yeh MOT was a lil dodgy weren't it, my dad wrote his nissan 200sx s14a off couple of weeks back so i've been ****** for getting round for lifts.

However...

He just rang about a new Lexus IS200 SE, so ya know might be able to get around to see a few now, if he gets it that is.

Craigs is lookin ok although id need some more time to gather cash for it.