Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help

Maxed Corolla GTI

A friend of mine has a Corolla Gti and was topping up his Motor Oil and he put too much in it! now when you check the dip stick it showed way too much then it should have. He doesnt know how to drain it out either himself.

He had a tiny trouble starting the car this morning. Is this going to seriously harm his engine? Or shall he jus drive as normal and it will be ok?

help is much appreciated...

I DON'T HAVE TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE, BUT I THINK TOO MUCH OIL MEANS INCREASED OIL PRESSURE, WHICH CAN FIND WEAKSPOT IN THE ENGINE, LIKE OILSEALS ETC. YOUR FRIEND NEEDS TO SORT IT.

A few ideas but this is from an ignorant person mind you.

they can syphon it out (bit messy).

Get a new oil seal and a bowl to catch it all, and find a friend who can change the oil for them.

or go to a mechanics and ask them if they can syphon it back out. they may say they only do oil changes.

there's other people who will be more helpful in here trust me.

BUT I DO KNOW NOT TO DRIVE IT!!!!

I would suggest to drain all the oil out, and pour the right amount back in, as if doing an oil change. You might need a new seal, and don't change the oi filter.

If your friend will keep on driving with too much oil, he could damage the engine badly. The engine might start burning oil during combustion, and therefore damaging seals.

As stated above, DO NOT DRIVE IT.

All he's got to do is undo the sump plug at the bottom of the engine. This is a very straight forward job. Tell him to drain a litre or so, put the plug back in, leave it for a few mins and then recheck the oil level. Keep doing this unitl it's within the correct range. It's better to take too much out than too little as he can always add some more again. :thumbsup:

yeah take some out , you'll drown the engine and f*** it up.dont even start it up.

yup, as said before, lay under the car and undo the 19mm (i think) nut in the center of the sump (there will be a nice access hole to it if he still has the splash guards installed) and just let some oil drain out.

When you say there is way too much oil, how much over the 'full' mark is it ? it shouldn't be over at all in an ideal world but if its no more than 10mm over that will just blow out the intake on tick over if the engine and gaskets are good and strong,(remove the airfilter) although its not recomended....

If he doesnt want to lay under the car with a socket, crank the oil filter loose and let it run out for a little while then do it back up again (hand tight only)

P.S you can't syphon the oil out, unless you can get something about as thin as a WD40 straw and as long as a skipping rope with a muppet silly enough to suck the stuff up LOL... you'd need to either go in down the dipstick hole direct to the sump or down though the cams LOFL....

You take two lengths of garden hose a plastic motor oil bottle,

seal 1 pipe from the engine to the neck of the bottle,

punch a whole in the opposite side and seal other length of hose to it then suck, This way the oil don't touch you mouth.

Still get the fumes though.

And if you use that amount of effort to put it together you'd know not to bother and go find the Damn plug underneath. :lol:

LOL....

But you'd never get a bit of pipe that wide into your sump, or anywhere near the oil reservoir....

Good to see Ray's site in your sig.... ;)

thanx guys for all your advice....sorry i didnt reply earlier its jus i dont have access to the internet much durin the week!

i spoke to him and he is still driving the car around and has had no problems with it. im not sure if it will mess up later or it will just run ok. The oil pressure gauge is normal 2, its not that high.

i told him to drain it out....but not sure if he will actually do it or not...!

Well, at least you told him. If he continues and it causes him long term damage do the following:

stand him next to his car with the bonnet up.

Look at the engine *tut

then look at him and smiling sympathetically.

repeat twice at least.

And when he gets annoyed and "What?!!!".

Say: "I told you so, TOC members told you so, but you chose to ignore an unbiased set of people, and now it's gonna cost ya"

*HIJACK*

Unity Jon - going to see Ray on Friday. It'll be a trek from brum, but if it can be done it'll be worth it. might start a thread about it to get some points of view on space issues *hijack over*

• 8 months later...

i also had this problem with our 1.6 gs, that we just thought, last week my brother poured 5 litres of oil into the engine cos i rang to to tell him to check oil level before he came to work up the m1, as mentioned on my other posts the enigine has been burning up alot of oil and black smoke, to cut a long story short , my dozy brother told our younger brother to go and top it up while he was gettin out of bed, then they drove foe 3 miles before people were hooting them cos there was big puffs of white smoke comin out of the exhaust, they drive another 3 miles home and leave the car. we get home and empty the whole oil out and top up with new oil, my dad let da engine run for about a hour before the smoke ran clear but it must have been missfiring cos wen he drove up to work today he said the engine sounded shaky and wantin to stall with loss of power whislt drivin, we check the spark plugs and the 2nd plug on driver side was very wet and oily, after cleaning the plug it ran better but the black smoke reappeared, does some1 know if there is major damage caused or a seal need replacin, i have booked to take car to a garage to inspect under warranty this monday and hope they can rectify this under warranty, but i will let u guys no if my claim is succesfull. thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links