Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheel Lock

underhood500

Didn't know too much about wheels or wheel locks when I bought my 91 mr2 with 17'' enkei's a year ago. Yesterday one of my tires came apart, and all the tire service centers say they need the wheel lock key or else they're gonna have to break my wheels to replace my tires. I tried calling the used car dealership I bought the car from but the guy said even the previous owner didn't have the wheel lock key. Any suggestion? Am I screwed?

• 4 weeks later...

This happened on my 1st car. Saying they will have to break the wheel is a load of bol***ks as long as the wheel nut is not the complete circular nut with a 'jigsaw piece' in the middle. If its these, maybe U R knackered, but there must B speciallist tools to remove these.

If the nut has bevels etc on its outside edge you can do it yourself. Hammer a smaller socket than the nut onto it and turn it to remove it. This may completely <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?> both the locking nut and 4 sockets but U will have your wheels off! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

A good tyre fitter would not need to take the wheel off to change a tyre. Unless you want it balancing.

You`ve got a few options. Bit dificult without a piccy.

1/ Hammer and chisel. Make sure you protect the wheel.(Works on 75% wheel locks i`ve encountered)

2/ Hammer a socket onto the wheel lock. Provided it`s not a rotating barrel device.

3/ Drill the lock out. if its a key type lock.

4/ Take it to an engineering firm that does spark eroding. Expensive, but cheaper than new wheels.

dont think tyre fitters change tyres without the wheel off somehow its just not the way its done.

in the end you need to be able to get the wheels off incase of a flat , so whack a socket on them and get turning , they come off pretty easily. :thumbsup:

There are actually socket sets (usually 4sockets in a set) to remove 'Locking' wheel nuts and can be used with air tools. They are available from most Motor Factors/ Tool outlets and available to anyone for £20 to £30. So I would hope that any decent tyre centre would have these.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links