Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Queries

SMW

A couple of queries please on a Nov 2002 (52 plate) Yaris 1.3 GLS 5 door manual - just minor things but worrying me !

1. When first pulling away from standing there is a slight 'clunk' from the engine - almost as if something isn't quite engaging - it only happens when first pulling away

2. The rear wiper arm only returns to about 75 % of it's rear travel when turned off - when it is next used the arm 'continues' it's downward sweep before starting the first 'up' journey (hope this makes sense - it's hard to describe in words !).

Anyway any light you can shed on these 2 points appreciated.

By the way new to this site - I also have an old Carina so expect a few more posts !

Re; Yaris Noise.

The noise you are hearing when pulling away is, the clutch release bearing, inside the bell housing of the gearbox. This bearing is virtually in contact with the clutch all the time. When you put your foot on the clutch pedal you are engaging the clutch release bearing, this sometimes makes that noise.

If in normal gear changing you don't hear the noise, this is ok. But if you hear it every time you pull away, then I would suggest you have it replaced, if under garranty.. If not under Garranty,......live with it, till it starts screeming its head off.

The rear wiper sounds like its not parking correctly. Same here. If its under garranty, have it replaced.

Re; Yaris Clunck.

Oh yes, the" clunck", get it checked out. Should be no cluncks....

1. Could be anything from clutch bearing ( as previously mentioned ) to things such as exhaust alignment or loose engine mount. get it checked out under warranty.

2. Have you had wiper arm changed recently? Suggest you remove arm from motor ( 1 nut ), run motor with arm off, then switch off motor ( leave ignition on ). Motor should then be in park position. Refit wiper arm in it's home position & retry.

If no good then it's either a rear wiper motor change or your park feed is in " open circuit". Both of these would be best sorted by your dealer.

Hope it helps.

:)

A couple of queries please on a Nov 2002 (52 plate) Yaris 1.3 GLS 5 door manual - just minor things but worrying me !

1. When first pulling away from standing there is a slight 'clunk' from the engine - almost as if something isn't quite engaging - it only happens when first pulling away

2. The rear wiper arm only returns to about 75 % of it's rear travel when turned off - when it is next used the arm 'continues' it's downward sweep before starting the first 'up' journey (hope this makes sense - it's hard to describe in words !).

Anyway any light you can shed on these 2 points appreciated.

By the way new to this site - I also have an old Carina so expect a few more posts !

The clunk is nothing to worry about... this should be in the manual... I cannot remember what this is called so you can look in the owners manual.... but it has been mentioned before but i cannot find it on the forums.

Many thanks for the responses so far.

In order to allow a more accurate diagnosis I should have mentioned something in my original post - this noise only happens the first time I pull away after the car has been rested i.e. it doesn't happen during journeys, pulling away from lights etc.

Also the word 'clunk' might have been a bit inappropiate - thinking about it it's more like a dull thump - it doesn't sound like 'metal on metal' / grinding / squelling etc. and is not particularly loud. A stranger might think that I have run over something like a small piece of wood when driving away to explain the noise.

As for the wiper I'll try the fix suggested - ta.

I shouldn't move it as suggested if I were you if it performs as you said. Because it won't stop it carrying on its stroke on the next stroke as you said, so it will fall off the screen! This would be caused by the shaft alignment or the motor stop limit position. If it's under guarantee then tell them to fix it! If not it would be easy enough, you just need to get at the motor.

Remember moving the wiper just moves the fault round you screen. It may stop in your newly set position but it will still carry on it's stroke as before!! So if your newly set position is at the edge of the screen, when it starts again it will continue off the end of the screen!!!

If the slight noise when pulling away only happens when first pulling off after starting up only then it sounds like the abs motor just priming itself. Cany remember the exact system used on the Yaris, but alot of the other models do it too but are much quieter now than they used to be. Anyone with a later Carina E or Avensis can try it, listen out for the noise when pulling off first time only, you can also try it by starting the car up on a hill & letting the handbrake off in neutral.

Thanks dub boy - your explanation is probably right and 'fits' with the type of noise I'm hearing.

Anyway my local friendly dealer is having the Yaris in shortly to check the noise and wiper problem - also got some trim come loose so that will be put right as well - still under warranty.

As a foot note the Yaris doesn't seem quite as 'bullet proof' as other Toyotas - I know it's an entry level car but my 9 year old Carina feels far more solid and well put together - sign of the times ?

SMW

you buy a cheap car and you get a cheap car obviously... Yaris has lowest number of real issues than any other car in the europe (i guess world too) right now... the fact that interior is cheap and doors light are just because yaris is a lot lower class car than carina itself was, for that price it will never sound as buletproof as carina...

remember, reason corolla/avenis/are more expensive than yaris is not because they are 15% longer, but because materials used are higher quality (perceived quality). only high level small car than I know of is Audi A2, and it is often more expensive than A3, hence nobody buys them

• 7 months later...

I'm a newbie here and I've only just found your post.

Did you ever get to find out what was causing the noise?

I get the same thing on my 52 CDX 1.3. According to my Toyota garage, they reckon it's the motor for the power steering starting up?!?

just on curiosity does it have air con???

cos the pump on that makes a thump noise aswell???

(even when its not on cos its still runnin from the aux belt???)

just a thought