Do Not Sell My Personal Information

An Aa Car Check.

qwertyuiop

Say I seen a car advertised, that is pretty far away - would you say getting an AA car check is worth it? Or would you say it's throwing money away? I don't think they are that expensive, and I'm thinking of maybe using this route. I've travelled before, only to find the owner of the car was full of lies and trying to make as speedy a deal as possible.

Yes they're good mainly for the mechanical side BUT when I had one done they didn't check certain electrical parts and I later found out that one of the wings had been badly repaired at some stage and they didn't tell me about that.

I had the "big" check done on my car before I bought it, and it turned up every single thing that was at fault with the car -right down to the fact that one of the bars in the rear windscreen heater element didn’t work.

The report was also quite helpful in negotiating a price afterwards as well :)

They also do VIN & chassis checks etc included so should give you some piece of mine, especially if your looking at an import :)

HTH :D

Before buying my 2 I went to look at a MKIII Golf VR6 Highline about an hour or so from where I live. The car looked OK TBH and I would have bought if it wasnt for the AA check. The AA report showed up everything wrong with the car, which panels had been resprayed, all the mechanical issues, all rust etc etc etc. Looking at what the car needed spending on it it wasnt worth the money so I walked away.

If I remember the report was about £200 so I was a bit agrieved at the time to have essentially spent £200 to go and look at a car - on the bright side I would have had a hefty repair bill come MOT time if I had bought it.

I didnt bother with a report on the 2 when I bought and drove 4 hours to view it with the cash - hoping it was as good as it looked! I didnt bother with one this time as the seller was highly reommended (Rash off here), he sent me loads of pics before I went to see it and it had stacks of history!!

Guess it depends on the car but i would be wary about paying for an AA report without looking at the car in person or getting someone nearby to look at instead as it could be nothing like the advert portrays it! If as you said the seller is full of lies you would only have to pay the petrol costs to get there to find this out instead of the costs of the AA report to tell you something you could have worked out for yourself - guess you need to weigh up the costs.

Just my 2pence - hope it helps...

Ed

I'm just weighing options really.

I totally agree with your point Cally, I suppose it's piece of mind if everything is okay.

StGeorge, you got the red T-bar, right?

I suppose another view you could look at is, Rash ensures quality anyway (judging from past buyers from him). This way I won't have to worry too much about chassis checks and HPi checks.

StGeorge, you got the red T-bar, right?

Yeah I bought a red T-Bar from Rash a few months back - really pleased with it, well worth the wait and very pleased I didnt buy the Golf :D

The only thing I will say is that although Rash does have a good reputation he was the first one to recommend an HPI check, even though he had done one he suggested I do one also - only 20 quid or so after all!!

Hope you find a good 'un

Rash has a second to none reputation on TOC. If I were to recommend anyone to buy from it would definately be him.

A mate had an inspection .. thy listed a few dents and scrapes.

The Turbo blew up a week later. The AA said sorry and gave him his £25 back .. yeah, great.

Hi Guys - Thanks for the kind comments^^^^ ;)

I just sold my STi-5 Yesterday to a chap from London who got an AA check on it.

The AA chap came yesterday and was here for around 2 hours and to be fair - did check EVERYTHING on it (Body Panels/Electrics/Engine + test drive)

But didnt tell me anything i didnt already know about the car. Personally i think if you have a good knowledge of cars yourself - I wouldnt bother with the AA check - On the other hand if u havent got a clue about them much - then Yes Definately have one done as the check could stop you from buying a right DOG..!

and £200 is nothing if u get stung with a dog of a car that is standing you @ £0000's

The chap that bought my car had 6 Impreza's checked over the last couple of months and in his mind he wasnt bothered because most of them were like 200 miles away so he would have lost half of that in fuel to view the cars anyway...!

Rash.