Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'91 Gt ..rebuilt Or Give Her Up? 406,000 Km

LisaJ

Hi all..I'm a newbie...please be kind (and honest):)..I have owned my car for 11 years and love it..it has gone places(gravel roads..fields..etc) where a Celica should have never been and the body is still in great shape.In that time my only major repair has been a clutch and struts..in the last year it has been leaking oil and I have had all the seals replaced...the past week I had the rear seal done and after that I thought I was home free..but alas..I'm now getting blue smoke from the exhaust..is this the end?I just spent close to $2000 for all of this..well a new alternator,a cv boot..and a couple little things(hey..things wear out after 12 years :)).Anyways I'm torn between getting a rebuilt or just finally giving her up.What do you all think?..Thanks in advance. :)

Hey LisaJ, welcome to wherever you are.

Where you at? USA or Canada methinks.

You obviously know how good the Celica is. 12 years and still kicking.

They will last a lot longer than that if looked after.

Mine is a 1991 GT in white and is still cruising smoothly after 165,000 miles.

I had the alternator and exhaust replaced a year ago and the clutch replaced last month and now need a power steering belt and it will be 100% perfect again.

I don't exactly know what the blue smoke is but it should be worth taking it to a trusted mechanic and getting a proper diagnosis.

This generation of Celica is a great car, if can keep it running I would recommend it for sure.

If, however you do decided to buy another car lets hope it's still a Celica.

While I remember, go to the General Discussion forum and check out the Celica our man Rhaines has posted pictures of under the heading scots '73 celica. It is a real beauty. Make 12 years old look like a baby.

Hi Gordypix...we have the same car.....mine is also white :D .And yes I am in Canada..on the prairies where the winter gets wicked,but the GT held up to everything Mother Nature could throw at it.I had YJ(TJ in US?) before and I tell you I felt safer on our icy roads in the car than in the jeep.I'm glad to hear your celica is running fine and I'm sure you will get many more years out of it.I hit the 180,000 mark(300,000km) about 5 years ago and I remember stopping on the highway,getting out..and patting my car on the hood.And she's been good ever since...But definitely I will be going next week and getting the smoke checked out..I really wanted to hit the half million km(320,000 m) and hopefully this is not too serious because I really really like my car(fingers crossed) :( .Thanks for the link and the post...I posted yesterday because I was in minor shock and guess I was just looking for support..lol..Have a good Easter..Lisa

Hi lisa, if it has blue smoke all the time whilst driving,then it is more than likely piston rings worn,but if it only smokes when you first start up or when pulling away from junctions or changing down through the gears then it would be valve guide oil seals. hope this helps. :)

Hi Celicaste..that helps immensely..I changed to a high mileage oil yesterday..took it out for a test drive..it blew blue for a little.Then I took it to a valley near here and kept going driving up and down the hills(roughly 3/4 mile up).Each climb there was less and less..then today I took it back and like you mentioned it only puffed some blue while leaving a junction and changing down in gears..and when I returned to town there was very little blue exhaust.Thankyou..now when I return to my dealer I will be more informed on what to say and expect.You people are great here :).Have a great Good Friday! :D

Hi LisaJ.

Now that's what we are talking about. A Celica can take it all and more. I still watch people rallying this generation of Celica on Television usually through the rough forests of Wales. These Celica's are Pure style and pure workhorses.

Let us know how you get on with the blue smoke.

Cheerio for now.