Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

More Help Needed

Maxed Corolla GTI

hi guys...i got another problem but this time its to do with my motor...and your advice will be taken on board!!

My car is due a service so what ever the problem is I will like to get it sorted at the same time i get the service.

Basically the problem im having is that when the car is not started for a while, a while i only mean by around 12 hours or more. I seem to get trouble with starting the engine. Sometimes im there turning the key in the ignition for ages until it eventually starts up properly! This does not always happen though which is bizare. Sometimes when the car does start up 1st time as normal, as i get out of my drive and stick it in 1st gear the car jerks violently and feels like its gona stall out on me even though i have my foot on the accelerator. Eventually it picks up and then everything is perfect again with the car.

This only happens when the car is cold. like i said the car is due a service, which wil be done in next couple weeks. The sparks are around a year old so they will be changed. When i had checked the oil it what 3/4 full so that was ok. I have Magnecor leads, the rotor arm and distributor cap was only changed around 6 months ago. My Air induction kit was a bit dirty though... could that be it???

Car was running perfect for ages until one morning this had happened...now its happenin more often. Do you guys have any idea what the problem could be?

thanks

I'd check the fuel filter first. When was the last time it was changed? If you've run it real low on fuel at some point then the engine may have sucked up some crud from the bottom of the tank.

Alternativly it could be the ignition coil. Mine died about 6 months ago. It started out as an intermitent fault then got worse and worse. Next time it doesn't start try spraying some WD-40 all over it and the inside of the coil lead that goes to the dizzy. If that makes a difference then that'll be what it is!! :thumbsup:

fuel filter was changed 2 yrs ago...i have ran the car low on petrol on a few occasions...could this cause it? does it need to be changed? that can be done with the service...

also another thing i forgot to mention is that, sometimes when i try to start my car i will turn the key in the ignition and nothin will happen for about 5 seconds....then the car will start up. Why isnt it startin up on turn of the key? could the problems be related??

Hey dudes, my rolla does the juddering violently when cold thing and I,ve run on low fuel, but i havent had any problems with starting.you reckon it could be my filter doin the same thing? Been worried about it cos im taking it across europe in october and didnt want it dyin on me then. Is it easy to change the filter or would you recomend taking it to a garage?

fuel filter was changed 2 yrs ago...i have ran the car low on petrol on a few occasions...could this cause it? does it need to be changed? that can be done with the service...

also another thing i forgot to mention is that, sometimes when i try to start my car i will turn the key in the ignition and nothin will happen for about 5 seconds....then the car will start up. Why isnt it startin up on turn of the key? could the problems be related??

Fuel filter should be changed about every 24,000 miles or two years. So that might be your problem especially if the pump has picked up any nasty stuff from the bottom of the tank when you ran it low.

Judging by that, I'd say it's an electrical problem. Something to do with the ignition system.

Probably the coil or dizzy/dizzy cap!!

my ditributor cap was only changed around 6 months ago along with the rotor arm. the thing is the problem doesnt happen all the time and the mechanic cant really do anything unless it happens in front of him.

Im going to change the fuel filter in this service and clean out my green induction kit that i have. Also my cambelt is due a change. Could that cause anything. How much does it cost to change the cambelt in these cars?

my ditributor cap was only changed around 6 months ago along with the rotor arm. the thing is the problem doesnt happen all the time and the mechanic cant really do anything unless it happens in front of him.

Im going to change the fuel filter in this service and clean out my green induction kit that i have. Also my cambelt is due a change. Could that cause anything. How much does it cost to change the cambelt in these cars?

It's unlikely to be the cap then.

Fuel filters don't cost much either. May be worth getting a more free flowing one from Deamon Tweeks or something?!!

Cambelt's don't cost much, unless you go for a Toyota one (£60ish). Not worth it though, you may as well get a cheap alternative cos if it does snap it won't screw the engine as it's a non-interference engine. That wouldn't cause the probs your having though. My gut feeling is still something electric. i.e coil or leads or plugs. Most likely the coil. See if you can get a second hand cheap coil. I tried that when mine was hesitating and that sorted the problem!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links