Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Management Light On

celticmick

took car to dealer and they reckon its an oxygen sensor in the engine,

had a new sensor fitted 2 miles down the road and the light comes on again,

back in , another sensor fitted , 2 mile down road light back on again, waiting on dealer getting back to me to see what they`ll do now? warranty up in a month, time to panic? :ffs: :crybaby:

was thinking of extending the warranty and keeping the car but dont know wether to punt it and opt for somthin else incase this is the start of the troubles with it.

anyone have any similar probs?

• 6 months later...

back in , another sensor fitted , 2 mile down road light back on again, waiting on dealer getting back to me to see what they`ll do now? warranty up in a month, time to panic? :ffs:  :crybaby:

was thinking of extending the warranty and keeping the car but dont know wether to punt it and opt for somthin else incase this is the start of the troubles with it.

I have a 2001 Corolla, and had the O2 sensor replaced at 10,000 miles under warranty. Now at 20,000 miles, not under warranty, they're saying it needs replacing again. Even though it failed less than two years after replacement, I have to stump up £155.

I'm thinking of taking them to the small claims court under the "Sale of Goods Act" - do I have a case?

Thanks, Roger

back in , another sensor fitted , 2 mile down road light back on again, waiting on dealer getting back to me to see what they`ll do now? warranty up in a month, time to panic? :ffs:  :crybaby:

I have a 2001 Corolla, and had the O2 sensor replaced at 10,000 miles under warranty. Now at 20,000 miles, not under warranty, they're saying it needs replacing again. Even though it failed less than two years after replacement, I have to stump up £155.

I'm thinking of taking them to the small claims court under the "Sale of Goods Act" - do I have a case?

Thanks, Roger

Hi

I had a similar problem with my 2001 Avensis last year. The engine required a decoke before the problem was solved and the engine management system software was also upgraded. All covered by the warranty thankfully. Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Tim

My engine management light comes on fairly regularly but only when going up long hills. Luckily local dealer happy to keep turning it off free of charge. Diagnostics show a fuel starvation problem. Dealer reckoned I needed a new Oxygen sensor. However I reckon the sensor is only showing a sympton of the problem and is not the cause as sensor is showing as fine under normal conditions.

Dealer wants the car in for 2 hours to run through the diagnostic check list but is not confident he will find a solution and cannot guaratee to cure the problem but will obviously charge me for anything he does change. This doesn't sound fare to me.

I've looked into the engine software upgrade option but apparently my engine doesn't have a software upgrade.

I am currently trying a decoking additive in the petrol to see if this will help.

yess this a common problem on the avensis , although the sensors normaly have ~150k miles life. if u buy a new 1 u should get a standard 1yr warranty with it.

:)

O2 sensor errors on the OBDs are not always the O2 sensor itself. Basically, when the sensor output locks at certain position for too long, let's say too lean or too rich for a certain period of time, then the ECU thinks it is the error. However, fuel starvation caused by faulty fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator or blocked injectors for instance, this can still trigger O2 sensor error as engine will run lean.

As for the ECU upgrade, as far as I know, I don't think there is a software update.

What I would suggest is have the fuel pressure measured before replacing anything. Hope it gets sorted soon. :thumbsup:

O2 sensor errors on the OBDs are not always the O2 sensor itself.  Basically, when the sensor output locks at certain position for too long, let's say too lean or too rich for a certain period of time, then the ECU thinks it is the error.  However, fuel starvation caused by faulty fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator or blocked injectors for instance, this can still trigger O2 sensor error as engine will run lean.

As for the ECU upgrade, as far as I know, I don't think there is a software update. 

What I would suggest is have the fuel pressure measured before replacing anything.  Hope it gets sorted soon. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the information - when the light is on the car sometimes experiences hesitation, and I have to jiggle the accelerator a bit, so maybe more investigation is needed.

Of course for the Toyota dealer, it's simpler to just replace the sensor again, as it's out of warranty

Thanks, Roger

• 1 month later...

The engine management light on my Avensis 1.8VVTi started coming on very regularly so I decided that it was a good time to take the car to the dealer. Every time I took the car in they told me that the lambda sensor had triggered due to engine being starved of fuel. They have previously tried to get me to change the lambda sensor but I had resisted. Finally they went through the Toyota checklist and found that the air flow sensor was measuring too high a resistance. On further investigation they discovered that the the sensor was covered in dirt. After cleaning it, it measured spot on nominal. The car was returned to me with a labour charge of 0.5 hour and it has been great ever since.

So far I am very pleased with the service from Inchcape Toyota in Basingstoke but I hope I have had all of my problems now and so I will never have to visit them again. I like my car a lot but I am a bit dissapointed with the number of little faults.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear! My engine management light is on again. It wasn't the air flow sensor after all. I have finally agreed to change the lambda sensor on bank 2. Apparently the sensor can become covered in soot and then not work properly. Bank 2 is cylinders 3 and 4 and it is usually cylinder 4 that causes the oil consumption problem with so many. I use about 1 litre of oil per 3-4000 miles. I hope this does not mean that my oil problems are about to start.

After eliminating all of the other potential causes of the engine running too lean fault code, it is either the lambda sensor or the ECU. I really hope it is not the ECU.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the lambda sensor changed now. Two days afterwards the engine management light is back on.

The garage has been through the checklist and everything else checks out - the other engine sensors and the fuel pressure are OK. The next thing is the ECU!

The engine runs fine but I do get some pinking when it is under load. The engine management light only comes on when I am going up hill, so it is under heavy load, and this is when the pinking mostly happens. There is therefore something wrong.

Can anybody make some suggestions as what to try next? I really do want to be sure it is the ECU before changing it.

• 2 months later...
I've had the lambda sensor changed now. Two days afterwards the engine management light is back on.

The garage has been through the checklist and everything else checks out - the other engine sensors and the fuel pressure are OK. The next thing is the ECU!

The engine runs fine but I do get some pinking when it is under load. The engine management light only comes on when I am going up hill, so it is under heavy load, and this is when the pinking mostly happens. There is therefore something wrong.

Can anybody make some suggestions as what to try next? I really do want to be sure it is the ECU before changing it.

My ECU light is always on although the car seems to run fine.I have been told it may be the catalytic converter,but i've not had this checked yet.Would like to know how you get on.

Hi Axle42

I've given up trying to find a solution to my problem.

I'm not spending any more money on the car.

Whilst the engine runs OK the garage has said that it is probably not worth changing the ECU as it wouldn't guarantee to fix the problem. I have heard that changing the cat can cure the problem but it's a lot of money and I don't suppose the garage will guarantee that it will cure the problem.

My oil consumption is getting higher (1 litre of oil per 2000 miles) but the car is going to be 5 years old this month so I won't qualify for a new engine under the guarantee.

Whilst it runs OK and is very quiet and does 40mpg without trouble, which is pretty much all I can ask of it, I am very disappointed in the reliability of the car and I am going to trade it in before Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

i had the problem the other week,with the warning lights coming on and the VCS turning off,but after reseting the trip computer they turned off,was told it was caused by not tripping the computer correctly. :cacker:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have the same problem on my x reg avensis 1.8 vvti. Two questions, 1. Where is the o2 sensor and how easy is it to change myself? 2. Where is the lambda sensor and again how easy is it to change this? Car just sailed thru MOT so i would think that if it was a Cat problem it would have failed on the emission. Could this be right or can the emissions still be ok with a knackered cat? Ecu was changed less than 2 years ago so hopefully it wont be that. Any help whatsoever would be much appreciated. Have also found out that by just pulling the efi 15amp fuse and putting it back in clears the problem, even if its only temporary.

Many thanks

Going by the description in your sig you have a 1ZZ with the large double maniverter hanging off the back of the engine. When the engine bay is nice and cold lean right over the engine and you'll see the maniverter and heat shield sticking out of the back. There's two sensors sticking out the top. These are the 02 sensors. Just a case of getting them out and back in again. (probably need a big open ended spanner but that's about it

Going by the description in your sig you have a 1ZZ with the large double maniverter hanging off the back of the engine. When the engine bay is nice and cold lean right over the engine and you'll see the maniverter and heat shield sticking out of the back. There's two sensors sticking out the top. These are the 02 sensors. Just a case of getting them out and back in again. (probably need a big open ended spanner but that's about it

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. I know where the heatshield is, but what is the maniverter? And where exactly is it? I have not seen 2 sensors in that area. Do I need to remove the heatshield? The heatshield has 1 attachment on it, is this the O2 sensor. Also in reply to an earlier post, how do you reset the trip correctly? Again many thanks for any help/advice given, its very much appreciated.

The maniverters the combined manifold and catalytic convertor. Should only be the 02 sensor going into that so whould be easy to find. Can't remember how easy it is to acces the hex on the sensor to get a spanner on with the heat shield in place so you might need to take it off

The maniverters the combined manifold and catalytic convertor. Should only be the 02 sensor going into that so whould be easy to find. Can't remember how easy it is to acces the hex on the sensor to get a spanner on with the heat shield in place so you might need to take it off

Hi thanks again for your reply. Bit the bullet and went to toyota dealer. They ran the diagnostics and decided that I need to change the air mass meter which is on the air filter housing. Says that there isnt anything wrong with the O2 sensors. So heres hoping that the air meter fixes the problem. Will find out tomorrow when I get the new part and fit it. Will let you all know how I get on.

Cheers for now

• 3 weeks later...

Replacing the air mass meter has fingers crossed sorted this problem out. £90 for it matchbox sized sensor tho. :blink: again thanks for all your help

thats a cheap maf but have a look at www.bba-reman.com :hokus-pokus: electrical cleaner on the sensor is only a short term fix the pinking is interesting i always use comma fuel injection cleaner try it :yes:

Hi Paulas

What engine is yours, the leanburn 7A-FE or the newer VVTi model?

Pinking is pre-ignition and not a good thing, wether the engine appears to be otherwise running well or not. This is the fuel air mixture being ignited before it should be and can damaged valve seats and all sorts of similar things.

My 2.0 3S-FE Rav 4 is pinking, but not throwing a check engine lamp. I've been running it on 97RON petrol (super) rather than standard and it has improved it. I'm hoping something will show up soon, cause my fuel consumption is increasing. I used to average 30 to 32 now I can't even reach 30mpg!

And for those who mentioned it, why would resetting the trip incorrectly cause management lamps to come on? Come on, that's never right!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links