Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Used 4wd Hiace Super Custom Vs Coach

Doug Miller

I'm struggling to know the precise difference between the Hiace Super Custom and the Coach as I shop online (www.japanesevehicles.com) to find a replacement for our '92 VW Caravelle Syncro, as many published accessories are about the same. In fact, one Coach comes with a sunroof while a Super Custom does not. It seems the Super Custom has curtains but the Coach does not. Is it also that the Coach does not have the rotating middle seat?

Which would you recommend of these options: '95 3.0 non turbo diesel 4WD MT Coach with 113,000 km in "excellent" condition, or a '93 2.8 also non turbo diesel 4WD MT Super Custom with only 74,000 km also in "excellent" condition?

Any thoughts about a body mounted tow bar?

:help:

Thanks in advance for your advice!

My super custom limited has three, a tilt above the driver, power slide in the middle huge, risk of kids being sucked out :huh: and a powered tilt at the rear.

Mine has hot cold box, coffee pot rotating seats, etc, i have mine facing in all the time loads of room then.

Economy not good, but mine is a turbo, goes like stink.

Your choice, can't you find one already landed?

Have a look in yahoo groups we are the super custom anoraks :thumbsup:

Simon,

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if the coach also has the rotating seats? No doubt you recommend the Super Custom, eh? And Ltd? What year is yours? I live in Malawi, Africa and would have to import from Japan through Durban? Do you know if it's possible to find Super Customs already landed? Would the 3.0 non turbo diesel get considerably better fuel consumption? Would it have enough power for a family of 7 plus a trailer? Do you have any other advice?

Thanks,

Doug :)

Hi Doug

I can't answere too many of ya questions as I have not seen the coach model you talk of, is this a minibus with the fixed seat design?

I like mine for sure it is very powerful but not without it's niggles, I would have the rad flushed for sure then make sure the heater gets well hot, if not you have airlock, if you do it will kill the head in very very short order, I know it did mine :crybaby:.

If you are towing long distances get the turbo and an electric fan too, that way power to spare, the non turbo ones seem to be ok, a few of the guys in our yahoo group have them and are more than happy.

Good luck eh?

PS don't touch the 2.4.

Hi there,

To answer your question the Super Custom and the Coach are the same vehicle- basically "coach" is the term for people carriers in Japan. The 2 diferent models for the coach are Super Custom or Living Saloon. Basically, the spec levels differ from vehicle to vehicle ie some have roofs, some have electric curtains etc etc

The engine to go for is the 3.0 t/diesel, avoid the 2.4 diesel which they stoped making in 93.

By the way I'm actually in Japan at the moment buying vehicles so if you've got any more questions I'll be checking back here.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Smiles,

Do you know if there are any part time 4WD (chassis number LH109 or LH119) Super Customs available that are non turbo 3.0 diesel in excellent condition?

Do have any advice about turbo vs. non-turbo? We live in the "warm" heart of Africa and most of our friends advise against the turbo because of the risk of failing and the high cost of repair.

Thanks,

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Doug,

The 3.0 diesel is only available as a turbo and I'm not even aware that a 4 wheel drive version was available, if your wanting a 4 wheel drive people carrier you could consider the Toyota Estima which was available as a 4x4 or you may want to consider the Mitsubishi Delica which is a people carrier based on the Shogun/Pajero platform.

By the way do you know of anyone importing from Japan in South Africa? Nothing personnel but the Dealers I've spoken to won't import into SA as they've had a few bad experiences getting payment. As I say this isn't aimed at you its just what I've heard.

Good luck

Thanks Smiles,

Do you know if there are any part time 4WD (chassis number LH109 or LH119) Super Customs available that are non turbo 3.0 diesel in excellent condition? 

Do have any advice about turbo vs. non-turbo?  We live in the "warm" heart of Africa and most of our friends advise against the turbo because of the risk of failing and the high cost of repair.

Thanks,

Doug

• 2 months later...

:rolleyes: DOUG,

I OWN A SUPER CUSTOM 3.0 EFI TURBO DIESEL LIVING SALOON.IT HAS 3 SUN- ROOFS AND YES.PERMANENT 4WD.PERSONALLY I WOULD N'T RECOMMEND THE DELICA.I'VE JUST SOLD ONE.(FUEL CONSUMPTION WAS 18-20 MPG!).

REGARDS

MI-DADquote=smiles,Nov 13 2004, 08:13 PM]

Doug,

The 3.0 diesel is only available as a turbo and I'm not even aware that a 4 wheel drive version was available, if your wanting a 4 wheel drive people carrier you could consider the Toyota Estima which was available as a 4x4 or you may want to consider the Mitsubishi Delica which is a people carrier based on the Shogun/Pajero platform.

By the way do you know of anyone importing from Japan in South Africa? Nothing personnel but the Dealers I've spoken to won't import into SA as they've had a few bad experiences getting payment. As I say this isn't aimed at you its just what I've heard.

Good luck

Thanks Smiles,

Do have any advice about turbo vs. non-turbo?  We live in the "warm" heart of Africa and most of our friends advise against the turbo because of the risk of failing and the high cost of repair.

Thanks,

Doug