Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Avensis Owner

maverick11

Hello All,

My name is Patrick and I have just bought a 2001 Y reg Avensis 1.8GS VVTi.

Since driving it I have noticed that the brakes are very spongy, I have read your other posts and tried the suggestions, but no joy. The other problems I have noticed are that the fuel gauge takes about 1.5 miles before it reads correctly and when I turn the steering wheel I hear a clunk and some squeaking.

Can any one help? I changed to a Toyota because the mechanic I use recommended Toyota's. Apart from these problems the car is great, it's definately more economical the my 93 L Mondeo.

Best Regards

Patrick

PS the car is just out of Toyota warranty, but has a 1 year parts and labour warranty from the garage I bought it from.

Hi

I have a 2001 avensis (D4D CDX). My brakes are spongy compared to other cars but they seem to work ok and i have now got used to them, Regarding your steering, read this thread - http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7041 just done mine (easy 1/2 hour job)

Cheers for the help. I am not that mechanically minded though.

Has anyone come across the other problem I described concering the fuel gauge?

Best Regards

Patrick

:D

Problems with spongy brakes on the Avensis 1998 - 2002 is caused by not changing the Brake Fluid. The required service period on the Brake Fluid is Every Two Years or Fourty Thousand Miles whichever comes first

:(

Problems with a Knocking Streering Rack and Column on the 1998 - 2002 Avensis. This is a common manufacturers fault on the Avensis. Toyota Used the Wrong Material in making the Racks and Columns. The Rack makes a Buzzing noise when you turn it (only when the car is hot), the column knocks when you brake or steer. If the Problem is diagonised before the waranty expires then you are a lucky person, after that the minum cost will be £400 privately and upto £2000 using a Toyota Dealer.

:D

Maverick11

Contact me I've got a great solution for you on your Toyota which I can not write on the internet. This will Save you Money and Sort your Problem. you shouldn't have to pay for what you didn't break.

The fuel gauge is just sticky, that happens to the temperature gauge too. It gets sticky especially on cold days.

The fuel gauges are normal slow reaction gauges to prevent wavering when cornering!

They are normally set into a gel like substance to keep them stable.

It is quite normal for the gauge not to reach it's true reading for a while. I just use my RANGE function until it settles ( after 10-15 mins).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have taken my Avensis to my local toyota garage and they had looked at the brakes, steering and fuel gauge. They claimed to have fixed the fuel guage, but haven't and have said the steering and brakes are fine. The brakes seem a bit better, so I assume they have bled them, but the steering still groans when turned and knocks every quarter of a turn. They are going to have another look on Friday. All this is under warranty.

I do however have another question can anyone tell me if my model of avensis should have 1 or 2 blanking plates in the front bumper where the spotlights go. As mine only has one on the drivers side.

Best Regards

Patrick

I do however have another question can anyone tell me if my model of avensis should have 1 or 2 blanking plates in the front bumper where the spotlights go. As mine only has one on the drivers side.

Are you sure the blanking plate isn't covering the hole intended for the towing hook?

Mine has only got 1 on the O/S, I think the N/S is the air intake for the airfilter

on the ones we have in our car park at work the diesel has 1 the petrol 2. could it be the intake for the turbo?

Mine is a 1.8 petrol, so should it have 2?

If so are they expensive and easy to fit?

Best Regards

Patrick