Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlights

nansus

Other than changing the unit, does anybody have a cure for condensation inside the headlight of an avensis (2004)

nansus

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris Dance

• Chris Be

• drdanny

• moonstone mart

Nansus,

I have recently had test drives of Avensis T4's at local Toyota dealers. Both demonstrator cars had condensation in the front offside headlight lens. Salesman 1 said that it was because their cars were parked overnight in a very exposed location. Salesman 2 said it was because they jet wash the car before a test drive. Either way, moisture should not get into a headlight on a new car, full stop.

Any water vapour inside the headlamp unit will damage the coating on the reflector and cause a fall-off of lighting efficiency.

Please take your car back to a dealer and have them replace the unit under warranty. That way, when I take back the car I bought from dealer 2 and insist on replacement headlamp unit, someone at Toyota UK will already know that there is a problem here!

It has to have been a powerwash.. I had it when I collected my 99 avensis but it soon went away and hasn't come back. If someone is too enthusiastic with a washer it'll get past any seals..

I have the same problem with my 2004 Avensis 1.8 Wagon. After powerwashing the car I have noticed a lot of condensation inside the right headlight. The dealer said they have to check the fault reports from Toyota, because it might be a factory mount problem of the glass. I'll be back to the dealership next week to get an answer, and I'll tell you the outcome.

Mauro

:thumbsup: Latest update

I contacted main dealer who suggested changing "BULB".

Didn't follow this up but, I did notice that the assembly was fairly airtight so,I drove the car for a day with no rubber cup around bulb to allow hot air circulate inside .

This dried out the condensation and, it hasn't returned since.

The dealership said this is a known problem for the RIGHT headlamp of the new Avensis: They will replace it under warranty and I'm really satisfied for their prompt availability!

Hope this helps.

Mauro

• 3 weeks later...

I have a "03" registered Avensis T-Spirit and I too have had trouble with condensation in the headlight units. Mine were fine until a bulb blew. The local dealer fitted me a new bulb and then all hell broke loose. I ended up having a complete new unit under warranty. Then guess what; about a month later the other bulb went. This time the dealer managed to remove the condensation that had built up overnight. It seem that once you break the factory seal, then condensation gets in quite easily.

After reporting condensation, my dealer said that they put in a new headlamp unit, but this also shows condensation. Is there something fundamentally wrong with the seals?

• 1 year later...

I have 53 Avensis T4. Both fog lights have been changed several times for condensation under warranty. Today I find the left hand side HEADLIGHT has moisture in it. I have not been to the dealer yet. The dealership has just changed hands the second time in just over two years!!!

Having read all the comments on this site I am undecided as to leave it and see if it goes away with headlight use or warm weather or get it changed in case of any future problems. Any useful comments would be welcome.

I have seen condensation in both L & R headlight. It comes and goes depending on the waether. I have taken photos of it but have not yet claimed warranty for it.

Rather than taking the car to the dealer for everey little niggle that should be covered by warranty, I just document it and put it on my list of problems.

When time comes just before the warranty expires, I will take my list of complaints and go to the dealer for remedy.

The biggest fundamental problem here is that the headlamps are sealed units.

Sealed lamps of any sort never go down well in a british climate.

Sorry to say this, but it will help those who aren't covered under warranty; the best option is to drill a little hole, say 1 - 2mm in the bottom of the lamp. You won't have a problem again.

After reporting condensation, my dealer said that they put in a new headlamp unit, but this also shows condensation.  Is there something fundamentally wrong with the seals?

I to have had the headlamps replaced under warranty. The passenger side twice. The condensation appeared back last week on the very next dayafter having them fitted. Obviously Mr Toyota doesn't have modified ones yet. I also had to wait over a aweek for them to arrive in stock.

I give up with them now and will be changing the car hopefully in september.

I too have the same problem on a 2004 avensis but i also did on a 05 yaris loan car and on a fiat punto, rover 216 and rover 25 so has said i put it down to the good old british wet warm weather.

Thanks for your comments. My car is still under warranty so I could get the headlamp changed. I am leaving it for now but will take it up with the dealer before the warranty expires. It appears that even if I do have it changed the condensation may occur again in the new light. This happened when I had the fog lights changed several times. Touch wood the fog lights are OK at the moment. Drilling a small hole in the headlight may be a good idea in the end.

Hi everyone.

INFO for all of you.

There is a problem with the headligths of the Avensis from 2003 (my car) to 2004 (some early units)the headlight is all ade off plastic and it melts, what you see that seems moist is really smoke from the melting plastic.

Go to you dealer an complain, because they will only change you the headlights if they have "moist".

The new headlights back side is all metal an no plastic, i had to change both headlights

Good luck to you all

• 2 weeks later...

The condensation in the passenger side headlight on my 53 Avensis is getting worse. I took it to the dealer who has recently taken over the garage. (Some staff have changed). I had a job to get the service chap out of his chair to look at it. He did look at it but accused me of pressure washing the car. I have never pressure washed it. Then he said this was not a known problem and thay had never changed a headlight for this problem. (I referred him to this web site.) After a slightly heated "POW POW" he agreed to change the headlight under warranty and has agreed to have the car collected from my home on 11th Jan. I will let you know how things go.

I did point out to him that the drivers side headlight was OK so even if the car had been pressure washed why hadn't the drivers side shown signs of condensation as well.

I had the passenger side headlight changed today at the Toyata dealers because of the condensation problem. The chap who delivered the car back to me said the NEW type headlight had only been available in UK for 5 weeks. The new one should not get condensation. The only thing to remember is that the existing plastic cover does not fit the new headlight. They have put a modified cover on back order for me. The chap said the new headlights had been available abroad for some time. UK are the last to get them.

I am pleased to say the dealer eventually went out of his way to help in this matter. They even gave the car a free safety check. Only trouble is the drivers side headlight now shows signs of misting up.

I asked the chap about changing bulbs. To change bulbs he told me the front spoiler has to be removed and the headlight removed. He said that is the only bad thing he knows about the Toyota. He told me other than that my Toyota T4 is one of the most reliable cars on the road. So there you are folks if you get condensation in your headlights you now know a new headlight is available under warranty to overcome the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

I work at a toyota dealership, we have had lots of problems with avensis headlight condensation and bulb holders.

When we replace them now we replace them with a newer versions with different bulb holders (dont melt) and modified covers and seals (stop condensation.

The bulbs can be changed without removing the lamp unit/bumper but it is a tight squeeze with the cover but it can be done.

Mart

The modified covers seem hard to get hold of. I am waiting for a back order.

I found the drivers headlight had condensation as well but when the drier weather came it disappeared. The dealer has ordered a new headlight. I hope they will still change the headlight as I feel sure the condensation will return in damp weather.

Condensation in the lights seems to be a major problem on the Avensis.

We have changed quite a few avensis headlights this week (approx 6 or 7) i'm pretty sure all of these had the new covers with them. When i have been PDI'ing brand new avensis (less than 4 miles) many of them have had a slight amount of condensation in the headlights! its crazy.