Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlights

nansus

Passenger side headlight was changed. Then the drivers side got condensation. Since the weather has not been so damp the drivers side cleared itself. I spoke to the service manager at the dealers today (24th Jan) and he has agreed to change the drivers side headlight under warranty but it has not condensation in at the moment. The dealer has been very understanding. So if you have got any headlight or fog light condensation and your car is under warranty get them changed. I have been assured the new type headlights will cure the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris Dance

• Chris Be

• drdanny

• moonstone mart

Hi all,

I had this issue on my ford Cougar which also had sealed front light units and were plastic ones, and now I have the same issue as you all on the avensis t3x 03plate...

It is a warranty issue and known by the MR t gang.

Looks like they try to replace the rear cover with one which has venting slots in it, but I am still getting the moisture build up and have let them know about it at me local dealership....not to fussed about it on this one as come Monday I will be replacing the T3x with a T4 and have to probably start over again....

sofar the issues I've had is...

1. Car not unlocking so used key in door and hey presto the alarm goes off and took ages to shut up , mentinoed to dealership, not fixed :blink:

2. Squeeky breaks - resolved by changing shim pads :thumbsup:

3. Moisture build up in front lenses - not fixed :blink:

I do like the car that is why I aint changing from Toyota, also my dealership Octagon Reading have been fab so far....

Top Banana :thumbsup:

There will be no quibble if your car is under warranty and you get condensation in the headlights. Your dealer will change them. The trouble was the heat from the bulb melted the plastic bulb holder. The bulb holder would drop allowing moisture into the headlight. The new headlight has a metal bulb holder and new back cover. This should solve the problem. Toyota know it is a design fault. This is the information the dealer gave me. My fog and healights have all been changed under warranty. Dealer has been great.

• 1 month later...

My 03 Avensis has just passed Warranty and it's now developed the condensation problem, anyone know if Toyota will change them anyway seeing as how this is a know design fault?

Thanks

Yes they should change the lights as it is a known design fault. I know a chap with a company car who had the lights changed FOC his Toyota was just out of warranty,

Yes they should change the lights as it is a known design fault. I know a chap with a company car who had the lights changed FOC his Toyota was just out of warranty,

I had mine changed at 60,000 miles. All I said to the dealer was that 'they seemed a tad dim'.. Can had actually done 60,500 miles and is a 53 plate Avensis... All paid up via Mr T

This is common problem. I got my right headlight replaced also. The condensation started to appear after the first year. Looks like its a manufacturing issue, the Toyota dealer said its a known problem and for that rason they are ordering spare headlights manufactured in Japan.

It's important you change them...because driving around with dim headlights is very dangerous. And the melting plastic does just that....dim the headlights. I'm surprised this isn't a recall to be honest...

I have a "03" registered Avensis T-Spirit and I too have had trouble with condensation in the headlight units. Mine were fine until a bulb blew. The local dealer fitted me a new bulb and then all hell broke loose. I ended up having a complete new unit under warranty. Then guess what; about a month later the other bulb went. This time the dealer managed to remove the condensation that had built up overnight. It seem that once you break the factory seal, then condensation gets in quite easily.

working for a toyota center for several years as a master technican. there is a known fault with the avensis

headlights. The bulb tends to melt the bulb holder and in turn melts the headlamp bulb holder. As a toyota owner i'm sure you are aware that you have 3 years or 60'000 mile warrenty with your vehicle. If new lamps are fitted and the problem is still apparent. I have found my own fix for the problem if out of warrenty

(none toyota feild fix) remove head lamp and drill 2x small vent holes in base of lamp 4-5 mm and the problem is resolved.

mcvpid3 Has your dealer resolved your headlight problem by changing the lights and the bulb holders? If not I think you should be talking to the customer care department at Toyota.

• 1 month later...

:thumbsup: Latest update

I contacted main dealer who suggested changing "BULB".

Didn't follow this up but, I did notice that the assembly was fairly airtight so,I drove the car for a day with no rubber cup around bulb to allow hot air circulate inside .

This dried out the condensation and, it hasn't returned since.

I had the old condensation problem and tried the just out of waranty/known problem bit with my dealer in cardiff but they weren't having none of it and quored me £640.00 to replace the units. I ended up taking your advice and drove around withe rubber seals off for a day and hey presto it's gone. Cheers :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

Other than changing the unit, does anybody have a cure for condensation inside the headlight of an avensis (2004)

nansus

I probably know most about this.....don't ask me why

Condensation is to be expected to a certain extent. After all air has moisture in it and when the lamp cools down it will drag air in. When its cold the moisture will condensate on the lens. The lamps are designed to burn off moisture during use. If they aren't then check seals etc are in the correct place and as they should be. Toyota DO know about this and are trying to fix for new models

• 1 month later...

My 03 Avensis has just passed Warranty and it's now developed the condensation problem, anyone know if Toyota will change them anyway seeing as how this is a know design fault?

Thanks

Just purchased a 53 reg T3X first registered 19/9/03 and the day after I bought it home I had condensation in the passenger side headlight, and i'm talking lots. Anyhow I have written to Mr T and will keep you posted when I get a reply. After all even if it's out of warranty they should surely replace them FOC given it's a known design fault.

• 3 months later...

This is for info to all who have condensation problem on "head-lamp units" on Avensis. Toyota have extended there warranty to "5 years" on Headlights if there is condensation on it as this is a design fault. I just got them replaced last week (mine is 03 Avensis) as light was very dim and it was getting dangerous to drive during the night time. After replacement the light is brilliant and I can see the road again!! :)

I must add that the dealer (Hills of Woodford in Essex) were exceptionally helpful (as usual!) and changed both the headlight units after I told them the problem.

Hope this helps.

This is for info to all who have condensation problem on "head-lamp units" on Avensis. Toyota have extended there warranty to "5 years" on Headlights if there is condensation on it as this is a design fault. I just got them replaced last week (mine is 03 Avensis) as light was very dim and it was getting dangerous to drive during the night time. After replacement the light is brilliant and I can see the road again!! :)

I must add that the dealer (Hills of Woodford in Essex) were exceptionally helpful (as usual!) and changed both the headlight units after I told them the problem.

Hope this helps.

:toast: I would like to thank you for this post as i did not know about the 5 year warranty and would have had to buy a second hand unit. :cheers:

I have just had my headlights changed ( 03 plate Avensis ) by my dealer :yahoo: , both of the headlight bulb holders had burnt, I rang up on Thursday night and got the car booked in on Saturday at no cost to me. So my thanks go to Mr t.

Last of all thanks to Ann @ RRG Bolton for a quick and hassle free response :thumbsup:

Thanks to robv11, for that info. I too was going to buy a second hand unit on eBay but luckily was outbid for it, then I saw your post. Rang Toyota York and am taking it to them on monday (11th). They confirmed the extended warranty, so am happy about that. Only had my 03 plate T4 a week now and love it. :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

I did call today to Toyota about condensation in headlights and they told me that they will change whole units for free(my car does not have warranty any more).They told me also that this problem is well known for toyota.

I did ask them also about bulb replacement(very poor light) and they could not recommend any.

I have a appointment for 6 of october.I will let you now after it.

Any advice what bulbs will give me more lights (my car:Avensis 2003,T4,2.00 litre VVTi)

Cheers

Woj

The biggest fundamental problem here is that the headlamps are sealed units.

Sealed lamps of any sort never go down well in a british climate.

The Avensis headlamp is NOT a sealed beam, the fix is to replace the headlamp AND the cover which fits over the back (81145) See attached picture

71569233_o.jpg

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 10 months later...
Other than changing the unit, does anybody have a cure for condensation inside the headlight of an avensis (2004)

nansus

get one of the little bags that come with electrical goods that soak up moisture. tie fishing line to one conner and place inside headlight unit" where the bulb is" when moisture gone pull it back out using fishing line.

hope this helps

Toyota Avensis H/Lamps have had a problem from the word go (I have seen the TSB regarding this matter) the main beam connection to main beam light melts, made of (crap plastic) plastic. If in some cases you attempt to remove plug for 1st time if bulb has blown connection breaks, end of headlamp. The dipped beams on early models are just plain useless. Every Toyota dealer is aware of this problem & headlamps should be changed under warranty, if a service manager tells you other wise he is being economical with the truth & most certainly will do everything in the book to get rid of you. I know of a few exceptions only, who change the lights with no messing.

just to let you all know for your piece of mind. RECTIFICATION: as long as your avensis is not the updated version (55-08) your headlights are under maufactures extended warranty to either 100,000 or 7 years for this condensation problem. CAUSE: water ingress into both front headlights is caused by the back cover of the headlights not having an adequate watertight seal hence causing water ingress and sometimes the bulb and bulb holder to burn out. Toyota Have modified headlights for this problem so cantact your franchised toyota dealer. :rolleyes: mark (Toyota technician)

To Starensis,

Live in the Republic of Ireland, do you know if this extended light warranty fix is right across European-Union or just for the UK. As Toyota.ie is a seperate entity to Toyota Uk as far as I am aware. Have 03 model bought from JEMCA - WEST HENDON & not COLINDALE AS THEY CLAIM (Colindale sounds more up-market?). Moved over a couple of years ago, car was just over 3 years old when I bought it but they would not change h/lamps point blank. Spoke to customer care numerous & was told politely told I could go jump. If you have any TSBs or warranty paperwork regarding this matter ,would you be able to PM me please. Any help would be much appreciated. Regards Beagh.

[Do you have a reference no for the memo which quotes the 7 years/100k? As im getting the run around from my local dealership, PM me if you like.

Thanks

Andy

:ffs:

• 1 month later...
just to let you all know for your piece of mind. RECTIFICATION: as long as your avensis is not the updated version (55-08) your headlights are under maufactures extended warranty to either 100,000 or 7 years for this condensation problem. CAUSE: water ingress into both front headlights is caused by the back cover of the headlights not having an adequate watertight seal hence causing water ingress and sometimes the bulb and bulb holder to burn out. Toyota Have modified headlights for this problem so cantact your franchised toyota dealer. :rolleyes: mark (Toyota technician)

now I for one would LOVE to get hold of some more info on this 7 year thing. Already had both headlamps replaced (at separate times) since I bought the car in Nov 2005. Its a 2004 T3X..... I got a feeling that this coming winter they are going to start doing it all over again....!!

Please do let us know if there is some particular document we can refer to when talking to the dealer!!

Also, I would like to know how long the replaced headlamp units are "guaranteed" for from installation, if at all?!

Thanks in advance

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links