Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Parcel Shelf/luggage Cover

haligary

I have just acquired a 'Granite' model. My only gripe is the poorly designed shelf that will not stay up on it's own and falls on your bonce if you are reaching under when it drops from the wedged up position! I use my boot as a locker for my golf gear so often need to ferret around.

A friend in Spain tells me he bought a new RAV4 a couple of months ago but that it had a roller blind style cover fitted. Toyota deny all knowledge of such an option and say it must have been arranged by the dealer. I haven't been able to get to the bottom of this yet but I WANT ONE!

Failing that has anyone got a solution - some ties to hold the shelf in place or suchlike? I can't understand why such a decent car has such a basic and unnecessary feature.

Haligary :angry:

Hi Haligary,

Welcome to the club, and congrats on your Granite purchase - nice looking motor!!!

I agree with your comments - the parcel shelf is really badly designed, its as if they got to the end of making the car.....and said......oh, I can't be ubikd anymore - lets put this yaris parcel shelf in it (No offence Yaris owners!!!).

Rav owners are easily spotted, what with the bruised foreheads!!!!

A roller blind style would be much better - similar to the old CRV option. I think we have all come to terms with the fact thats how it is - as I do not know of anyone that has a solution.

Guys n' Gals - anybody know any different?????

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rich

Been away and was hoping to visit friend in Spain who says he has a roller blind style cover on his new RAV. Didn't get there this trip but when I do I hope to see it in the flesh (vinyl?) and try and source one for myself. Getting used to crap fitted cover but it still irritates me especially after a bad round of golf which can be quite often! If I get any useful info I'll zap a message to the club.

Been in France and achieved the quoted 42mpg on fast roads over a decent distance. About 37 otherewise but thats good compared to Guernsey which restricts me to just under 30 - must be all the salt in the air.....!

Thanks for replying to my question.

Cheers

Gary

Hi Haligary,

Welcome to the TOC, had a thought about the parcel shelf, take a look on the RAV4 site in the States and see if they have covers ,if so order one up.

Or take a look at other Toyota models and see if one can be adapted.

http://rav4world.com/

• 7 months later...

I agree that the design of the shelf is c**p! So I've set about making my own. It isn't finished yet, but the basic design is done.

For details of what I've done, visit my Rav4 page:-

http://www.spips.co.uk/rav4

Cheers,

Phil

I agree that the design of the shelf is c**p! So I've set about making my own. It isn't finished yet, but the basic design is done.

For details of what I've done, visit my Rav4 page:-

http://www.spips.co.uk/rav4

Cheers,

Phil

Phil,

Looks very nice indeed very clean job!

Rich

Bored.....Stressed.........Want more from life?

Visit Smile Be Happy Ltd

Before I got my Rav, I'd read about this and thought it was a minor problem.

Having owned one for a couple of weeks, I can see it is a real problem :angry:

Okay, without the benefit being by the Rav and actually looking at the parcel-shelf-to-rubber-bit-retainers (or not as we are finding!) here are 3 ideas that peeps may wish to develop into a working solution:

The two handed solution:

Use a bonnet/boot switch - one that is a sprung rod - and attach to a pillar (only one side is needed) for the parcel shelf to rest on. Maplin do one for £1.49, in black, trim-able rod length, with a black "boot" to cover the base bracket. Requires one 1.4 inch (?) hole for the rod recess, and one pilot hole for the securing screw. Needs to be pressed in to get the parcel shelf past to rest on it, and presed in again to release the shelf. This, although 100% workable, would be a little tedious to use in real life I suspect. Most people will only have the shelf up to for a short amount of time.

One handed solution:

I've not yet seen the part to achieve this, and I doubt it will come in black, but what the heck..... A sprung, one-way rocker switch with the "hinge" at one end - the sort that is "off" until the rocker in depressed, and returns back to off when released. Again, attach to pillar (not sure how as I've yet to find the part). Hopefully, lifting the shelf up will allow the shelf to go past the switch (depressed and then releasing it) and allow it to rest in place. To release, depress the switch and bring the shelf down past the switch.

No-handed solution:

Velcro!! There must be a way to attach some velcro to the rubber stops and the shelf (if required - I suspect velcro will "stick to the shelf material anyway) to hold it up.

Just some ideas <_<

Can't believe Toyota didn't design a good parcel shelf.... :blink:

Lucky the 3 doors do not have a parcel shelf... :P :!Removed!:

I found Toyota Japan's website with accessories for the Rav4

Click here.....

Under Cargo Item > Item number 9, is that like a roller type??

Anyone able to read japanese here??? <_<

Kenny

There is a company that advertises in the Auto Express magazine ,and they sell luggage covers, looks like a clip to back of seats and pull out, sorry no web site ,but their number is 0208 309 5177, cover costs £109.95 and are available in four widths.....125mm,130mm,134mm and 140mm ,could do the job well :) .

Lucky the 3 doors do not have a parcel shelf... :P  :!Removed!:

Click here.....

Anyone able to read japanese here???  <_<

Kenny

Sorry to dissapoint you but that item just looks like the parcel shelf fitted to my Rav

Lucky the 3 doors do not have a parcel shelf... :P  :!Removed!:

Click here.....

Anyone able to read japanese here???  <_<

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

That is the original parcel shelf - there are two roller blinds that attach to the rear seats. They only cover half of the boot area - the rear most part is rigid and it's this that won't stay up on them.

I also felt that there were too many gaps around it, and you can see through into the boot area, which is a potential security hazard. Hence I've set about making my own which hopefully is a bit more security.

I just wish Toyota had thought about it a bit more.

Cheers,

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

i run a small blind business on the isle of wight and i have a rav might be able to manufacter some thing for us poor soles it would mean drilling the inside panels just behind the rear seat for fixing brackets with two small self tappers , then two hooks similar to shopping hooks at rear near door, any interest?? :group-cuddles: plus most colours avaliable.......

just been looking round on eBay for luggage covers

I found a Vauxhall zafira one (item number 4559224774)

According to the seller...

"The precise internal measurement across is 50", with about an additional half an inch either side where it slots in, thus making 51"."

Has anybody tried a cover from another make.

The dimensions of this look about right, it might be adaptable...

Anybody got a mate with a zafira??

I'm sure if you looked around a breakers yard, you would find one to fit :) , would help to also have a Rav there, to check fitment.

• 4 weeks later...

the rear shelf is a pain in the goosberries - i have a quick fix

just pull the shelf forward out of it's hinge clips and slide the whole thing toward the rear seat and tilt it up so that it leans against the headrests. this works even if the retractable privacy blinds are in place. it is a tiny bit more inconvenient than lifting the shelf in the normal way but has the advantage of being free and won't hit you on the back of the head unexpectedly as you rummage in the boot

toyota should be ashamed of the way the shelf is designed in a ~£20k car

• 2 years later...

Hi all, new to the forum & just got a black 5 door XTR today.

As for the parcel shelf issue I didnt even get one in ours, anyone tell me if they are an "optional" extra or is my dealer just takin the preverbial ?

Hi MC and welcome to TOC. Think the dealer is taking the preverbial, get straight back on to

them and tell them you want it. Would'nt like to buy one, it would be quite expensive unless

you could get one from Fleabay.

When you get a chance put some photos of your Rav on the Photos thread. Then if I see

you I can give you the :thumbsup: Only 4 or 5 miles away.

Cheers,

Dave. ;)

Hi MC and welcome to TOC. Think the dealer is taking the preverbial, get straight back on to

them and tell them you want it. Would'nt like to buy one, it would be quite expensive unless

When you get a chance put some photos of your Rav on the Photos thread. Then if I see

Cheers,

Dave. ;)

Cheers mate, much appreciated, still in shock as I traded in a Mazda RX-8 for the Rav & have gone from screaming round on 2 wheels to cruising in my "4" now.

I'll let you know how I get on a dealers & I'll post some pics asap,

Cheers...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers,

Dave. ;)

Cheers mate, much appreciated, still in shock as I traded in a Mazda RX-8 for the Rav & have gone from screaming round on 2 wheels to cruising in my "4" now.

Cheers...

And just noticed I havnt got a manual with it either.

This is a "local" Toyota dealer, you'd think they would consider customer service a priority wouldnt you ?

Well this one is gonna get a right flea in his ear after this performance. I'll refrain from naming them just for the minute to give them the chance to redeem themselves tomorrow.

VERY ANGRY 4 DRIVER

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Cheers,

Dave. ;)

Cheers...

This is a "local" Toyota dealer, you'd think they would consider customer service a priority wouldnt you ?

Well this one is gonna get a right flea in his ear after this performance. I'll refrain from naming them just for the minute to give them the chance to redeem themselves tomorrow.

VERY ANGRY 4 DRIVER

Be nice. They may have been taken out for valeting purposes and that is sometimes a third party.

Welcome to the club. Soon your anger will turn to madnesssssssssssss.

Cheers,

Dave. ;)

Cheers...

VERY ANGRY 4 DRIVER

Be nice. They may have been taken out for valeting purposes and that is sometimes a third party.

Welcome to the club. Soon your anger will turn to madnesssssssssssss.

Well we got everything were requested altho Ive yet to see the parcelshelf as its rained all night since I got in.

Will try & get some pics over weekend...

Cheers for all the kind words folks, feel at home already !!!

B)

Cheers for all the kind words folks, feel at home already !!!

B)

Lovely.............don't take too long on the pic's, were an inpatient lot :P :P :P :P

Remember rules...1.Don't mention the H***A C** The Ugly One :sick: :sick: words on here & 2.look at 1 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My solution was I bought four cheap biro's from Smiths, they had removable finger pads, I took these off and with the aid of some fairy liquid on the inside of the pad slipped them onto the parcel shelf hooks, works perfectly not even a hint of a noise, you need fairly chunky biro's, but they're cheap enough anyhow B) B) . The ones I got were grey in colour, but I guess you can get them in any colour you like, have a look all will become clear when you see them B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links