Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving Experience / Ride Quality

CurranShelter

Recently bought a new Corolla T2 1. 6 5dr from UK Toyota dealer (did argue a fairly good discount).

Had 1 problem straight away - heavy vibration at speed, followed very soon by a loud clunk, and then normal driving... after checking, dealer tells me it's the driver's side brake shoe disintegrating!! They replaced the shoe and checked that the drum wasn't damaged, and all OK since. But no explanation.

Seems OK now, except:

1. Slight roll after applying handbrake and releasing footbrake - is that normal?

2. Steering a bit 'wooly' compared to my old 206. Not bad around town but numb and unresponsive on the motorway - I get sore shoulders by being tense just to make small adjustments!

3. Ride.... Not too sure about this. I find it quite bumpy over 'features' in the road, certainly different from what I'm used to, but then it does feel more solid. Perhaps I've just forgotten how bad my old car was. Suspension very nice generally but thuds into potholes.

4. When moving off from cold, can't vary speed in 1st gear without some serious jerking & jolting... need to move into 2nd asap where it almost drives itself (high revs, like my old car used to be in 1st with A/C switched on).

5. I also have the gap above the radio, which my dealer reckoned was 'normal' (the showroom model had it - but worse!!) but I've read on here that there's now a fix for it.

6. Front bumper and wheel arch alignment, out on the driver's side. Apparently there is a fix for this too.

7. Some suspension creak from the rear, esp. when turning up onto a hill for example. Not expected on a 2 month old car!

Any comments on these experiences would be appreciated. My first car from new, so I just don't know what to expect.

2. I also have the gap above the radio, which my dealer reckoned was 'normal' (the showroom model had it - but worse!!) but I've read on here that there's now a fix for it.

The gap is "normal" .............well it is .............but they even know how fix it !!!

I cant`t beleve that this "gap" is still there after allmost 3 years of production of E12 and dozens complains about that. :angry:

I too think the ride is a little hard, feeling bumps in the road, but as suggested this could be a trade off between ride and handling. Having said that the Focus we had previously has pin sharp handling and the ride isn't too hard.

My wife and I both had difficulty finding a seating position that was comfortable....back aches on very short journeys. Any one else get back aches?

Bonnet release has failed already (car is only 6 months old), but will hopefully be sorted on Thursday.

Andy R

Bonnet release has failed already (car is only 6 months old), but will hopefully be sorted on Thursday.

Andy R

i also had problems with this

Backache no, but I do get tense arms/shoulders, because I can't seem to find a relaxed position. If I put the steering at the most comfortable height, the base hits my knees (as do my keys) and I can't see the top of the speedo.

Also disappointing, because it got generally good reviews for comfort from the reports I read, and that was an important factor for me as I have shoulder pain anyway and my old 206 had a fairly bad driving position.

Interesting Andy R what you said about the Focus, as I did consider that - briefly. But I opted for the supposedly more reliable Toyota, and in fact have seen nothing but glowing reports about Ford reliability ever since!

Hmmm... fingers crossed my bonnet catch doesn't go too...

• 4 weeks later...

My original post updated with 2 new problems!! Re: problems 5, 6 & 7, thinking about taking it back to dealer to get these looked at, but never seem to find time. Anyone else got bumper/wheel arch alignment prob or suspension creak?

CurranShelter

I've had a T Sport Corolla for 10 months now.

The steering on it is not as good as whats on a 206 (i drove one in Ireland for a week), but it not too bad compared to most electric power steering systems. Which are way over assisted (just try a basic renault clio or seat ibiza).

On the driving position, if you set the bottom of the seat that's right for the pedals you will be too far away from the steering wheel (unless you have short legs). Which may make your shoulder pain worse. I fined it best to set somewere between what's right for the pedals & what's right for the steering wheel.

The creeking from the back could be the plastic trays in the boot that hold the jack. As they are mounted directly on the body. Mine are now mounted on foam, then to the car.

My radio does rattle like a childs toy, (without any gaps around it) & struggles to pick up any traffic announcements.

My Corolla has a fairly short gearing & the 206 I drove had very long gearing. There for you can leave the 206 in 1st for longer than a Corrolla (T Sport anyway).

pb5 :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Took it in to the dealer to investigate the suspension creak, and look at the radio gap and front skirt/wheel arch gap.

Radio gap now much improved although not totally cured. Front skirt / wheel arch gap now sorted.

Didn't surprise me terribly when they said they'd done an extensive road test (well, just over a mile according to the trip counter) and hadn't heard the creak, but had greased this and that anyway. I dunno, past experience tells me mechanics never hear the same noises as I do. As soon as I drove it away I heard it, and keep doing so when cornering, turning up a hill etc. I suppose it could be the tray in the boot but it just doesn't sound like that, plus it's always when there's force on the suspension.

This, and the general ride quality, is the only thing that worries me and stops me being very satisfied with my new 'rolla.

• 1 month later...

Used to the steering now, I've learned how to enjoy it, but the ride is still bugging me!!!

And of course the more weight in the car, the more I notice it. Not too easy to impress your friends with your new car when it's thudding over 'features' in the road.

Still keep wondering if:

a) that's just how it is on a Corolla (but don't remember it on my test drives!)

b) that's just how it is on a Japanese-built Corolla!?

c) my suspension suffered some sort of damage when the rear brake stuck on ???

If it were (a) I suppose I'd accept it and live with it but I can't help wondering...

I have a 3 month old 1.6 TSpirit.

1. Mine does that, and so did my 2 Rover 75's before, so I guess that's normal.

2. Steering sounds normal to me for the Corolla.

3. Can't say I've found the suspension 'bumpy', but it certainly has a solid feel to it and is noiseless. Soaks up pot holes as well as my Rover 75's did.

4. Seems a common trait for Corollas. There are numerous similar comments on the forum.

5. Gap above the radio? Can't say I've noticed.

6. Mine had that - fixed it myself - just a self tapping screw in the wrong place.

7. Never had any noise from the suspension.

Hope this helps.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links