Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Top Speed Probs

wedryjoel

Hello forum, I have a gen5 and seems to be fine through the rev range, but in 5th gear it doesn't seem to go over 5000 rpm and top speed around 110 to 115.

I was just wondering if other gen5 drivers have had this prob.. And what should the top speed be???

thank for any help Joel :thumbsup:

just as above mate. Its a shame I know :crybaby:

top speed on my car at one point was of the speedo so I have no idea. :blink:

then when the limiter kicked in, the speedo was reading 125-130mph but as I have learnt speedoes are never 100% accurate. :ffs:

my advice :lol: stay under the 112 mark :thumbsup::ph34r:

Thank you for your replies... No its not an import.. It does howevrer when going through the rev range seem to accelerate from3000rpm to 4000rpm and 5000rpm onwards very well and kind of flat through the rest... Also when cold seems to judder when pulling away... Asha I do stay under 112 on the roads but still want my baby running right... your car looks fab... :thumbsup:

use 4th gear to get the speed up then use 5th , its an overdrive gear after all, for economy.its a gen 5 so a 3sfe 140 bhp so 120mph is about its whack .if its the 3sge engine its 165 bhp so expect more from it.

use 4th gear to get the speed up then use 5th , its an overdrive gear after all, for economy.its a gen 5 so a 3sfe 140 bhp so 120mph is about its whack .if its the 3sge engine its 165 bhp so expect more from it.

was the engines put in on certain years, mines a 90..

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...c=23098&hl=3sfe

look here half way down for the engine differences.

if yours is a gt-r then its the 3sge.

cheers very helpfull mines the top engine.. And mines the uk model not gt-r

I know my HT leads are not on the top of the engine... between the cams. but to back of the engine bay :thumbsup:

top engine is the early 3sge in yours then , a much quicker motor.it now pushes 173 bhp ,as of old it was 165 ish.

All UK gen 5 celicas have the 3s-ge engine in 158 bhp tune. Except the GT-4 of course. I am surprised you are topping out so early. Your car shouldn't have been speed limited, but it is just possible that it got put on by mistake at the factory or something. I don't know if they were made on the same line as the jap cars or not.

I believe that a speed limiter has quite a dramatic effect (fuel cut or misfiring or something), which would be pretty obvious compared to the natural terminal velocity of the car.

I think 5k is about the speed that the TVIS changes over, which changes the tuned length of the induction for high rev power. Could be that this is not working properly, but I don't know how to check it off the top of my head.

All UK gen 5 celicas have the 3s-ge engine in 158 bhp tune. Except the GT-4 of course. I am surprised you are topping out so early. Your car shouldn't have been speed limited, but it is just possible that it got put on by mistake at the factory or something. I don't know if they were made on the same line as the jap cars or not.

I believe that a speed limiter has quite a dramatic effect (fuel cut or misfiring or something), which would be pretty obvious compared to the natural terminal velocity of the car.

I think 5k is about the speed that the TVIS changes over, which changes the tuned length of the induction for high rev power. Could be that this is not working properly, but I don't know how to check it off the top of my head.

When the speed limiter does kick you will know about it, :angry:

When it happened to KITT (the first time) I was in the fast lane obviously, and the car just jerked forward very roughly so your foot goes automaticly to the brake, you ***** yourself for a bit and wonder wtf just happened. but thats it, just keep control of the car and carry on at a safer speed.

yeah I get the ***** at 5000rpm in every gear, except in 5th.. I think she might need tuning, and also i think the clutch is slipping a bit when changing gear at high revs... But still eat all the little saxo's and vauxhalls ,fords until I get to 100mph mark. and if the little car is determined they can catch up if its a sport model..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links