Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Fuel Computer Again

Norbreck21a

Hi all, I know this has been discussed before, but I finally got sick of my fuel computer reading so inaccuratly and constantly resetting itself to I contacted toyota.

I was very surprised to receive a "yes we know" kinda attitude and an instant agreement to have it replaced under warranty. Apparently, all of the clocks need replacing (i.e. Not just the fuel computer display, but also the speedo, tacho etc..). Unfontunalty this will mean my mileage been reset to 000 miles, which I suppose isn't too bad as the car only has 5000 miles on it.

My point is how many other (New shape) Avensis owners have an inaccurate computer or am I the exception rather than the rule. As a for instance, when I just filled up, my computer showed an Average of 56.2mpg, when I worked it out properly, it was nearer 37.7mpg ! :eek:

Cheers

Andrew

mine is the same although not as inaccurate as yours. i normally have 48 ish on the display but when i work it out it more like 43.

i have already had my computer changed under warranty as it reset itself every time i rolled backwards down a slope. which as my drive is on a hill happened every time unless i reversed on. they didnt changed the speedo etc though. just the computer.

or so they told me....

the miles driven hasnt changed so i assume they didnt change that bit.

why does it all need to be changed? surely the circuit board that calculates the range etc is within the computer diplay in the centre of the dash.

Apparently not. It seems (so I am told) that the fuel computer calculations are derived from readings from the ECU and also the Instrument clocks (i.e. Speedo, Tacho and Fuel Remaining). They are all intertwined - or at least that's what they told me.

To me honest, I'd be happy with your accuracy. BTW, 43mpg is pretty good if it's a petrol engine, mine only average approx 37 with a best of 40.5 (actual calulations). Is yours a 1.8 or 2.0L ?

Cheers

Andrew

no mate - mines a diesel 2.0d4d. however my commute is aggressive - shall we say :)

i did wonder if the accuarcy of mine might be due to the pump. sometimes it clicks off early etc. only a few litres less will give differences in mpg although not a bad as you get.

for eg. 45litres gives 500 miles = 50.5mpg

2 litres less which is about 3secs of holding the pump open is 52.85mpg

what do you think?

Hello,

I have a 2001 1.8 VVTi Avensis, and my average mpg never changes from 33.4. Can you tell me is this the same problem? The car has had it's speedo changed when the previous owner had it.

Best Regards

Patrick

My point is how many other (New shape) Avensis owners have an inaccurate computer or am I the exception rather than the rule. As a for instance, when I just filled up, my computer showed an Average of 56.2mpg, when I worked it out properly, it was nearer 37.7mpg ! :eek:

My father drives a new Ave. He also reported the problem of inaccurate and self reseting fuel computer. AFAIK it's scheduled to be replaced under warranty.

tx

My T-Spirit has the same intermittent problem on the fuel computer; my garage offered to replace the computer but I turned down the offer due to the reset of the mileage..its annoying, but I guess I'll have to learn to live with it. :crybaby:

I don't understand why Toyota have put the odometer information on the same circuit board as the fuel calc part of the computer. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I was about to raise the issue of the resetting of the fuel computer. It happened to me for the third time in about four months (toyota Avensis d4d - 2004 model). I did not report it to the dealer as last time it happened it was after I returned from a trip outside town, for which average consumption was 5.8l/100km and started driving in town, mostly second gear, when consumption goes to about 10l/100km. Sorry for not translating that into mpg for British members.

Hi all, my avensis 2003 D4D also does that some times it reads 5.6L and then it jumps to 35 L and it takes a lot of time to came back to 6 or 7 L.

Here Toyota says it dosnt know nothing about this. : (

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2002 1.8GS and I have discovered that your Avg MPG is from the last time you reset the trip. We did Blackpool-London and back the other w/end and got 39mpg on the trip and it worked out the same long hand.

To reset your mpg do the following: After a fill up to the brim select the mpg on the screen and press the trip button until it beeps at you, this will reset it to zero and then the new mpg will start changing again.

Hope this helps those who think there mpg might be stuck!

Unfortunatley, on the new shape Avensis, the trip computer is reset everytime you refill (i/m not sure if there's a contact on the filler flap or if it sees more fuel than before and assumes a fill up, but it resets itself anyway - and it's still blo*dy inaccurate !