Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris - Autoexpress...

deagle

>>> FROM THIS WEEK'S AUTO EXPRESS. IT ALSO HAS PICS IF ANYONE HAS A SCANNER ?...

This week's issue of Auto Expresss magazine has exclusive images of Toyota's new Yaris speed testing at Germany's Nürburgring.

The Toyota will be slightly larger than the current car and offered in two bodystyles. The five-door pictured in the mag has features of the Corolla about it, while the three-door will get an even more radical look to appeal to a younger market. There is even the possibility of a Peugeot 1007-style sliding door.

Practicality will get a boost, too, due to a clever folding seat arrangement and underfloor storage - now must-haves in this class. The Yaris will also keep the original model's unique central digital instrument display, which leaves an uncluttered dash.

More engine options will be offered this time round. Entry-level models will use a revised version of the existing 1.0-litre three-cylinder petrol unit. This will be joined by a new diesel, based on the 1.4 D-4D motor but designed for ultra efficiency and low emissions.

A range-topping T Sport may use a turbocharged variant of the 1.5-litre petrol, developing up to 130bhp. This car would take on hot hatches such as the Ford Fiesta ST and MINI Cooper.

Due to reach showrooms in late 2005 - although possibly without the slow-selling Verso mini-MPV variant - this Yaris could also be the first mainstream petrol/electric hybrid Toyota.

does anyone know what turbo engine they will be using?

will it be the 1nZ-FE with a turbo? or something new???

I think they are using the same engines mate and the turbo is just the japanese TS turbo engine!

Don't quote me on that tho! :thumbsup:

hmm... 130hp on a 1.5L turbo is not enough! Nissan Micra 1.3L engines deliver the same power at 10psi with stock internals...

why don't they offer it with the TTE supercharger? or go all they way and forge the internals and boost it up a bit - to around 150bhp... :drool:

i would rather have turbo than compressor. if its the same as the jap engines? why are they only giving us 130hp in stead of 150hp ? you can almost get 130hp out of the 1.5L with N/A mods. though 130 would be alot

Well I have just bought the copy of the mag and oh my god

Its absolutely hideous :o

I was thinking that I would keep my GS for another year or so and might buy the new one when it launches. But I think I may just upgrade to a better model of the existing style and not buy the new one. It looks like a Fiat Stilo from the back! :blink: It looks like a box.

What do you all think?

Pam

well in the article they say the 3 door will look a bit more sporty for the youth market so it will be interesting to see what its like...

It looks like the Scion xA for the US market...They got these last year while we got the current body style as the Echo RS (Vitz/Yaris RS) in Canada

Cheers

Its absolutely hideous :o

Yeh I got the mag, obviously alot of the design work and things are covered but yes, its not as lovable as it is now.

lad just to let ye know the car the will be base on a updated toyota "ist" that is in japan, and yea wait to see the 3 door it is a lot better, what they are doing is something like what they did this year with the corolla verso, which is base on car that is already in japan. it does drive a lot better in standard mode than the current model does.

hmm... 130hp on a 1.5L turbo is not enough! Nissan Micra 1.3L engines deliver the same power at 10psi with stock internals...

why don't they offer it with the TTE supercharger? or go all they way and forge the internals and boost it up a bit - to around 150bhp... :drool:

You mean like the 150 BHP version sold here in Switzerland...

(http://de.toyota.ch/media/chde/pdf/prices/Yaristurbo_d_06-03.pdf)

Sold for £13800 of your UK punds :-)

(much too expensive for 150ps if you ask me.., the 182ps Clio costs about 800 quid less)

Kevin

You mean like the 150 BHP version sold here in Switzerland...

Kevin

You git :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

$12,995 in the states = £7,062.73 over here.

I bet it will cost the same here in sterling as in dollars!

Rip off Britain again! :ffs:

thats proper horrible!!! i hate it! that will not sell... its like summat daewoo would bring out... :cacker:

Minnnt

I know that this may be a stupid thing to say, but If the new Yaris was simply going to be an xA then surely they wouldn't be just getting an xA and sticking bits of plastic to it :rolleyes:

Sure, those pics may be of the new Yaris but it strikes me that this is probably just an engineering mule clad in most of an xA body and which will look only nominally like it.

When Land Rover was developing the Freelander it used a load of Maestros as engineering mules. No matter how crud it is, a Freelander doesn't look like a Maestro...

I don't think you should all be worrying!

A

PS I have no respect for Auto Express... Autocar rules! ;)

PPS I thought so! The xA is already sold in Japan as the Ist alongside the Yaris (well, Vitz). Oh yeah, the Ist is auto only... enjoy!

eischek! (im sure thats a word.. if not, it should be) Im not liking that! Hope the three door looks better, otherwise my SR's staying for a good while!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links