Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ep91

scutch0

ok guys here's my problem,

im currently running ebc standard pads (four months old) and the original discs which dont appear to be worn that much.

ok, my brakes are good on response and seem to be really strong... but seem a bit too strong. im running 195x45 r16's which have brand new tires, but i don't seem to be able to put my faith in the brakes as they lock up way too easy. as far as i can remember they've always been like this though.

is this just something that starlets suffer from? or have i got a problem? it just feels a bit like the car is a little too light.

my 1.3i is a australian import which means it came with no creature comforts like power steering, leccy mirrors or leccy windows. so could it be that its just too light?

it doesn't bother me too much as its always been like it, but if there is something wrong id like to sort it.

any ideas?

cheers guys,

Rich.

mate you gotta take into concideration of the road surface if its greasy or dusty??roads are like that over here a lot! also your tyres come into it aswell how worn or quality they are (not saying your tyres are rubbish or that). i found that out when i put better brakes in my starlet! then just be a little easier on the pedal to prevent it locking up!

i didn't mean they lock up all the time, it just feels a bit skittish when braking. it's always been like it. it doesn't seem to matter if the roads are fresh an clean or if they're greasy as hell.

they dont give a lot of confidence.

they just seem to lock up without a lot of pressure.

my tires are falken, an the grip round corners is amazing compaired to my previous uniroyals, which is why i wondered if it was something wrong with my brakes. :unsure:

i didn't wanna upgrade my brakes an realise its something else causing it.

Rich.

Yeah esp in the wet, be careful whilst driving fast, the brakes lock up pretty fast or either skid as you are saying, shame the EP91 starlets dont have ABS. I had an accident 2 years ago whilst trying to brake quickly to avoid the car infront of me, but my brakes locked up and skidded and smashed into the car infront.

I have yokohama tyres and still find it hard to grid in the wet round roundabouts esp, but in the dry weather they are good.

Also i think it's because they starlet is light too.

This is what my car looked like smashed up :crybaby::crybaby:

Never again.

crash1.jpg

crash2.jpg

i thought it might be something like that.

been there, done that! i had an accident a year an a half ago, same thing 2!!

i had to fork out £850 in parts 2 get it back on the road. i'll c if i can find a pic.

Rich.

Yeah i agree the starlet brakes lock up pretty easily. We changed the fronts to grooved/drilled and ebc pads and they lock up real easily, you just have to modulate your braking which is harder than you think.

As for tyres, I have tried Yokohama, Toyo and Falken. I personally think there dry performance is good but allround and especially in the wet Michelin and Good Year are the best. I find Michelin lasts a bit longer but their tyres are considerably more expensive than anyone elses, but think its worth the extra.

i also took out a van when i first passed as my brakes locked up,lucky tho i managed to turn an hit him on the supposrt strut under the bonnet which goes along the sides doing minimal damage to my car,jus bonnet one headlighy,an bumper, but causing the van to need new lights,bumper,wing,an his arsh had moved a few inches :D so these lil fellars are tough :D but jus dnt be a prat an brake late :S

• 4 weeks later...
This is what my car looked like smashed up 

i've finally found the pics of when i crashed mine...

starlet%20damage.jpg

and then mid way through the repairs... (shelly this is where the black bonnet came from!)

starlet%20damage1.jpg

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

when good brakes lock up easily its a sign that there is air in the system.

air gets in the sytem when the brake fluid boils after you have been ragging it.

on my starlet i try and bleed my brakes atleast once a month when im giving the car a service that gets rid of any unwanted air..

you would be surprised at the diffference fresh brake fluid makes to the braking feel aswell..

some people are crusin around in cars which have never had fresh fluid.

most mechanics dont bother because its time consuming and if you dident know its usualy a two preson job to bleed the brakes unless you have a special tool.

My Glanza has ABS :P I also feel that my rear discs and pads take all the brunt of braking as there is more brake dust on them than on my fronts????

Under braking weight shifts forward, so the fronts always do more work.

This is why the front discs and pads are bigger, and front pads are thicker than rear pads

pads with a harder compound like ebc's green sftuff tend not to produce much brake dust at all wheres oe pads or cheap alternatives produce lots of the stuff.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links