Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

That Grindin Noise I Had Just Checked

jdbecks

just been checkin my car for that noise and i dont think it has ne thing to do about the pipes in power steering....my front right alloy gets hot and can smell like a burning smell..any ideas?

Yup,defo a brake caliper siezed. I've exp. the same problem a cpl of years ago. My cause tho was a faulty ABS block. Had to get a replacement one, which did fix the problem. Think is must have been like a sticking valve inside the block.

how much do u think this will set me back

Had this problem on my Celica GT...got to the stage where i would be driving and it fely like someone was holding me back... and the hotter it got.. the more it got stuck and the more it burned!.. :huh:

Cost me £130 to get a new calliper and the work doen from a garage.. but its not a job you can leave as it will warp the disks..

gotta drive back to camp tonight..then i get it done...im going to do the work with my mate..hes a mech...can get hold of a caliper for 65 notes...any one know of one cheeper?

WARNING!!! Don't be a skinflint on your brakes! They are the one thing that stops you smashing your pride and joy into some truck or whatever. :yes:

£65 is well cheap. The part will definately not be new - only a reconditioned part at that price. Nothing wrong with reconditioned calipers though. Both fronts on my MR2 were replaced with reconditioned originals and were more than fine.

Or you could try fensport. They offer a service where you buy a reconditioned caliper for £140 odd (IIRC) and then when they receive your knackered caliper, they refund the difference bringing your total spending to around £80 for original replacements.

It's probably a good idea to get the calipers and pads replaced to - especially if one side has been sticking. If doing these do both sides. :thumbsup:

Check out my brake replacement "how-to" in the "work-shop submissions" section of the site for more info.

Right, if the wheel is hot, it is likely that it is a binding caliper (you can confirm but looking for scorch marks on the disc, and holding your hand near to the discs. After a 5 minute drive they should be warm ish, but not scorching - compare with other wheels...).

I've just fixed the exact same problem on mine today (by replacing the caliper with one from my other MR2). I got home from work yesterday and it was literally smoking with heat! If your is like this, don't drive it.

You have two options:

1. buy a new/second hand caliper, not really a popular choice since they can be quite expensive.

2. Get a refirb kit from MR T - £40 ish, (don't forget the brake fluid too for bleeding - DOT 3 or 4 will be fine and they can be mixed).

Go to this like:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/technical/howto/Mk2Rev1Calliper.htm (for a rev1 car but

procedure exactly the same for other versions).

Follow the instructions - they're very good, the only tricky bit will be removing the cylinders they can be a bast**d.

I've refirbed a caliper for an MR2 before, it takes a bit of time but is pretty straightforward.

I'll be doing the one I've just taken off this weekend, so if you have any problems give us a shout.

You have the weekend to do this, but if the wheel is getting really hot, don't drive it. Try to fix it yourself if you can, since as you can see with Jimlad, a garage can charge a lot for repairs, and it is an easy enough job if you have some mechanicle experience.

You'll also need some new pads, replace pads on BOTH sides or your braking will be uneaven and dangerous!! You can get performance pads from FenSport or standard ones from MR T.

when i looked i have a binding caliper...but i will have to take it to a gargage because the lockin wheel nut i got is broken one of the legs is missin and it cant grip on the nut...im goin to have to get a garage to air chissel it off

how much do nuts cost from mr t?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links