Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

G-box On 92 Gts

NZMR2

I've just been offered one of these to buy at a very cheap price and I only really want it if it has LSD, cus I've got a Rev 1 Non LSD Turbo... Gutting. How can I tell if its LSD of not and will the LSD unit fit in to my non-LSD G-box. Thanks.

NZMR2.

I think midmotorsteve tried to fix an LSD unit to his car ages ago but there was a problem in aquiring the different length drive shafts or summin..wait for him to reply anyway! :hokus-pokus:

Well I saw this the other day and wanted to see if anyone else had any idea's. From what I could find out one way to see if it has an lsd, you need to take out one axle and look through the diff hole, If there is a metal bar going throught it, than its lsd. If you see a "donut" (hole in the middle) you don't have lsd. I THINK it will work with your transmission BUT you will need the lsd axles.

Im not 100% on all of the above though :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

You can check for an LSD by turning a drive shaft...... if the otherside turns the same way its got an LSD, if it turns the opposite way then its just got a diff..... simple,

The LSD will fit if its from a turbo g-box going in to a turbo g-box, (same box throughout) however the drivers side drive shaft is slightly longer on LSD cars so you will need that too......

HTH,

Matt.

You can check for an LSD by turning a drive shaft...... if the otherside turns the same way its got an LSD, if it turns the opposite way then its just got a diff..... simple,

Matt.

Unfortunitly that won't work.....the stock LSD on the mr2 is the viscous type lsd. If you turn one wheel, it will act like an open diff. The stock LSD is NOT a positraction or locked differential :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I got an aftermarket Kaaz LSD with drive shafts etc from Roguesystems and have it fitted to the car. Same gearbox that was in the car originally etc with no problems.

I got an aftermarket Kaaz LSD with drive shafts etc from Roguesystems and have it fitted to the car. Same gearbox that was in the car originally etc with no problems.

Pretty sure a turbo gearbox is fine but it's the NA gearbox that is the unknown part.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Ok the box is an LSD so I'm buying it, for those interesred I'm picking it up for NZ$200, I got a quote recently from a wrecker for $900. I'm gna rebuild it before it goes in the car, as I'm an apprentice mechanic and could do with the practise. :) Will I need both Drive shafts or just one?

NZMR2

Ok people who have done the 93 upwards to 91 swap say as far as axles go, you can buy the 93 half axles (you dont need the whole thing) and bolt them to your 91 shafts. You can also machine the 91 axles to fit the LSD. Basicly just swap the entire diff with everything on it. All you need to order from toyota is the half shafts.

Sweet :)

KiwiMR2

Sory, are the half shafts the ones with the C.V.'s on them or the shafts coming straight out of the diff. I know I should know this!

NZMR2.

I'll try & find out :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links