Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Number Plate Screws

thesealeyboy

HI everyone

Yesterday whilst closing my boot, the head on one of the plastic mumber plate screws on the back of the car broke off (which I cannot find now) leaving me with a diagonal hanging number plate and whats left of the screw stuck in side of the door.

Whats left of the screw sits flush with the boot so I cannot grab it with anything, does anyone have any idea of how I can get this out? Should I take this to toyota (giving that i've only had the car 4 months) or will it be more hassle than it's worth? I'm assuming somewhere like Halford will sell replacement ones?

TIA

J

drill a fresh hole and self tapper in it. :thumbsup:

My reg plate has done that twice so far. I'm sure it will do it again until I replace them with metal ones. Like the TRD bolts I've seen around.

:wacko:

Well after a trip to Halfords this evening, i bought a pack of 3 x 1mm thick sticky pads which will do the job for now. True there will be a visible hole still from the screw that broke, but i'm looking at buying some new plates with one of those EU logos on soon so that will solve that prob, until then i guess a piece of yellow insulation tape will cover it up nicely!

J

3 x 1mm thick sticky pads which will do the job for now.

Beware of sticky pads in the summer, as the plate gets hot it can drop off. Winter time will be fine. It's just that in summer time the perspex can try to warp a little and thus pull of the pad.

• 3 weeks later...

Update time: the other screw broke off a few days after me posting the above, and in temper I called Toyota to have a moan. The receptionist I spoke to explained that they think they had a dodgy batch of plastic screws a few moths back and this is why they have broken.

I took the car down the same day, it was round the back for 10 minutes and then the old screws were drilled out and new ones put in. They're still plastic but the heads look different to the original ones so fingers crossed!