Do Not Sell My Personal Information

windom specs

yeti

I am in the process of buying a windom, and i am trying to find information on the specs of these cars, such as fuel consumption, things that are likely to go wrong (things to look for when buying one), and anything else that would be useful. Any information would be greatfully appriciated

Hi Yeti

Where are you geographically? US, UK etc??

I have a Windom and could help you with any questions you may have

I am in NZ.

So far I have been looking at 2 Windoms, one '91 and one '92 and I really like them! They are just so lovely to drive! However, I dont know much about them at all, and was just wondering about things like fuel concumption (as it is a bigger car) and things to look out for when buying one. Further, are they good or bad for repairing (ie, are parts expensive, difficult to get to?), if something was to go wrong?

As I said, any information would be great.

Thanks!

Hi Yeti,

When i aquired mine I thought i was going to have problems in part costs etc.. but surprisingly it is not too bad for such a nice car. In fact in NZ you have quite a few windoms there as there are less than 200 here in the uk.. but parts are still widely available.

As for problems I have encountered you may wish to look out for.

Odo Needles tend to burn out and it is impossible to read the speedometer... start the car and leave for a few seconds with the dash lights on full brightness.. if they start to flicker then these are likely to burn out totally in a few months. This can be fixed but will cost a few hundred to fix.

Engine mounts wear out... this is a small fault that is easily fixed and will cost less than $100 to fix.

Electric windows... Check the electric windows and make sure they all work... very costly fix

Shocks - Check the shocks.. big car and these shocks wear out eaisly.. cheap to replace though.. no biggie

Sludgy - Check for service history and make sure the car has had oil changes... Check under the oil cap and inside the engine area for sludging.

Apart from a few things above i have experienced you should find the windom to be a fantastic car... very reliable!

Any other question please ask away!

Hi,

thanks heaps for that info. I am really pleased to hear that, as I think that I am falling with love with the cars! And I shall print out your answer and bring it with me when I look at the cars again.

Have you got any idea on what the fuel consumption is on the cars? I know that it is a bigger car, but normally toyotas are pretty good.

Further, what is the difference between the Lexus ES300 and the Windom? As far as I have understood, not a lot, is this correct?

Thanks again

A

Hi

The fuel consumption I think is about 25 - 27 mpg... Thats Miles not KM's.. but be warned.. drive these cars hard and it will be like throwing a dollar out of the window every minute. Drive these normally and you will find that it is not that bad and I certainly thinkk the ride quality is worth that little more... ride 1st class and you would expect to pay more.

As for the differences beween ES300 and Windom.. nothing apart from the Windom is fully loaded as standard if it is a jap import. Other than that I would rebadge it a lexus as I have done mine... The difference a Badge makes is very surprising!

you will not be dissapointed!

• 1 month later...

hi Windom_owner.. please see the question in your other thread... might be able to help you out.

Yeti

please let us know if you get your windom